Korean Judo University (This is Why They WIN!)

Sandan2008

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
This is my final video on how Korea integrates judo into their public schools and universities. It's no mystery or anything zen as to why they always end up on the podium. This video shows full circle how judo is part of the schools in Korea.

Fighting!

Yeah, Koreans don't mess around when it comes to education; Judo, Music, Math, etc.

Man, I wish the UK had this kind of support for the youth with their interests. Hell, I wish they gave ANY support for it. :p

Yeah, Koreans don't mess around when it comes to education; Judo, Music, Math, etc.

And overall it's turning out miserable, perpetually stressed out human beings.

But at least they're good at judo....

Well, they are very mediocre when it comes to music...

Sales in Asia is all they care about. Kpop SELLS in Asia... I don't get the appeal but I guess people love it.

Exactly. They take very similar approaches to each

For the Judo athletes in intermediate and high school seeking international competition, what is their day like? My coach said when he went to Korea, the Judoka were treated really well and had a person assigned to them who did the household duties like cooking, cleaning and washing.
As in the normal Korean student often goes to regular school from o800-1600, then night school from 1800-2300...to take the placement test around 18yo. For normal students this leaves little time for physical activity like Judo.

This is no different than other sports in other countries like hockey in Canada, basketball in the USA, soccer in Fritzland.

This is my final video on how Korea integrates judo into their public schools and universities. It's no mystery or anything zen as to why they always end up on the podium. This video shows full circle how judo is part of the schools in Korea.

Fighting!

I love your videos they really highlight the work ethic Korean Judokas put in.

I have a couple questions

1.) Are kids recruited into elite athletic schools
2.) Do they have a sponsorship package
3.) Are they allowed outside sponsors say in university years?
4.) Where can I find out more about korean judo
5.) Do the kids basically run the practice not they are in charge but the coach is almost a watcher

I played baseball in Japan at a tokyo university. Most guys there were recruited since high school. And if you know koshien you know that those 15 to 18 year old train full time every day. And usually only get 2 weeks off.

I wonder if korea is similar?

In japan baseball practice the coach played a smaller role because all players were there for the same reason so it was run by the players but still produced amazing results. The coach was more a strategist then a coach.

And overall it's turning out miserable, perpetually stressed out human beings.

But at least they're good at judo....

That's a bold statement to umbrella over an entire race considering the rising rates of unemployment and depression in Western countries...

But at least we're good at... Nah, we always get bested by an Eastern country eventually.

That's a bold statement to umbrella over an entire race considering the rising rates of unemployment and depression in Western countries...

But at least we're good at... Nah, we always get bested by an Eastern country eventually.

People have been singing doom and gloom about that since the 1970s. Still waiting. Meanwhile, they all want to come to the US for some reason.

Do you mean in Judo or just youth activities in general?

Youth activities in general, kids that play football get a lot of support over here, but I've been a big advocate of having funded arts projects and things like that, because sport isn't going to be everyones thing

As far as I read about S Korea, youth extracurricular activities like sports are minimal to non existant cause so much is placed on academia and the placement exam. We're talking about a country where most of the youth are in school 12to14 plus hours a day. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

I live in Korea and teach children ranging from ages 4-13. I'm not disparaging Korean society out of ignorance, I'm currently smack dab in the middle of it and am speaking from experience.

I have kids that go to anywhere between 5-8 'hagwons' or private education academies in addition to their regular public schooling. The pressure on the kids to excel (placed on them by family and a society OBSESSED with material posession and image) is outrageous, so outrageous, that Korea has the highest suicide rate in the world among developed nations. Students make up a fair portion of that.

There's much more that lies beneath the veneer of South Korean commercial--and i would presume athletic--success. And in my experience, much of it is very, very ugly.

Last edited:
I live in Korea and teach children ranging from ages 4-13. I'm not disparaging Korean society out of ignorance, I'm currently smack dab in the middle of it and am speaking from experience.

I have kids that go to anywhere between 5-8 'hagwons' or private education academies in addition to their regular public schooling. The pressure on the kids to excel (placed on them by family and a society OBSESSED with material posession and image) is outrageous, so outrageous, that Korea has the highest suicide rate in the world among developed nations. Students make up a fair portion of that.

There's much more that lies beneath the veneer of South Korean commercial--and i would presume athletic--success. And in my experience, much of it is very, very ugly.

Korea is not a nice place to be if you're a child.

I speak from experience, and it has only gotten significantly worse in the past decade or so since I've left.

Back