Knee on Belly

RetardControl

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm looking for some ideas and thoughts from some of the more experienced on a couple of things from the knee on belly side control position.

1. Do you prefer to post on your leg closest to your opponents leg or on your leg closest to your opponents head? Is there any reason for this?

2. What point do you aim for on your opponents stomach to place your knee?

3. What are your submissions from this position?

4. What are your favourite ways to escape this position you're on bottom?

1. I prefer to post out my leg closest to their head to help me keep my base when opponents bridge their hips.

2. I try and get it bang in the centre of their stomach and keep shin pressure on the side closest to me.

3. I like to put their arm that is further away from me to the floor. Grip up a kimura, slide my knee across thier body and to the floor on the other side, post on my head and then roll applying the kimura from the bottom.

4. I don't know any good knee on belly escapes, not that I've been taught anyway and that is one of the main reasons I made this thread.

1. it's not knee on belly (points wise), unless you post the foot near the head, it would be ridiculously easy to return to guard if you posted the other leg.

2. it varies, i prefer the solar plexus (bottom of the sternum) with the point of my knee

3. Chokes or far side armbar normally

4. My escapes suck from here, normally reach under the ankle and grab the belt and other hand grabbing the gi (watching for the armbar) and bridge into them and then either take them forward or backwards.

I didn't know that. I'm still a little in experienced though, so thanks for the info on the posted foot.

I like to put the knee on face, if the guy is a prick, it is not illegal but it doesn't score points.

The knee on belly is also very effective to change from one side to the other (imagine you passed the guard, but it is not the side you favor the most to do a technique you are good at - arm triangle in my case) I use the knee on belly to change sides..

there are several escapes from there, but I am not very good at describing, so I guess you will have to take my word for it :D

Escapes = MOVE YOUR HIPS!!!!!

Neat little move is to go KOB backwards (i.e. wrong knee on belly) then as your opponents goes to escape, swivel around backwards . . . and you end up in a triangle as your opponent sits up to "escape" . . . . it's nifty.

1. Do you prefer to post on your leg closest to your opponents leg or on your leg closest to your opponents head? Is there any reason for this?
The bottom leg should be across the belly so that the knee is almost touching on the otherside. The foot is clamped down on the side of his body, and not touching the floor. The upper leg should be posted out a 45 degree angel like you standing up a surf board. This will keep your opponent from underhooking your leg.

2. What point do you aim for on your opponents stomach to place your knee?
You want your shin evenly distributed across the whole belly so if your opponent tries to move their hips out you are balanced on top of them.

3. What are your submissions from this position?
*Cross collar choke
*Modified Cross Collar choke (looping the hand around)
*Far side armlock (if he pushes you can spin around)
*Mount and then submit from there
*Knee in the sternum (very devastating)

4. What are your favourite ways to escape this position you're on bottom?

One hand on belt, the other hand on posted leg, shrimp hips out, get to knees, right hand goes to heel, other hand is still on belt, pull with the leg, push with the belt, come to the knee on the stomach on them

Good post txfighter. good detail.
Another escape is to grab the ankle and push on the knee as you shrimp, when his knee comes off pull on the ankle and put your foot in his hip to move him out of position.

If you keep your arms tight, and are aware of when your opponent tries to set it up, you shouldn't be caught in the armbar or kimura when you do the escapes some have listed above.

Best knee on belly escape is getting your head and far arm between your opponent's legs, grabbing the heel of the knee-on-belly leg while place your elbow behind his hamstring, and shrugging him high while you come out the back door. If you know how to finish a double leg when you get caught between your opponent's legs, you can finish this escape an amazingly high percentage of the time. And unlike many other knee on belly escapes, this one sets up a legitimate chance to scramble, sweep, or take the back.

Best knee on belly escape is getting your head and far arm between your opponent's legs, grabbing the heel of the knee-on-belly leg while place your elbow behind his hamstring, and shrugging him high while you come out the back door. If you know how to finish a double leg when you get caught between your opponent's legs, you can finish this escape an amazingly high percentage of the time. And unlike many other knee on belly escapes, this one sets up a legitimate chance to scramble, sweep, or take the back.

Doesn't Drysdale use that as a kneebar setup?

YouTube - Robert Drysdale Nth Dimension Jiu-Jitsu Foot Locks Knee Bars

^ interesting. Never tried that. I have kept the ankle for a strange toehold before, but never even thought about bring my far leg all the way through as well for the kneebar. I don't know, it's really cool, but I feel like if you miss it you've blown the escape. A good wrinkle nonetheless, I'm definitely going to try it out.

Back