Kneeing a thai bag

Achilles

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I mounted a thai bag in my garage a couple of months ago, but whenever I throw more than a few knees at it in one session, it skins my knees. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Your sure she wasn't a ladyboy? They can be awfully convincing..

Yea..its called training..Welcome!

Achilles said:
I mounted a thai bag in my garage a couple of months ago, but whenever I throw more than a few knees at it in one session, it skins my knees. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
Is it leather or cloth?
You should try to throw the knee so that they don't slide against the bag upon contact. Straight in and out.

meng_mao said:
Is it leather or cloth?
You should try to throw the knee so that they don't slide against the bag upon contact. Straight in and out.
Yea..stab your knee up and out..Its probably gonna happen on your elbows too so i would say get used to it

Skinned knees is your worry?

It doesn't matter how you throw the knee, throw it enough and hard, your knee will hurt.

Go train some more and before long it will be an afterthought.

Maybe look into one of those gel wrestling knee pads. And make sure the knee is going in, not up.

Sorry, did you say you're practicing knees on a thai bag, meaning the long banana bag? Better to practice knees on the regular short bag.

Also, maybe your technique is wrong...

It's a leather bananna bag. It doesn't happen so much to my elbows. When doing pads this shit doesn't happen, so maybe my technique isn't great or maybe I should just do knees when doing pads (or both). Thanks for all of the responses.

i got a 150lb bag (not thai) and the same thing happens to me, I think because the bottom of the bag is harder than the middle/top. It mostly happens when I'm throwing multiple knees fast though, most likely from a bit of fatigue/sloppiness. just suck it up.

On pads the target conforms and angles to the knee so you don't get the same level of slipping, which causes the removal of skin. To avoid this make sure your kick goes forwards rather than upwards, personally i dont like throwing knees to a heavy bag unless its from the clinch, where I can push the bag back so that it angles away from me nd makes a better striking surface.

Your knees will hurt. They're supposed to. No pain no gain, remember?

I have the same problem using knees on a heavy bag. I use the same neoprene knee sleeves I use for grappling & the problem is solved. Thye work better than pads because you still feel full impact, just don't lose any skin.

Why dont we get a description of how you are throwing your knees? Otherwise its just speculation.

does is make a differenece if you have a thai bag or regular heavy bag when practicing your knees?

legshot420 said:
Your knees will hurt. They're supposed to. No pain no gain, remember?

Yeah, shoot yourself please.

I never skin my knees with the thai shorts on. I only did when I wore karate pants once to train.

Back