Knee Braces?

UltimaMMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Anyone training with a gimp knee? If so, what kinda knee brace do you recommend? I'm looking for the best brand with patella (knee cap) support.

I don't know whats wrong with my knee, it gives out all the time but I wear a normal knee brace from the Pharmacy and it works fine for me.

What do you mean by "gives out"? Whenever I extend my left leg, walk up stairs, or get out my car, at the extension, I feel a little pain in my leg. It feels like when you crack your knee like your knuckles but painful. I bought a Tru-Fit knee brace, hoping it helps. Maybe I got knee-barred one too many times?

It's kind of wierd but I'll be walking or something and all of a sudden I'll feel a pop by the knee cap in my left knee and I cant walk on it because it just doesnt feel right so I limp a little until it pops back a few seconds later. But theres no pain when it happens.

Jammyface said:
It's kind of wierd but I'll be walking or something and all of a sudden I'll feel a pop by the knee cap in my left knee and I cant walk on it because it just doesnt feel right so I limp a little until it pops back a few seconds later. But theres no pain when it happens.

Ditto

Yea, thats it, but my pop got worse, I think? I'll be running and then I'll feel like my knee needs to pop so I'll stretch (extend) it out. Before it wouldn't hurt, now it kinda does. Once I get some money saved up, I'll have a doc look at it.

UltimaMMA said:
Yea, thats it, but my pop got worse, I think? I'll be running and then I'll feel like my knee needs to pop so I'll stretch (extend) it out. Before it wouldn't hurt, now it kinda does. Once I get some money saved up, I'll have a doc look at it.

That is what I have. Read my thread I posted before. That brace helps, but is pretty annoying.

I had a similar condition, it took nearly 4 months of minimal training for it to heal up. Replace your run with an elliptical for a while. Knee injuries are not fun.

u guys probably have torn meniscus', apparently its getting pretty common, as i had one and had to have it surgically repaired...pete sell just tore his awhile back, it sux...i would only feel it whne i was rolling, and someone put pressure on my knee from my butterfly guard.. or pushed it or crunched it into my body..my knee would "lock" so to speak..and then id have to kick it out...sucked hairy monkey balls..but the meniscus thing is pretty common, and insurance covered the surgery...other then surgery, u can take an anti inflammatory which is supposed to help but didnt on me, cuz i guess my was torn beyond repair...hope this helps

Dynasty1 said:
u guys probably have torn meniscus', apparently its getting pretty common, as i had one and had to have it surgically repaired...pete sell just tore his awhile back, it sux...i would only feel it whne i was rolling, and someone put pressure on my knee from my butterfly guard.. or pushed it or crunched it into my body..my knee would "lock" so to speak..and then id have to kick it out...sucked hairy monkey balls..but the meniscus thing is pretty common, and insurance covered the surgery...other then surgery, u can take an anti inflammatory which is supposed to help but didnt on me, cuz i guess my was torn beyond repair...hope this helps

From my understanding, once you tear it, it basically "opens the flood gates" so to speak, meaning it only gets worse on its own. I first hurt mine wrestling with my friends in middle school. Mine happens about 2x a night. I just have to stop, straighten my leg until it pops in, and then get back to work. Most of the time, it is pretty routine. Every now and then I tweak it so bad that I can't train for a day or two.

I have a subluxating patella (kneecap that easily dislocates) and the best advice I can give you is to spend the money getting a brace that will really support whatever knee problem you may have. I don't know about for walking around, but at least for training a Walgreen's or ACE braces just compresses the whole knee area, but don't provide any patellar support.

I went to this site (http://www.kneeshop.com/donjoy.htm) and bought a brace from the Patellafemoral section since that was my particular problem. Your needs may be different, but it looks like they've got something for pretty much everyone. If you've got good health insurance, get it checked out first by a Orthopaedic who specializes in sports injuries who will probably take x-rays and physically move your leg around to determine the problem. Better to find out now and prevent any future problems.

Good luck and remember, I'm not a doctor, so I cannot be sued for this advice! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back