Knockout or Submission after Dazing Opponent

rnc if available is always a good option - florian guida was pretty sweet
BJ Penns bread and butter finish as well.

Submissions can fail too. See Nog-Mir II.

Lesson 1. Don't jump to try and sub a guy who might have a better finishing sub game than you.

If I knock Maia down with strikes I am not leaping in to try and finish him with a sub. Just not a good idea.

Depends on the situation, but I feel like following up with more strikes after you've got your opponent rocked is the safer way to secure the finish.

Armbar from mount if they're dazed or hurt. If you miss the arm there's usually a triangle opportunity waiting

Well in my last fight I head kicked a guy and he started walking side ways and I charged him with a 1,2 and he ducked under for a takedown. I reversed it on the way down sloppy lateral drop style and mounted him and punched him in the face until the ref stopped it.

In hindsight I should have stayed composed and not rush in to try and knock him out. But to answer the question I haven't scored a submission yet in mma so that's probably what I would go for if I had a redo.

ufc-138-pickett-barao-1.gif

Strikes are always the best option.

If you go to the submission you can fail.

If you fail striking, if you opponent is blocking, the ref can still end the fight if you put the right pressure...

Read Dazing as "Danzig" and was going to ask if English was your primary language LOL

Strikes. Especially if VS a guy with a good chin/recovery. Even if you don't put the guy all the way out you still have a chance of a ref stoppage. Whereas if you pull an Erick Silva and fish for a sub, you may just give the opponent time to recover.

Cerrone is just a killer with those subs on rocked opponents. Dude is lethal with them. Probably 3/4s of the subs on his record come in this manner. People who say he doesn't have power in his strikes aren't paying attention, because if he followed up with strikes instead of subs, a lot of those subs would probably be TKOs. He's just really good with those follow up subs so he takes advantage of those opportunities.
Yep, his win over Siver could have easily been "KO (head kick and punches)" instead. Pretty sure the Paul Kelly fight ended similarly as well. Dude's just a ruthless finisher overall.

Last edited:
i'm a pretty conservative guy, in general. so i'd go for the back. position over submission; if you can't get the RNC, you still have a nice little bit of insurance.

but perhaps, the best thing to do is tag the chin, regardless of how. if someone is rocked, you need to touch his chin.

i'll keep contradicting myself, so i'm gonna take the easy way out and say "it depends on the opponent"

Depends on the position I wind up in, the opponent, and if the previous fights were any good. The guy above said it best with the bonus.

If I wind up in a great position for gnp, then gnp.
Great sub position, still go for gnp.

Opponent with great sub defense or subs, ala mir, keep punching.
Opponent with awful sub defense, ala Guillard, sub.

If great fights before, do whatever is safer for me at the time.
Bad fights before, go for the bonus money with a sub or something.

i'm a pretty conservative guy, in general. so i'd go for the back. position over submission; if you can't get the RNC, you still have a nice little bit of insurance.
Yeah... like armbars :wink:

No sarcasm. Could you provide an example for me where someone gassed after one failed sub in such a situation? I can only think of examples where guys punched themselves out trying to get the TKO.

Overeem/Shogun. Overeem gassed after going for a guillotine choke.

Strike! I think there a better chance to finish the fight

Back