Korean BBQ - have you tried it?

Fun Fact. Sushi was originally sold as street food that you were supposed to eat with your hands. Now it's oneof the most expensive cuisines to consume.
I saw a documentary about the culinary use of fish throughout the world and apparently sushi in it’s original form is totally different from what it is now. They used to ferment the fish between beds of rice and shit. There are people in Japan who still make it but not sure if I would enjoy it

Fun Fact. Sushi was originally sold as street food that you were supposed to eat with your hands. Now it's oneof the most expensive cuisines to consume.
And the king of sushi, bluefin tuna, used to be cat food. Now Otoro is pricey as heck, man.

Most Korean food is peasant food though. Koreans will protest what seems like an insult but I don’t mean to be derisive. Most of my favorite foods are poor people food. But like most poor people food, Korean food is good but it’s nothing to harp on about how amazing it is. People make it out to be more than it really is.
Most any food is peasant food, italian, French, Japanese, Indian, whatever. Same undeserved praise can go for any country's cuisine. It's just a matter of differences in preference and taste.

I've got no problem eating peasant food either. But when it comes down to hyping meat up, it better deliver. When it doesn't, then you have to call it for what it's worth.
Maybe you went to a place that serves cheap cuts of meat. Meat isn't hard. Buy a good cut, it'll taste good as long as you don't carbonize it.

love KBBQ, hate the attitudes of many off the boat Koreans, though

i know it's mostly cultural, but if you go to a legit Korean restaurant patronized by only Koreans (not these modern tourist/happy hour/vegas type places ), they treat you differently if you are not specifically Korean and it's very obvious

and if you are an non-korean Asian, even worse for you

i am the last person to be a Politically correct type, but there have been countless times where ive gone to KBBQs (im white) with friends (mostly white with some non korean asians) and we've felt this way to the point of every single one of us brought it up as soon as we left the place

i know asians are generally not PC , but pretty much every single one of my non Korean Asian friends agrees that Koreans are the most openly biased against other asians.....they dont even try to hide it

despite all of this, the korean food is so good that it outweighs any negatives, we'll always to to our KBBQ spots

I'm Korean and all the negative things being said about our people and our cuisine doesn't even bother me. I complain about Koreans a lot, myself, funny as that might sound. But I'll tell you this, once you're friends with them, they'll always be generous and will always make sure you never go hungry. You can have a fist fight with them one night and hang out with them the next. They're drunks, they're fighters, they're sensitive as fuck, but they respect their elders and value friendship and family. And for the Argentine guy that says our food sucks, fair enough. Nobody is forcing you to eat it. I for one think Korean food is amongst the tastiest in the world and I love pretty much every sort of cuisine. The endless amount of pickled side dish options is what really makes me love our cuisine. I accept the good and the bad. It's just a part of being Korean :)

i know it's mostly cultural, but if you go to a legit Korean restaurant patronized by only Koreans (not these modern tourist/happy hour/vegas type places ), they treat you differently if you are not specifically Korean and it's very obvious

i am the last person to be a Politically correct type, but there have been countless times where ive gone to KBBQs (im white) with friends (mostly white with some non korean asians) and we've felt this way to the point of every single one of us brought it up as soon as we left the place

i know asians are generally not PC , but pretty much every single one of my non Korean Asian friends agrees that Koreans are the most openly biased against other asians.....they dont even try to hide it

despite all of this, the korean food is so good that it outweighs any negatives, we'll always to to our KBBQ spots

My gf is Asian (not Korean), and we eat mostly Korean BBQ or at Japanese or Chinese restaurants...a lot of times I'm the only non Asian there (I'm white)...I see what you're talking about a little, but haven't had any really bad experiences...I agree though, the food is so good that it definitely outweighs it...

My gf is Asian (not Korean), and we eat mostly Korean BBQ or at Japanese or Chinese restaurants...a lot of times I'm the only non Asian there (I'm white)...I see what you're talking about a little, but haven't had any really bad experiences...I agree though, the food is so good that it definitely outweighs it...
With that said, I bet you're going to the places with the best food. If there's mostly Asians in there, the authenticity of the food must be on par for the most part.

I'm Korean and all the negative things being said about our people and our cuisine doesn't even bother me. I complain about Koreans a lot, myself, funny as that might sound. But I'll tell you this, once you're friends with them, they'll always be generous and will always make sure you never go hungry. You can have a fist fight with them one night and hang out with them the next. They're drunks, they're fighters, they're sensitive as fuck, but they respect their elders and value friendship and family. And for the Argentine guy that says our food sucks, fair enough. Nobody is forcing you to eat it. I for one think Korean food is amongst the tastiest in the world and I love pretty much every sort of cuisine. The endless amount of pickled side dish options is what really makes me love our cuisine. I accept the good and the bad. It's just a part of being Korean :)

I train in UFC and have several Korean friends through the gym. Most talk a lot of shit and angry but overall they're cool. They help out at churches and non profit organizations. One even helped me move when I asked him the night before. True friend right there.

The best in Hawaii.

ginas.jpg

Bulgogi and soju was a way of life while I was stationed in Korea. Since then, I've developed a taste for kimchi. Just went back to Korea.... ate lots of bibimbab.
Never ate dog, "kaegogi"

I've heard of some places selling crappy meat. Common sense holds up; find a quality KBBQ and stick with it.

That's because white folk tip well. Except for sherdoggers.

... to a Korean BBQ? My family has been going to this one Korean BBQ place called DOH here in Las Vegas. All these Korean BBQ restaurants have a very good amount of variety.

Basically, it's all you can eat. You order whatever meat you want and you cook it in front of you and they have a shit ton of side dishes.

20140721-LA-korean-bbq-honey-pig-farley-elliott.jpg

We ate at Biwon Korean BBQ and sushi joint lastnight:

2721 W Sahara Ave, Las Vegas, NV 89102

Would post pic but I'm on a phone.

Our waitress was the surly yet sultry Lady G. (Filipino I think).

She didn't take no lip fro the Korean head waiter; made him speak English too.

It was expensive, but my wife seemed to enjoy it, and wants to go back once more before we leave for the dirty H.

too much jaja myun messes with my stomach

I heard its because all the dog fat the chinese use in the sauce.

@Pugilistic can you confirm?
Korean BBQ is straight trash. I live in LA and have tried it because I was told "It was, LIKE the best thing ever". The food and meat is pure trash and disgusting. Being Argentine, I know a thing or two about steak and the garbage they give you at Korean BBQ is peasant food.
Korean bbq does not involve steak

yeah i love korean bbq. but here in sydney it most definitely is not all you can eat.

its cool to have the grill on your table and do all the things yourself.

also i love the korean side dishes. kim chi, some spinach salad.. more that i am forgetting but i love a spread like this minus the omlette thing in the middle.
is

We actually treat japanese very well

Back