Knee Protectors, Pads, Guards, etc

Aku

White Belt
Reaction score
Recently when we where drilling takedowns (I HATE drilling takedowns) and while it was my turn to press, and the other guys turn to defend, I clenched and went for an outside leg sweep and my knee popped as we went down. At first I wasn't sure if it was me or the other guy that caused the loud popping sound as their was no pain. After poking it for a bit, it was me.

Sat off mat, felt fine, Walked back home, jumped thru the shower and went to bed, in the morning it was the size of a mellon and I almost passed out from the pain when I tried to walk on it.

Since then(4 days later) lots of ice and Apsin/Ibuproffin. It's feels about 75% now, walk fine, still a little swollen/tender, gonna take this week off. If After a week its still bugging me I'll go see a doc. But I figure its about time to invest in some knee protection.

I've seen big padded knee pads, and others that have a circle in the front, that I assume support your knee cap. For JiuJitsu, what is the best? what do you currently use? Thanks in advance.

Hey man, I'd go see a doctor, just in case. You only have one set of knees, and once you wear 'em down they are never the same. Ask him/her what would be best.

^ what he said. it took me 1 week to have my knee heal after falling off of my skateboard and i regret not seeing a doctor
-Jon

I guess you could wrap your knees but that won't work if you're training for an extended period of time since your feet need blood to reach them.

So maybe a cheap elastic knee brace from Wal-Mart (like Ace) might be a good idea, but really, we're not the ones to ask these questions. Go see your doctor- money is saved in the long term.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Knee is much stronger, Except when I triangle, then it still tickles...

I'm just surprised not many people appear to wear them and no recommendations.

Recetly I talked to a friend who has been doing BJJ for a while and before that highschool and college wrestling, he took 1st at the PANAM last year in his weight and belt. He said he's injured his knees in just about everyway you can, and he's still going strong. So its good to know you can recover from most injuries, or atleast keep optemistic as the doctor goes for the hacksaw...

Aku said:
Thank you all for the feedback.

Knee is much stronger, Except when I triangle, then it still tickles...

I'm just surprised not many people appear to wear them and no recommendations.

Recetly I talked to a friend who has been doing BJJ for a while and before that highschool and college wrestling, he took 1st at the PANAM last year in his weight and belt. He said he's injured his knees in just about everyway you can, and he's still going strong. So its good to know you can recover from most injuries, or atleast keep optemistic as the doctor goes for the hacksaw...
I slightly injured my knee the other week and decided to order some Asics gel lycra kneepads. I doubt they provide too much in the way of support but I figure they should take some of the stress off my knees and help keep them warm. If my knee doesnt get better soon I guess I will get it checked out by the doc and may look into a more supportive knee brace.

For the future, always ice after injuries, I'm suprised when you got pulled off training and sat down that they didnt immediately ice your knee, that's kinda slack..

You should definitely go see a doctor

I like the support that I get from Neoprene supports, but I hate the fact that it gets so hot. The elastic type feel great as far as comfort goes, but doesn't give nearly as much support.

I have used both in the past and would have to go with the neoprene. I might have to look at something with a bit better ventilation, but the difference in support is noticeable.

you wanna practice that particular takedown more, man.

I prefer not to wear knee or shin pads because you'll get caught in leglocks a lot more often when sparring. However, I had to wear them for a recent amateur fight and although they're a pain in the ass and they totally negate any knee strikes, the bigger and bulkier ones do offer the best protection. Maybe wear a tight compression support underneath them if you're not feeling 100% sure about your knee.

Thank you all again for your insight.

Today I went to the doctor and they did some exams and x-rays. They didn't have an MRI machine but said we may want to consider one of those if the symptoms persist after another week or two. Currently they think I have a patellar sublimation. ie, my kneecap popped out of where it

You can still work your hands, so don't lose all hope. Keep up your boxing practice and by the time you get back to grappling, your stand-up should have improved. A minor injury which, despite the pain, is ultimately what you have, is no setback. Just work on something else.

Like I said, work your hands diligently, as Osborn would say.

so this was a few years back and i wonder if anyone can recommend a good brand of knee pad for jits. the one problem i see a lot is that they slip down on people so i'd love to avoid that.

Wear a couple braces at once. I wear a cloth/elastic sleeve with a neoprene kneecap stabilizer. Aside from that if you tape firmly under the knee on top of the lower patellar tendon you can help stabilize the kneecap as well.

What it does is effectively takes up slack in the tendon so that your kneecap stays in the groove a little easier. But really none of this is as effective as doing correct rehabilitation exercises.

I would suggest doing leg extensions with a limited range of motion (fully straight - slightly bent) to aid in increasing the strength/endurance of the inside quad, called the vastus medialis. Most people with these kind of injuries will have a weak VMO (vastus medialis) and an overdeveloped outside quad (vastus lateralis). This exercise, along with a couple other will help you out.

Make sure you also stretch out your IT band and hamstrings.

Good luck pal, I'm dealing with the same thing!

I've been wearing hinged braces by Tru-Fit for years. Get them at the sporting goods store. They are not as bulky on the sides as ones made by McDAvid.

Back