Kneebar Pain

MongoMudd

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A friend of mine keeps saying that you can't feel pain when trapped in a kneebar until the damage is already done. I tell him he is mistaken, and actually talking about a heel hook. I am not a master at leglocks, so could someone let me know if I am right or wrong...

I definitely feel pain before any damage is done. But it probably varies from person to person.

you feel pain in the knee bar, and in the heel hook, before damage is done, so you're both wrong.

~Foz

A friend of mine keeps saying that you can't feel pain when trapped in a kneebar until the damage is already done. I tell him he is mistaken, and actually talking about a heel hook. I am not a master at leglocks, so could someone let me know if I am right or wrong...

what you said is more correct.Of course it differs from person to person, but generally the pain window before a heelhook is small to non-existant, as the ligaments have few/no pain receptors.
Kneebar hurts.

Damage is done as you feel pain, thats why it hurts.

Heel hooks are more dangerous as far as I know because there is less time to tap, if you watch Renzo's inverted heel hook instructional he says a lot of guys tap with a scream.

Well sometimes it hurts before the damage is done, no?

It might not cause an injury but if something hurts it means its time to tap or else unless you want to risk an injury, if you can feel it through the adrenaline then its probably worse than you think.

A general consensus is that pain does not occur before damage, regarding knee attacks (heel hooks and kneebars). Pain does occur before damage for armbars though.

Knee damage from these attacks (such as ACL tears) do not heal on their own, but require surgery.

Don't take a chance. Just tap out when you get caught.

knees are not very sensitive, and people think they're alright and try to hold out if they don't know better. the second you feel pressure on your knee from any leglock it is wise to tap, many times it's just pressure, then a serious injury.

the funny thing witth the knee joint is that the breaking point and the threshold of pain are sooo close together in comparsion to other joints, so when you kneebar or heel hook someone they might not feel pain until it is too late, thats why heel hooks are usually an illiagle submission hold in most lower belt submission tournaments, because one shatattered knee can end someones creere...

I've been in a fully extended knee-bar and felt no pain. My leg was actually alittle past 180 degrees. I was perfectly fine. Some people are just more flexable so I doubt there's a set rule about when you feel the pain.

I've been in a fully extended knee-bar and felt no pain. My leg was actually alittle past 180 degrees. I was perfectly fine. Some people are just more flexable so I doubt there's a set rule about when you feel the pain.

thats just a little silly imo...

i really hope that was in a fight, or the finals of a big tourny. it's not wise to risk injury to your knee. they take forever to heal and often require surgery

you feel pain in the knee bar, and in the heel hook, before damage is done, so you're both wrong.

~Foz

What about an in iverted or reverse heel hook, I hear you dont feel the pain until it's too late.

I know how badly you can get hurt with them so I never wait around long enough to find out for myself.

Back