Kneeling closed guard break

snakeybizz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So last night rolling with the laziest guard player ever...he latched on closed guard and for 5 full minutes I could not open it what so ever. The only time he mounted any sort of offensive was when I stood up, which is when he went for sweep attempts, tripping me up a good amount of times but I would scramble back to top in the closed guard.

I feel really strong and compact on my knees and most of my passes are from here but 0 of my guard breaks happen from the knees...the only one I have been shown is the basic 1 knee in the butt, the other knee at 4 o clock and push back. This never works on a strong or skilled opponent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4fz-kV8fuY

I have found one break that looks pretty good, which is a variation of the knee in the butt technique... I'm going to try this out next time I roll, anyone have any other guard break ideas/videos/tips/advice from kneeling?

Cheers!

Stand to break Closed Guard. Seriously.

I seem to have a problem with doing that on everyone because I have quite a short torso... and so when people put on a closed guard its usually on my ribs so when I stand its impossible to get posture without exposing my legs. I dunno if this is a common problem but I experience it alot. Most peoples guard wrap round another persons lower back but for me its sort of the high rib area.

I think I've explained that clearly, you will have to try and imagine lol

I was thinking more of the standing. I'm not real good, but I have noticed that there are better and worse ways to stand. I normally try to get some type of control over their arms before I stand. This makes it harder for them to sweep. I like the log splitter break after getting my hands on their biceps. I feel like it makes them take the extra step of breaking that bicep grip before they can sweep and that's enough time for me to adjust or reset. I wish I could be more helpful but I'm not good at describing what to do exactly when you stand.

Consider the Tozi/Paulista Pass

I didn't recognize the name but after a quick Google search I do actually use this guard break a lot its really effective, just trying to get the wrist and feeding it is the tricky part. Once I get the wrist fed through though it always work without fail to open the guard

anyone within 20lbs of my bodyweight and it will work...the technique isn't universal

If a technique will only work on people within 20lbs of your weight, it's a pretty crappy technique. The majority of people I roll with are 50 - 100 lbs heavier than me, some being over twice my weight. I want techniques that will work on people of all sizes not just large, medium or small. Also, if Roger, Marcelo, the Mendes bros and Braulio (plus I'm sure many other top black belts) advise passing standing, I'm pretty sure it's advice worth listening to...

If a technique will only work on people within 20lbs of your weight, it's a pretty crappy technique. The majority of people I roll with are 50 - 100 lbs heavier than me, some being over twice my weight. I want techniques that will work on people of all sizes not just large, medium or small. Also, if Roger, Marcelo, the Mendes bros and Braulio (plus I'm sure many other top black belts) advise passing standing, I'm pretty sure it's advice worth listening to...

exactly, I agree with you the technique is garbage...thats why I'm asking for alternatives, I want universal techniques...not techniques that only work in my weight class or people smaller then me

exactly, I agree with you the technique is garbage...thats why I'm asking for alternatives, I want universal techniques...not techniques that only work in my weight class or people smaller then me

This is how Roger (and much less importantly, I) like to open closed guard. Trumpet Dan breaks it down really well, plus he shows some great details that made it much easier for me.

[YT]nXeozpPXvJo[/YT]

[YT]atuyy9enuR0[/YT]

I lived on those trumpetdan videos for my first year. He provides such a good understanding of the masters game. Anyone starting jits can use his videos to get a solid basic game going. I still use it but have been building off of it.

I was at a Pedro Sauer seminar and he explained a few small tiny details about standing and it has made my game that much better. I feel comfortable standing on anyone in their closed guard. Sure I may get swept but I feel like I have a solid enough foundation that it is worth going for it rather then staying in closed guard and getting worked.

Pedro suggested the idea of "dirty feet" and made a small adjustment to how I maintained my base and where I stood/positioned my weigt during ukes attacks

I seem to have a problem with doing that on everyone because I have quite a short torso... and so when people put on a closed guard its usually on my ribs so when I stand its impossible to get posture without exposing my legs. I dunno if this is a common problem but I experience it alot. Most peoples guard wrap round another persons lower back but for me its sort of the high rib area.

I think I've explained that clearly, you will have to try and imagine lol

Control a wrist and he can't attack your legs.

theese are good vids, although I only do no-gi but some of the concepts still apply so thanks for the links

i like the marcelo explosive stand up, reach behind and pop open quickly or the funky one where he stands up with one leg standing on opponents arm and pop open with your 2 free arms.

of course the classic stand up controlling one arm is great too.

Back