Knee injury, how to still train some BJJ?

changster

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently injured my knee and am getting a MRI tomorrow. I've had some small knee injuries before so I kind of know how they work. However, this time around I can tell it is definitely more serious. Doctors suspect at least a not-so-minor meniscus tear but we will wait for the MRI results to do a further assessment. My plan is to do what's best for the long term, i.e trying not to cut out any meniscus but do a repair if possible.

I was just getting a really good groove going in training. I don't want to stop. Does anyone have any experience with knee injuries and what types of possible training I can do while still being injured? Basically what kinds of things I can do while I'm recovering. Of course I'm not going to be rolling. I'm hoping there are still knee-friendly things I can do like very specific types of knee-friendly drills, etc. I just can't think of any.

My plan on beginning my rehab as soon as possible. I'm guessing this would consist of work on a stationary bike to start. I really really wish some sort of BJJ can be involved during my recovery/rehab period.

Thanks!

Hi guys, I recently injured my knee and am getting a MRI tomorrow. I've had some small knee injuries before so I kind of know how they work. However, this time around I can tell it is definitely more serious. Doctors suspect at least a not-so-minor meniscus tear but we will wait for the MRI results to do a further assessment. My plan is to do what's best for the long term, i.e trying not to cut out any meniscus but do a repair if possible.

I was just getting a really good groove going in training. I don't want to stop. Does anyone have any experience with knee injuries and what types of possible training I can do while still being injured? Basically what kinds of things I can do while I'm recovering. Of course I'm not going to be rolling. I'm hoping there are still knee-friendly things I can do like very specific types of knee-friendly drills, etc. I just can't think of any.

My plan on beginning my rehab as soon as possible. I'm guessing this would consist of work on a stationary bike to start. I really really wish some sort of BJJ can be involved during my recovery/rehab period.

Thanks!
Been there man. Sorry.
A repair is going to leave you off your feet for 6 weeks with another 6 weeks just getting your range of motion to 80 percent of what it was. How much is damaged and is it a fray or bucket handle tear

I would suggest doing a lot of pull ups, dips etc so your grip strengh and upper body is ready when you come back.

Realistically it will be 6 months before you are back to jiu jitsu if you do a repair. You will need to work your quads and hamstrings equally so your patella move up and down and not to the side where it will just tear your meniscus again. you should also invest in some good knee braces that stabilize and guide your patella. I think the brand is Baufield .
I went through all that. Hurt my knee in rehab started over and after doing jiu jitsu again for about a year I tore my meniscus again. So I had them take it out. Well 70 percent. it felt weird for about 6 weeks and then it fells like nothing. I don't run much and jumping is something I will only do when it results in pulling guard. If I could do it all over again I would have had them pull it out the first time.

Hit me up if you have questions.

Good luck

I had a lateral meniscus repair for a large bucket handle tear. I was on crutches for eight weeks and limited to cycling/walking/PT for six months. The repair was aggressive and didn't fully work, so I had to have follow-up surgery a year later (they removed most of the torn section). After that, it was 2 weeks crutches and back to activity after 8 weeks. It was 12-18 months before my knee felt "normal" again and even now, five years later, I have to be careful about sitting on my heels and any kind of leg submission. Within my limitations, however, I can train hard and regularly.

You'll be back if you want to. Just listen to your doctors and therapists. The worst thing you can do is return before you're properly healed/rehabbed.

I had a lateral meniscus repair for a large bucket handle tear. I was on crutches for eight weeks and limited to cycling/walking/PT for six months. The repair was aggressive and didn't fully work, so I had to have follow-up surgery a year later (they removed most of the torn section). After that, it was 2 weeks crutches and back to activity after 8 weeks. It was 12-18 months before my knee felt "normal" again and even now, five years later, I have to be careful about sitting on my heels and any kind of leg submission. Within my limitations, however, I can train hard and regularly.

You'll be back if you want to. Just listen to your doctors and therapists. The worst thing you can do is return before you're properly healed/rehabbed.

Can you afford regenokine?

Can you afford regenokine?

Yes, but it wouldn't help me. I don't have pain or arthritis, I have missing cartilage and mechanical defects in my knee. I'm waiting for doctors to figure out stem cell cartilage regeneration.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. Looks like I just need to stay patient because I do not want to get back to training then injure it again. I'll stick to upper body exercises for awhile. Plus I'm pushing 40 and my goals isn't to be a world champ, just a not-looked-down-upon black belt.

I'm looking into the PRP/stem cell thing too but I doubt that will help significantly.

I've had my MRI and has sought 3 doctor opinions. It looks like a radial or horizontal tear of the medial meniscus at the anterior horn and possibly medial horn, along with partial tear of the ACL. It's not a bucket handle tear.

Back