Klitschko vs Usyk

Don't take much from it.

I've gotten the better of people in sparring who could shut me out in their sleep...or ko me in a real bout

It's intriguing and probably a good sign, i guess?

Don't take much from it.

I've gotten the better of people in sparring who could shut me out in their sleep...or ko me in a real bout

It's intriguing and probably a good sign, i guess?
I was thinking the same, Klitschko probably didn't plan on using full power

I was thinking the same, Klitschko probably didn't plan on using full power
I doubt either was giving 100%

It's interesting that some people say he kicked Usyk out of his camp though...that kinda makes me wonder if it went down differently than sparring normally goes....

Vitali was Usyks manager at that time sponsoring him ,so yea ….Wlads not going to damage their commodity .

Meh, the story is from sparring for the Fury fight, in which Wlad seemed like a shot fighter.

A younger Wlad, I wonder how it goes if he were to land the same shots Bellew did. Withered spoon was even working a jab against the guy reasonably well and Wlad had a great jab.

Well for starters, I think Klitschko was shot at that point. I think the real signs that Klitschko was on the decline were during the Bryant Jennings fight

Now, more importantly. Sparring is just meant to be practice. And god knows anyone can have an off day or anything can happen. Sparring def won’t have the same results every time. There’s a kid out there I sparred over 30 times. About 4 or 5 times I’ve gotten the best of him. Probably 25+ times though he’s gotten the best of me. A few of those times I couldn’t even touch him. Once he dropped me with body shots. I doubt the sparring that Johnny Nelson witnessed is any sort of measurement to what would happen if they were to actually fight. If either Klitschko were to actually fight Usyk prime for prime, it probably wouldn’t look much different than Vitali vs. Tomasz Adamek. And I absolutely love Usyk. Usyk is the man. But for 9-10 years Klitschko dominated all challengers without barely losing a round. I think it’s gonna be a very long time before anyone else at heavyweight is gonna be able to say that. Probably not in my lifetime. I could see Usyk getting the best of 2015 Klitschko in a sparring session. Overall it doesn’t tell us much though

With all that said I’m super excited for Usyk’s next fight. I hope it’s against a Chisora or a Parker or a Pulev. Someone in that neighborhood would be a lot of fun

Sounds like Usyk decided to take a sparring session too seriously. Klitschko just wanted a good sparring partner to help him prepare for a fight. Of course he's going to kick him out of the ring.

But for 9-10 years Klitschko dominated all challengers without barely losing a round. I think it’s gonna be a very long time before anyone else at heavyweight is gonna be able to say that. Probably not in my lifetime

You'll also never see the division as crappy as it was then either

I think prime Vitali would take Wlads head off and walk around holding it up like a trophy while picking his teeth with the spine

Wlad might be the most overrated heavyweight to ever live

I think prime Vitali would take Wlads head off and walk around holding it up like a trophy while picking his teeth with the spine

I don’t think it was that bad man. Chagaev, Haye, Povetkin. These were mega fights. Sadly they just didn’t live up to the expectations. I think Klitschko beat a lot of tough guys. Just my opinion but I think a lot of the hate for the era comes from how boring a lot of Klitschko’s fights were. Look at the numbers for the Chagaev, Haye, and Povetkin fights. They were a success. Sadly though 2/3 of them were stinkers. I would even consider the Eddie Chambers and Pulev wins pretty nice. They both earned their title shot! Sultan Ibragimov another pretty decent win. I think Wladimir beat a lot of tough guys. Just loses credit for the underwhelming performances. I respect him a lot because he took on all comers and never ducked anyone. And as boring as he was, he still usually put most people away.

Early in his career he went to war and threw some freaking bombs. Always tried putting on a show for fans. Sadly after 3 stoppage losses though he changed his style to screw the fans I just need to win. Kinda cost him his respect in a way

I’ll definitely say I agree with you about Vitali being the overall better fighter of the 2

Wlad just made the opposition look that bad. No way to prove it, but if Ali had not been beaten a couple of times people would say he was just a more than average fighter with charisma in a division filled with bums.

Tyson only beat absolute bums, once he faced better opposition he lost, yet his style made him loved by many

I just feel like Wlad's 'boring' style and domination makes people think he never had great opposition.

Meh, the story is from sparring for the Fury fight, in which Wlad seemed like a shot fighter.

A younger Wlad, I wonder how it goes if he were to land the same shots Bellew did. Withered spoon was even working a jab against the guy reasonably well and Wlad had a great jab.
not sure if serious. either one of the brothers would have straight decapitated usyk in their prime.

Wlad just made the opposition look that bad. No way to prove it, but if Ali had not been beaten a couple of times people would say he was just a more than average fighter with charisma in a division filled with bums.

Tyson only beat absolute bums, once he faced better opposition he lost, yet his style made him loved by many

I just feel like Wlad's 'boring' style and domination makes people think he never had great opposition.
Ali could face you and i 55 times and look sensational. He was basically a giant version of Sugar Ray Leonard. And the gatekeeper heavyweights back then were tough as fuck...and they had a shitload of experience. If you could legitimately earn a title shot then you were a badass fighter. Of course there are the Santanders of that time who kinda got gifted shots to serve as holdovers to keep the champs warm....but for the most part those were real fights

I look at skills and individual attributes more than gauge competition. I know that's highly subjective and we'll oftentimes see those things differently but a lot of it is just kinda common sense, you've seen enough where you know a heavyweight with quick hands etc...I'm pretty sure 95% of people here have.

And even if you take Wlad out of that era....there isn't much. I think the 90s were absolutely STACKED in heavyweight division but it dropped off pretty fast

Nowadays i think it's solid. Probably closer to average than outstanding relative to history but for people my age this is awesome

not sure if serious. either one of the brothers would have straight decapitated usyk in their prime.
Vitali is too much of a beast and has real skills

I don't think he'd be favored but i do think his movement and jab could give Wlad a bit of trouble....but the strength disparity would come into play later in the fight.

I think Wlad wins more than likely....but it wouldn't be a blowout like vs Vitali

Vitali probably beats Usyk, Wladimir I dunno, there are several stages to his career, his best was when he worked with Manny but by the time he fought Fury he was already done. It really depends which Wladimir we’re talking about here and we have no clue how strong Usyk is in HW yet.

If I had to answer I would say Usyk in his prime would be able to beat Wladimir before Manny and also post Manny. (Fury, etc.) but Wladimir in his absolute peak, when he actually threw a left hook here and there and tried to do a bit more than just put his weight on you. He probably wins a boring decision over Usyk just by being bigger, I don’t see him stopping Usyk

Let’s be serious for a second. Usyk is far from being proven enough at HW to be favored against either prime Wlad or prime Vitali.

Vitali's only advantages over Wlad were his chin (a huge advantage no doubt) and heart

Wlad is so much more skilled, athletic, and powerful

I think the real matchup is Vitali vs. Jess Willard. Giant match, screw Valuev.

I think another thing that heavily colors people's perception of that era of HW boxing is that it was a turning point where heavyweights at the top started getting to the size of basketball players and using their reach to beat guys more in the traditional HW mold in less exciting and dynamic manner.

Whether true or not, I felt like a Holyfield or Tyson sized fighter would simply be straight punched into Bolivian by a Klitschko type whereas when Lewis was king it felt like he was just the best skilled guy in a division full of people in the six ft to six and a half foot range.

Back