Knockout or Submission after Dazing Opponent

bdawk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you were fighting and maybe you do, here is a question.

After dazing your opponent with striking, would you continue to try to strike for a knockout or like in Cerrone's last fight (I think) take advantage of a dazed opponent and go in for what could be an easy submission?

To me it seems that going for more strikes to finish via knockout fails pretty often for one reason or another.

If I thought it were available, I think I would go for the easy submission.

I'd go for the submission depending on what position we were in, plus I would try to keep in mind if there were any submissions that night. Need that bonus money :D of course that went all kinds of wrong for Nog against Mir.

rnc if available is always a good option - florian guida was pretty sweet

rnc if available is always a good option - florian guida was pretty sweet

That's the way I think I'd go too.

With continuous strikes if you are not successful with the knockout, you might gas trying.

brah I'm 6'4 245 lbs shredded I'm way too big to "stun" somebody, if i hit you, you're out man, you're out.

Always try to finish with strikes. How many times have we seen guys hurt their opponent and then go for a sub only to not get it and gas out?

brah I'm 6'4 245 lbs shredded I'm way too big to "stun" somebody, if i hit you, you're out man, you're out.

79399-piraci.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going for submission after stunning someone is very professional and smart. It's always good to try if you dont feel you can finish him with one or more blow. There are just some guys that will not go down.

Lets imagine fighting someone like Junior Dos Santos - knocking him out dont even sound realistic.

If Mr. Cain Velasquez would go for submission more often he would finish his fights much quicker. He is very brutal with his striking but some submissions would be great weapon with his dominant wrestling. Its only thing that he is lack of.

Submissions and maybe some better kicks. And Cain would be complete. Just my opinion.

Depends on the situation. If the sub is right there I would take it. But any second could be enough for your opponent to recover so if his head is right open I would keep punching.

I've had a few AMMA fights and whenever that situation presents itself, I go for the sub. Submissions are just more reliable in my opinion.

Always try to finish with strikes. How many times have we seen guys hurt their opponent and then go for a sub only to not get it and gas out?

That can be said as well for how many times guys have gassed themselves out by trying to finish by strikes (Ie: Lesnar/Carwin).

No sarcasm. Could you provide an example for me where someone gassed after one failed sub in such a situation? I can only think of examples where guys punched themselves out trying to get the TKO.

If I dropped a guy and he wasn't finished outright then I would definitely try to submit him while he was rocked.

I really, really like what Cerrone does because hammer-fists only seem to work when the guy is already half-kayoed and basically unable to properly defend himself. I would only try to GnP if I thought I could actually knock him out with a few clean shots.

Me? I can not remember ever seeing it.

I'm looking forward to it though.

Maybe Ronda will gas from to many arm bar attempts in her next fight.

Me? I can not remember ever seeing it.
Happened in Erick Silva vs. Matt Brown last week, he crumpled Brown with a body kick then took his back and tried to choke him out then seemingly had no gas once they had returned to their feet.

Shit like that is definitely the exception rather than the norm, but it does happen.

No but to give a serious answer, going for the submission is a good idea if you can lock it quickly, otherwise you are just giving him time to recover.
But I have 0 experience with MMA fighting, I've only competed in striking arts and grappling when i was a kid so I'm not sure if my answer is really worth anything.

Cerrone is just a killer with those subs on rocked opponents. Dude is lethal with them. Probably 3/4s of the subs on his record come in this manner. People who say he doesn't have power in his strikes aren't paying attention, because if he followed up with strikes instead of subs, a lot of those subs would probably be TKOs. He's just really good with those follow up subs so he takes advantage of those opportunities.

Always GnP

its not like you only have to throw hammer fists. im surprised more guys dont throw kicks and knees to the body

Back