Knee slide pass killing my de la riva

by dead in front i just mean square (must be an aussie term sry), never inactive... check rafa's & ary's vids on the berimbolo, they play the same shallow hook starting in front... the angle is important but i work from that control first and my free foot helps to controls space... i am only a purple and my gauird still generally gets shredded by blacks, but i am very comfortable using it against purples and most browns

What do you do if someone leans their front knee forward? The hook will pop right out and you'll never get the angle.

This is a tiny motion. I do this on people constantly and it shuts down the DLR before it starts. They have to switch something else since they can't use their foot to get an angle anymore. I'm essentially widening their base. Imagine if their legs and hip are kind of circuluar. My posture is molding that circle into a scquare so it can no longer roll to an angle. They're stuck.

Again, I'm sure you can rest against someone at your level, but if someone goes in their with the mindset to kill the DLR I don't imagine you staying in this position long. You'd either react faster or switch guards.

I love this thread already - the knee slide pass is my #1 problem in BJJ and I'm just picking brains here.

What do you do if someone leans their front knee forward? The hook will pop right out and you'll never get the angle.

This is a tiny motion. I do this on people constantly and it shuts down the DLR before it starts. They have to switch something else since they can't use their foot to get an angle anymore. I'm essentially widening their base. Imagine if their legs and hip are kind of circuluar. My posture is molding that circle into a scquare so it can no longer roll to an angle. They're stuck.

Again, I'm sure you can rest against someone at your level, but if someone goes in their with the mindset to kill the DLR I don't imagine you staying in this position long. You'd either react faster or switch guards.

this is the first mini battle in DLR, i control their heel and do not allow them to turn their foot out, i use my free foot on their stomach to off balance them and try to get them seated for the berimbolo

oh & i should also mention that is only if i have belt + foot grip... if i have sleeve + collar i do something else

If your grips/ posture have been dominated and your opponent has managed to get into a knee slide position there are several things you can do to precent the pass... Saulo and Caio Terra explain this really well in there sets.. I personally like to pinch my knees together, win the underhook or sleeve grip to prevent opponent from basing, grip the sliding knee and bridge transferring their hips to other side for the sweep..

Failing that il pull the sliding knee towards me and push my top knee into there bum forcing there weight forward to allow me to come up to the single.. This is fairly high percentage and at least creates abit of a scramble.. But id try address the reasons behind whats allowing your opponents to get to this position rather than a 'magic cure'

well ill do my best to explain.
when the guy is in the motion of cutting across,
ryan is sort of in a loose half guard
like in this picture:
0.jpg

so when the guy is driving forward & cutting across,
Ryan uses his top knee to push the butt of his opponent towards the direction the guy is trying to cut. almost like he is giving him a little boost with his knee.
then he usually has the space to do to deep half from there or you can come up on a single leg.

sorry, doing my best to explain

i once grabbed my instructors belt & passed it under him to my left hand while trying to "push" him away with my top knee/shin. idk if it worked or if he just let me do it but i had a good position for a single but i just scrambled out of it.

Listen to all the guys talking about how to properly apply the de la riva and fix that. But if you do end up in the position pictured above, then it's all about his grip on your collar. If I ever get in this position, I pop off the collar grip and sit up with the under hook. With that collar grip, you can't sit up and you can't get an under hook. If you get the under hook, because they are postured up so much, it leaves you in an extremely easy position to single leg.

Edit: Example of what I'm talking about, but no gi. And it's actually easier if they're trying to knee slide, because their other leg is posted out, so when you come out on top it's extremely easy to take them back down.

Last edited:
You could switch to using a lapel instead of foot grip in the dlr, that way if they knee slide you can immediately come up on a single. That's what I do, but I only use dlr to come up on singles

There are several levels of defense against this. I struggle with this constantly (my teacher's favorite pass by far) and have spent a few months working on solutions. Here's what I aim to do:

1. If they're feeding your free foot between their legs, then their far hand is dropping. If you can, grab it, and feed it between their legs to your far hand to set up an old school far-leg push sweep. I hit this all the time, works great.

2. If they successfully feed your foot between their legs, go to RDLR immediately. concentrate on pushing up and away with your RDLR hook long enough to get the other foot in their hip. It doesn't really matter if the hip foot is facing up or down, though it does change your options from the position. You really want to have their far arm at the sleeve and your inside hand grabbing their ankle, or even better threaded under their ankle (this both sets up the inversion and prevents them from grabbing the sleeve). If you can leg lasso with your outside leg, super. That's even better than hip control. You can prevent the knee slide almost indefinitely with the leg lasso, and if makes inverting easier. If you do get the hip foot in and can't get the leg lasso, either reach across to their far lapel with a thumb down grip and start trying to invert, or use your foot against their hip to create space and re-guard. Above all, don't let them get a grip with their far hand on your bottom sleeve.

3. If they manage to break down your RDLR and start the knee slide, you have a few options. You can often get to deep half by grabbing their thigh with your outside arm, grabbing under their hips with your inside arm, and extending your body to straighten their leg so you can swing under. Alternatively, you can use the underhook defense. Get an underhook with your outside arm and immediately start trying to get to your knees. Again, it's much easier if they don't have the bottom sleeve grip.

4. If they have the bottom sleeve grip and are starting to work the knee through, you're in a lot of trouble. About all you have at this point is the single leg underhook defense, where you get the underhook and as they transition past your leg you turn to your stomach with one arm around their knee sliding leg and try to transition to a single. This is very hard, especially if they have a really strong bottom sleeve grip, but it can be done and you might as well try.

This is a super powerful pass and the best thing to do is play a very active DLR to avoid having to deal with it as much as possible, but if they do start feeding your leg through you have to react immediately. You have to stay a step ahead of them as you move through these options, because if they can get that bottom sleeve grip and flatten you out you're f-ed.

Carlos Machado teaches an interesting defense against this pass.

Basically, if you are on bottom and have the opponent's right leg trapped (so he's sliding his right knee over your right thigh to pass), you cup the front of his knee with your left hand and push it back AND you hook your left foot under his right ankle and lift and push with that foot.

What you are doing his forcing his knee back out of the position. Once you force his knee back enough, you put your left foot on his right hip and begin to play from there.

this is the first mini battle in DLR, i control their heel and do not allow them to turn their foot out, i use my free foot on their stomach to off balance them and try to get them seated for the berimbolo

Well, if you are making it work for you than I guess there's not much I can say. :/

Carlos Machado teaches an interesting defense against this pass.

Basically, if you are on bottom and have the opponent's right leg trapped (so he's sliding his right knee over your right thigh to pass), you cup the front of his knee with your left hand and push it back AND you hook your left foot under his right ankle and lift and push with that foot.

What you are doing his forcing his knee back out of the position. Once you force his knee back enough, you put your left foot on his right hip and begin to play from there.

I do that quite often, but use the hook on the ankle to whip his leg into one-legged X-guard. There are a couple of videos showing this exact transition on MGinaction.

There are several levels of defense against this. I struggle with this constantly (my teacher's favorite pass by far) and have spent a few months working on solutions. Here's what I aim to do:

1. If they're feeding your free foot between their legs, then their far hand is dropping. If you can, grab it, and feed it between their legs to your far hand to set up an old school far-leg push sweep. I hit this all the time, works great.

2. If they successfully feed your foot between their legs, go to RDLR immediately. concentrate on pushing up and away with your RDLR hook long enough to get the other foot in their hip. It doesn't really matter if the hip foot is facing up or down, though it does change your options from the position. You really want to have their far arm at the sleeve and your inside hand grabbing their ankle, or even better threaded under their ankle (this both sets up the inversion and prevents them from grabbing the sleeve). If you can leg lasso with your outside leg, super. That's even better than hip control. You can prevent the knee slide almost indefinitely with the leg lasso, and if makes inverting easier. If you do get the hip foot in and can't get the leg lasso, either reach across to their far lapel with a thumb down grip and start trying to invert, or use your foot against their hip to create space and re-guard. Above all, don't let them get a grip with their far hand on your bottom sleeve.

3. If they manage to break down your RDLR and start the knee slide, you have a few options. You can often get to deep half by grabbing their thigh with your outside arm, grabbing under their hips with your inside arm, and extending your body to straighten their leg so you can swing under. Alternatively, you can use the underhook defense. Get an underhook with your outside arm and immediately start trying to get to your knees. Again, it's much easier if they don't have the bottom sleeve grip.

4. If they have the bottom sleeve grip and are starting to work the knee through, you're in a lot of trouble. About all you have at this point is the single leg underhook defense, where you get the underhook and as they transition past your leg you turn to your stomach with one arm around their knee sliding leg and try to transition to a single. This is very hard, especially if they have a really strong bottom sleeve grip, but it can be done and you might as well try.

This is a super powerful pass and the best thing to do is play a very active DLR to avoid having to deal with it as much as possible, but if they do start feeding your leg through you have to react immediately. You have to stay a step ahead of them as you move through these options, because if they can get that bottom sleeve grip and flatten you out you're f-ed.

Thanks for this. Something to think about during my next rolls. Good food for thought!

Back