Knee Swelling

Dirtmcgurt

White Belt
Reaction score
Lately iv'e been noticing some tightness in my knees when I go from a kneeling to a standing position. The other day when I got home from class I noticed my left knee cap had some swelling on top of it. I don't think I banged it so not sure as to what happened, but im icing it and taking the day off training. Seems kneepads are in my future, anyone else have issues like this with the knees?

When I started judo, my knees were swollen, red and painful all of the time. It seemed like it came more from the crawling and grinding during ground-fighting than from the scattered impact during tachiwaza.

I picked up a set of those cotton volleyball kneepads and I wear them every time I roll. Never had knee pain since.

X ray, MRI. Yes its alot of money but u will know for sure if their are any problems

not to scare you but it could be an infection like staph? if its swollen and tender but you didn't "injure" it somehow that would be my first guess..

Is it puffy, or is it hard and swollen?

If it's puffy and feels like there's fluid under there, it's probably bursitis. RICE, compress, often goes away on its own (but wear knee pads).

If it's inflamed and hard (where it hurts to bend it especially), see a doc, and soon. Could be anything from ligament or meniscus damage to an in-joint staph infection.

If it's puffy and feels like there's fluid under there, it's probably bursitis. RICE, compress, often goes away on its own (but wear knee pads).

I had a period of time where I was getting bursitis all the time. It's pretty annoying and it takes a little while to go away, but it didn't stop me from rolling. I took it as an excuse to work my bottom game exclusively.

I had a period of time where I was getting bursitis all the time. It's pretty annoying and it takes a little while to go away, but it didn't stop me from rolling. I took it as an excuse to work my bottom game exclusively.

Same for me. It turned out that mine was partially caused by a meniscus tear though, so it didn't go away until that was cleared up.

Same for me. It turned out that mine was partially caused by a meniscus tear though, so it didn't go away until that was cleared up.

That sucks. What do they do for a meniscus tear? I've always suspected that I have some meniscus damage from way back.

That sucks. What do they do for a meniscus tear? I've always suspected that I have some meniscus damage from way back.

It was unrepairable, so they scoped out almost all of the meniscus in that knee. Also removed a couple of the bursa sacs that were compromised. Swelling went away, but I'm projected to have arthritis before I'm 40 in that knee. I think I might already have it.

Back