Kneebar Entries

dza76wutang

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Anyone have any unique/cool/effective kneebar entries they'd like to share?

I'm just brainstorming ways to hit them.

My favorite way to kneebar at current is from bottom half-guard, I hug behind their hip/bum, I cross my ankles behidn their ankle/calf and bridge into their knee. If they get off axis, I can use the locked leg for a sweep.

I do the armbar-kneebar transition from guard a lot
Rolling kneebars if they take my back

I do the rolling kneebar from turtle. I also do it from an opponent's open guard.

My favorite one is when I am being elevated from there half guard I will spin around and catch there knee!

I notice that when I have the reverse mount and go to kneebar my opponent will lock his leg in a triangle and I rarely finish it from there!

I love Leg locks. Stephen Kesting's kneebar dvd set and leg lock dvd set did wonders for me in that we don't work leglocks much in my academy. I also recently purchased Bodycomb's dvd set.

Does anyone here have Gokor's set? I am looking into getting that one also! Any good dvd's on catching leglocks from bottom half guard?

I love knee bars, here are some of my favourites...

From turtle when opponent behind you

Backspin from top half guard

From guard when opponent is standing/defending against an armbar

From north/south, 'hopping' up to rear mount

In scarf hold as opponent attempts to take your back

And of course this...(im def not as slick as this dude)

YouTube - ?????????? ???? ?? ?????, ??? # 18

Here's a nice setup from standing that I've been studying :

You can either do it when you opponent has the underhook (like in the video), or from the russian tie (2 on 1). Igor Yakimov shows both in his old leglock set.

My favorite entry is countering De La Riva. Your opposite arm crosses under your leg to grab the knee of their hooking leg. Then its either backstep pass or slide down the pole for the kneebar.

In the gi, from standing:

Setup: You break their collar grip and drag the arm across your body. cross hand has the sleeve, other hand reaches around the back and catches the gi at the lat, right under the armpit.

Then: You fake like you're going for a sumi gaeshi, but instead you keep the sweeping foot in place and hop parallel to him. Then, keeping the grip on the lat, you dive into a forward roll, catching the heel with the hand that was gripping the sleeve, and finishing the kneebar.

really hard to teach online without a demo

Damn, the one I described is almost identical to that video, but with a different grip.

Still a personal favorite of mine in training, and it's unfortunately illegal in most gi tournaments at my level.

Anyone have any unique/cool/effective kneebar entries they'd like to share?

I'm just brainstorming ways to hit them.

My favorite way to kneebar at current is from bottom half-guard, I hug behind their hip/bum, I cross my ankles behidn their ankle/calf and bridge into their knee. If they get off axis, I can use the locked leg for a sweep.

Be careful with the sweep, the twisting will tear your partner/opponents ACL. This is the exact way my ACL was torn for the third time. I gave up the sweep to relieve pressure, but it still tore.

In the gi, from standing:

Setup: You break their collar grip and drag the arm across your body. cross hand has the sleeve, other hand reaches around the back and catches the gi at the lat, right under the armpit.

Then: You fake like you're going for a sumi gaeshi, but instead you keep the sweeping foot in place and hop parallel to him. Then, keeping the grip on the lat, you dive into a forward roll, catching the heel with the hand that was gripping the sleeve, and finishing the kneebar.

really hard to teach online without a demo

We practiced this at class the other night, except that rather than going for sumi gaeshi, we were attacking using O goshi with uke's arm across the front. It looks like a cross between sode tsurikomi goshi and o goshi, but in the end it's just a modified o ogoshi.

i have a lot of success with kneebars from x-guard as well as when passing with the single underhook

Fabio's kneebar from Euros. After i saw him hit it, i started playing with it.

Very unexpected.

Very unexpected.

Haha, that was awesome. I saw it coming and was trying to figure out what it would take to finish it. Apparently not much.

I recently discovered the kneebar when they try to roll out of the omoplata. I have yet to hit it in a roll.

I use very few leglocks in general, but the one kneebar I hit is to spin for it when he is trying to establish deep half.

I love to alternate between kneebars and toe-hold attacks set up from reverse mount.

Very unexpected.

Top version of the bottom half one I like. I find it MUCH harder to finish from the top.

Anyone ever try the reverse viktor roll* entry? It's kind of like the sliding heelhook Imanari uses but you go to a kneebar instead of a heel hook. I can do it on a compliant partner but I've never finished it live.

*AFAIK A Sambist named Viktor "invented" (probably rediscovered, but hey, who knows?) the rolling kneebar so the reverse direction is, again AFAIK called a reverse Viktor roll. Anyone know if this is true?

Here is one of the best kneebar enteries you can find. I will post the entry video, the kneebar video and the option B video

Back