Knee slide pass killing my de la riva

jrock89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As the title says, people knee slide passing me is killing and nullifying my de la riva guard play. They control the free leg and right when they push it down or through their legs, they knee slide. Does anyone have similar problems ? I tried reverse de la riva as they knee slide, but it didn't work at all. Videos and tips would be most appreciated:icon_lol:

switch to reverse delariva once they cut across and go underneath.
ryan hall has some good tips on what to do when a guy is in the action of cutting across in his deep half dvd.

As Snoop Dogg says, switch to RDLR, and use your free leg to control the distance, with your foot or shin on the hip.

Watch the Leandro Lo/Lucas Lepri match from the Pro League. It's an interesting underhook defense Lepri uses on Lo's knee slide.

There's a few sweeps and position shifts available from it, but I'm kind of astounded Lucas was able to keep Leandro from straight muscling through.

Or maybe Leandro shoulda done some S&C to get that muscle through...

Great match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHtYF6QMeKQ

switch to reverse delariva once they cut across and go underneath.
ryan hall has some good tips on what to do when a guy is in the action of cutting across in his deep half dvd.

I need to check out Ryans stuff then. I tried reverse de la riva, but the foot on the hip just gets peeled of so easy and fast it seems.

I don't work delariva (butterfly is my fave), but when I do . . . I think I need to bookmark this thread.

Edit: 500th post! Yeah, baby! :cool:

Watch the Leandro Lo/Lucas Lepri match from the Pro League. It's an interesting underhook defense Lepri uses on Lo's knee slide.

There's a few sweeps and position shifts available from it, but I'm kind of astounded Lucas was able to keep Leandro from straight muscling through.

Or maybe Leandro shoulda done some S&C to get that muscle through...

Great match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHtYF6QMeKQ

amazing match, both guys have insane guard retention

Your leg needs to be stronger, pushing them away at the hip!!! Similar to locking someone up in rubber guard but not posting the other leg on there hip so they can just smash pass.

I need to check out Ryans stuff then. I tried reverse de la riva, but the foot on the hip just gets peeled of so easy and fast it seems.

well ill do my best to explain.
when the guy is in the motion of cutting across,
ryan is sort of in a loose half guard
like in this picture:
0.jpg

so when the guy is driving forward & cutting across,
Ryan uses his top knee to push the butt of his opponent towards the direction the guy is trying to cut. almost like he is giving him a little boost with his knee.
then he usually has the space to do to deep half from there or you can come up on a single leg.

sorry, doing my best to explain

As Snoop Dogg says, switch to RDLR, and use your free leg to control the distance, with your foot or shin on the hip.

Or you could just get the DLR hook right the first time.

Your opponent shouldn't be square to you. If he is than he'll be able to grab the foot and ruin your day. Just keep a proper angle and that should stop the knee cut across before it starts. You should be at an angle to where you could hypothetically look into his ear canal.

Your opponent shouldn't be square to you. If he is than he'll be able to grab the foot and ruin your day. Just keep a proper angle and that should stop the knee cut across before it starts. You should be at an angle to where you could hypothetically look into his ear canal.

that is one way of playing it, i prefer to play dead in front initially and use the control of the ankle and being active free foot to prevent them forcing half guard... once i see the opening i kick hard at the opposite thigh to create the angle you are talking about

When they grab the free leg, switch to sit up guard instead.

This is exactly what I was talking about, you need to be strong on that hip pushing them away.

Try to make your "free leg" more active. Work on switching between a spider hook (with or without the sleeve grip right on the bicep.. not the shoulder) and when they check that push their "free" leg back ( I like to push their upper thigh out and back to stretch them out).. go back and forth with those two and start working on breaking their grips and/or posture depending on what you're planning on doing with the delariva guard in the first place. You've got to use delariva to control the distance to avoid that type of pass. If they are getting that far the hook either isn't that deep or tight. The "grip" the delariva hook has on the guys leg should be just as strong as if you are hugging it with your arms.

The Mendes brothers are both great with dela riva. I've been to two of their seminars now and it's helped my delariva game big time. They are apparently doing some online content on their website now besides what is probably on youtube. They also have a pretty slick inverted delariva game as well.

This is exactly what I was talking about, you need to be strong on that hip pushing them away.

Also a good point. I like to do a big hip up and eskrima to get my delariva hook in nice and deep. I like to keep a nice angle as well where I'm on the "outside" if that makes sense.

Let's say that beaten my de la riva hook. What transition move would you do next if you saw them setting up the knee slide pass?

that is one way of playing it, i prefer to play dead in front initially and use the control of the ankle and being active free foot to prevent them forcing half guard... once i see the opening i kick hard at the opposite thigh to create the angle you are talking about

I don't know what you mean by play dead, but it gives me an image of being relaxed AND square. You'll get eaten alive if you try that with someone who understands pressure.

Your DLR hook will be removed before it's even applied. If you are moving against anyone competent you need to be getting the angle immediately. Not for the DLR but for anything.

Basically switching to RDLR is changing to a different angle anyway, but it's a response to not being on the ball. It's not something you should rely on unless it's what you actually want in the first place.

Let's say that beaten my de la riva hook. What transition move would you do next if you saw them setting up the knee slide pass?

You're in serious trouble.

I would go to shin to shin. My DLR hook foot circles under my opponents shin. That way if they knee slide over I can sweep them. But that only works if I'm controlling the sleeve and if my opponent is knee sliding it's because I don't have the sleeve anymore. When someone knee slides you, you're not losing because you lost the DLR hook.

You're losing because you lost the sleeve control battle.

I don't know what you mean by play dead, but it gives me an image of being relaxed AND square. You'll get eaten alive if you try that with someone who understands pressure.

Your DLR hook will be removed before it's even applied. If you are moving against anyone competent you need to be getting the angle immediately. Not for the DLR but for anything.

Basically switching to RDLR is changing to a different angle anyway, but it's a response to not being on the ball. It's not something you should rely on unless it's what you actually want in the first place.

by dead in front i just mean square (must be an aussie term sry), never inactive... check rafa's & ary's vids on the berimbolo, they play the same shallow hook starting in front... the angle is important but i work from that control first and my free foot helps to controls space... i am only a purple and my gauird still generally gets shredded by blacks, but i am very comfortable using it against purples and most browns

Back