knee on face armbar defence

notshayndavis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Surprised I haven't ran into this yet, but I guess I don't really armbar from guard all that much. Anyway, guy knee on faced me to defend an armbar from guard. Worked really well. I was trying to go over in my head how to prevent this from happening in the first place. Pressure on their face from your leg won't seem to do the trick as I see it in my head, if anything just give them less room to have to travel. I had plenty when this happened anyway.

So, tips/tricks/advice? Thanks a lot.

Flower/pendulum sweep? With his knee all the way up on your face, it'd be hard to sit up and follow him as you roll. Wouldn't you be worried about just getting leglocked? Still, a scramble is better then having to turtle like I did.

Sweep him.

I've been there. I know this the right answer. I even know how to do it and have done it during competition...but I've also failed and had my guard passed.

Easier said than done?

I mean, I know my technique sucks, but still.

Flower/pendulum sweep? With his knee all the way up on your face, it'd be hard to sit up and follow him as you roll. Wouldn't you be worried about just getting leglocked? Still, a scramble is better then having to turtle like I did.

No, as he's coming around, you hook the leg and sweep. If that doesn't work, come out the back door.

I've been there. I know this the right answer. I even know how to do it and have done it during competition...but I've also failed and had my guard passed.

Easier said than done?

I mean, I know my technique sucks, but still.

Everything is easier said than done. It depends on a whole bunch of variables, the most important being the positioning of each of you when applying the armbar, which determines the response.

were your legs crossed? I rarely have this problem if I keep legs uncrossed, pinch knees and pull heels to my butt. Also, don't let your hips sink, but thrust up with your hips.

There is one other thing, I always try to hit the armbar when the guy has his arms fairly extended already. I used to just creep into armbars all the time even if he was low with arms bent, but then he was already set to clutch his arm, stack, and defend. I had to resort to crossing my legs to prevent him from splitting my guard, possibly trying to go belly down or roll him over....I just don't deal with that anymore. It feels riskier not to creep into a methodical armbar where his posture is real low and you slip your head over his head, but if you do the "two step armbar" where you basically in one motion turn your hips perpendicular, thrust up, while putting your leg deep in his armpit, and then (step two) put your leg over his head and pull-pinch-extend...it feels riskier and and less safe, but I find it much more high percentage.

I must slap on my armbars from guard real quick, because this has never happened to me before. However, I usually force them onto their back with my hips before they can do anything.

Surprised I haven't ran into this yet, but I guess I don't really armbar from guard all that much. Anyway, guy knee on faced me to defend an armbar from guard. Worked really well. I was trying to go over in my head how to prevent this from happening in the first place. Pressure on their face from your leg won't seem to do the trick as I see it in my head, if anything just give them less room to have to travel. I had plenty when this happened anyway.

So, tips/tricks/advice? Thanks a lot.

Just hook under his knee and drive him till you get the sweep

Is this an asshole move in training? I always know the defense is there but usually dont' go for it because I don't wanna fuck up the dude's face.

to add to what I was saying above....(posts moving quick)

^^^
The guy who really "taught" (punished me into learning) to always do this is a 6'9" freak of nature who trains with us. If you allow your self to relax your spine and get "balled up" underneath him (as in the traditional armbar when the guy is really low in your guard and you creep your legs over his head, usually finishing with crossed legs) it's just murder.

If you attempt it when his posture is that low, his arms are already bent and he is ready to clutch his arms and defend, and on a guy that big and strong, I've found that if I go belly down, I can use every trick I know but if he already has a good grasp, I'm not separating his arms (mounted, different story). As for trying the "swim move" and rolling him over, his legs are too damn long and you can't reach his ankle, and if you do get a grip, he's about 50 pounds heavier than me and strong as an ox, so you'll have to be flawless to get him to roll. But if you can hit the armbar by baiting him into extending his arms as he postures to get out of your guard, or get hims arms just slightly bent where he "thinks" he can quickly hunker down and stack you if you try it, but he's past the point of no return already....that's the ticket for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back