Kneebars for blue belts

Good question. Never seen it happen in competition, obviously enough given how strict they are. Has happened in training before, but only with people with already suspect knees, so take that how you want.

If anyone can chuck us a video, would be interesting!

Take care,

Oli

I really don't think that kneebars are that dangerous, one has plenty of time to tap before it blows out not so in the case of heelhooks.

Never seen someone get injuried because of a "knee-reap".
When i heard about the "no-reaping" in BJJ rule i was surprised, because it's something you do a lot in sambo.
At first i thought it was to prevent stalling because at lower belts it's easy to reap the knee, grab the leg and just hang on to it for dear life, all the while preventing a guard pass, when you actually can't use leglocks because they are not legal.
Then i heard the rule was in place to prevent injuries. WAT? :/

I'm a big fan of the rolling kneebar position, though I don't use it as a submission, more as a sweep and for control. I'll figure-four/triangle my legs and just take them down.

Hope that's allowed in competition (just like 50/50 is, but heel hooks aren't, in most).

Once you damage a joint - specifically the ligaments, it never heals properly. As a judoka who has separated his shoulder, let me tell you that it is a debilitating injury, and short of having re-constructive surgery (having titanium screws drilled into my shoulder), the joint will never operate the way it's supposed to.

In my position, I would say err to the side of caution. Yes, for some people that is going to suck, but when you look at the severity of the injury, I'd say it's worth it.

And honestly, I see way too many people recklessly try and apply submissions, without the proper technique, which is a recipe for disaster.

Kneebar is not a very dangerous submission. It takes a lot of force to apply a kneebar to the point of tapping somebody, and even more force to actually damage the knee. It doesn't come on very quickly, you have time to tap. I don't have much problem with it.

Twisting leglocks are very different. You can tear somebody's knee apart with a reverse heelhook before they even know you are doing anything.

Idk why the hell people are so scared of leg locks. I've never seen a single injury as the result of one (knock on wood).

At my gym, everybody knee bars and footlocks, but no heelhooks. We've never had an injury, including in no-gi comps wherein kneebars are legal at intermediate level. Sambo guys do leglocks from the first day, it hasn't seemed to hurt them too much.

And yet they think choking is too dangerous...so strange.

Idk why the hell people are so scared of leg locks. I've never seen a single injury as the result of one (knock on wood).

So you think all the guys telling stories on here about having their knees torn by heelhooks are lying?

Ask your training partners, I bet some of them have had their knees hurt from leglocks when you weren't there.

Back