Knee pain when in guard

Pirate

White Belt
Reaction score
Have anyone's knees experience pain when they sit down the way they do in the guard? It does not matter if I'm doing BJJ or not, whenever I try to sit in that style my knees will hurt, therefore I cannot sit my butt 100% tight to my feet.

And when I am in someone's guard, I will have to carry the weight of my opponent's legs then my knees becomes more painful.

Does anyone have that problem? How do you deal with it?

Thanks in advance.

you just need to do some kneeling at home while watching TV and stuff like that.

just learn to pass the guard standing but I guess you will not be the perfect partner to drill with triangle/ambar from the guard.

I have this problem. Really bad. I have never been able to sit on my heels without warming up first. I took a trip to Japan one time and it was hell trying to sit like that on the floor at the sushi restaurant. I stretch my quads as much as I can before class, then it's still pretty uncomfortable if I have to sit in seiza during drills for closed guard or something, but after one round of rolling my knees loosen up enough that I can do it without discomfort.

some schools still swear by feet flat in guard...there are a lot more guys sitting in guard with their toes down, heels up so you're more mobile and posture is much higher, which kills a lot of techinques, esp rubber guard...anyway, might help your knee problem

I also have to stretch before i can sit like that , i sat like that for a couple of months at home, meditating like 15 mins every day, and now i can do it more easily.
I do feel the more stretched the muscles in the upper part of my foot are , the less pressure there is on my knees, in this position.

so the comments so far suggests stretching or sitting more in that position, thanks guys.

Anymore suggestions?

I wouldnt assume you have the same issue as some others , and force yourself in that position, you might very well have something totally different and only make it worse by sitting in this position.

It's always nice to ask advice on a forum for these kinds of situations, but nobody can exactly feel or see what the problem is here, so i suggest to see someone about it aswell.

Back