King Mo to try out Boxing

this is very true alot of top boxers pad their records with theses fighters

name them...
also, explain the lack of merit of the opponent.
You sound pretty confident with your claim, Sambo...
I'd like to see a detail defense of it.

Also,
Just remember - Chester Hughes was viewed as an easy opponent.

I'm all for mma fighters making the jump.
But when fans say ignorant things like "alot of top boxers pad their records" it makes sense that a boxing fan would get annoyed.

Funny thing is - the talent pool in mma is so shallow (relative to boxing) that the fighters have no choice but to pad their record.

that's not hard to do in boxing, there's plenty of horrrible "pro" fighters out there to match him against that are looking for any payday they can get

Yeah....
match him up with Travis Fulton or Tra Telligman.
ZING!

LeturHandsgo.... I hope I don't need to explain the reference.

that's not hard to do in boxing, there's plenty of horrrible "pro" fighters out there to match him against that are looking for any payday they can get

name them...
also, explain the lack of merit of the opponent.
You sound pretty confident with your claim, Sambo...
I'd like to see a detail defense of it.

Also,
Just remember - Chester Hughes was viewed as an easy opponent.

I'm all for mma fighters making the jump.
But when fans say ignorant things like "alot of top boxers pad their records" it makes sense that a boxing fan would get annoyed.

Funny thing is - the talent pool in mma is so shallow (relative to boxing) that the fighters have no choice but to pad their record.

first of all im a fan of all combat sports not jus mma, been a long time fan of boxing. padding records happen in alot of combat sports i was just saying early in a prospects career they get fed fighters to make their records look better.

Could he start out as a Am in the golden gloves programs or does he have to turn pro right away.

funny people say he would have stamina issues when wrestling is way more cardio intensive than boxing

first of all im a fan of all combat sports not jus mma, been a long time fan of boxing. padding records happen in alot of combat sports i was just saying early in a prospects career they get fed fighters to make their records look better.

I don't think it's "padding", it's about gaining experience.

Could he start out as a Am in the golden gloves programs or does he have to turn pro right away.

He's in his 30's already. He's helping Toney prepare for Couture, seems strange they haven't sparred, even a little. Obviously James needs to learn TDD fast but still?
Lets hope that vast ego of Mo's doesn't put him in a position he regrets, boxing with guys is easy when they're terrified of your wrestling prowess, under the Marquess of Queensbury, things are a little different.

King Mo will have a short lived boxing career i think.
He lacks technique and defense aside from the fact its probably for publicity.

He's in his 30's alrady. He's helping Toney prepare for Couture, seems strange they haven't sparred, even a little. Obviously James needs to learn TDD fast but still?
Lets hope that vast ego of Mo's doesn't put him in a position he regrets, boxing with guys is easy when they're terrified of your wrestling prowess, under the Marquess of Queensbury, things are a little different.

I didn't realize he was already that old.

thats why I was thinking about him starting in the Am, cause if he wanted to take it serious then he show start off slow and get his feet wet. I would hate to see him jump in with someone alot better then him, make him feel its too hard and he gives it up.

Look at Noons. He has been semi-successful at both and would like to see MO too.

funny people say he would have stamina issues when wrestling is way more cardio intensive than boxing

its a different comfort zone. different kind of conditioning. ive seen conditioned grapplers gas out after 3 minutes of boxing sparring... seen boxers spar 10 rounds straight but gas out after 2 minutes of rolling bjj.

anyways. i would really like to see mo do pro boxing. i wanna see how good he looks in the ring.

no he wouldnt qualify to fight in golden gloves or u.s.a. boxing sanctioned amateur bouts if you have had fights pro in kickboxing or mma you cant compete in sanctioned amateur boxing

a friend of mine went to compete in a u.s.a. boxing amateur event they declined him since he had two pro kickboxing and 1 pro mma match

a pro fighter like king mo or bj penn or frankie edgar would do great in amateur boxing since it is only 3- 2:00 minute rounds

one round in pro mma is 5 minutes

Last edited:
I don't think it's "padding", it's about gaining experience.

thats very true, but when fighters get matched up against over the hill former champions its to make that certain fighter look better happens all the time.

one round in pro mma is 5 minutes

What's the distinction in mma between all things "pro" and "everything else"?

There really isn't that standard of pro as opposed to amatuer.

a pro fighter like king mo or bj penn or frankie edgar would do great in amateur boxing

What's 'great'?

I'm not trying to be intentionally difficult with this.
But there's this notion afoot that it's boxers and boxing fans that are undercutting the legitimacy of mma as a sport. But then an mma fan will say things like "most top boxers pad their records", "so and so (mma fighter) would do great in boxing simply because of the amount of time in a round".

heres the difference between pro and amateur rules you seem confused

under amateur u.s.a boxing the rounds are 2 minutes and there is only three rounds except for amateur title fights those are four in amateur boxing fighters wear headgear. also no purse you pay a small fee to compete

pro boxing is 3 minute rounds usually with new pros fighting 4 rounds for three minutes a piece. in pro boxing no headgear.there are purses for fighters

in amateur mma the rounds are three minutes and not 5 minutes like pro mma

i hope this clarifies you the difference of amateur and pro for you

for amateur rules go to usaboxing.org and kickinternational.com for mma and kickboxing these are two of the sanctioning bodys for amateur combat sports

Last edited:

There really isn't that standard of pro as opposed to amatuer.

What's 'great'?

I'm not trying to be intentionally difficult with this.
But there's this notion afoot that it's boxers and boxing fans that are undercutting the legitimacy of mma as a sport. But then an mma fan will say things like "most top boxers pad their records", "so and so (mma fighter) would do great in boxing simply because of the amount of time in a round".

mister barman i guess you never seen amateur boxing on your local level

bj penn or frankie edgar if they would be allowed to compete(they dont qualify theyve earned purses) would be able to win a local golden gloves no problem

for amateur rules go to usaboxing.org and kickinternational.com for mma and kickboxing these are two of the sanctioning bodys for amateur combat sports

Em...

Kick International is a voluntary sanctioning org and as such its rules only apply if the promoters and fighters agree to them. It's up to individual states to set the rules for amateur MMA... and the rules differ highly between states. Georgia for example has a standing count following a standing knockdown... and NJ just repealed their version of that rule.

There's no unified body to set out what the rules of amateur MMA are and while there are common themes across a lot (No GnP to the head, no heel hooks, shorter rounds etc) anyone talking as if there are one set of rules and regulations is being deliberately obtuse.

Em...

Kick International is a voluntary sanctioning org and as such its rules only apply if the promoters and fighters agree to them. It's up to individual states to set the rules for amateur MMA... and the rules differ highly between states. Georgia for example has a standing count following a standing knockdown... and NJ just repealed their version of that rule.

There's no unified body to set out what the rules of amateur MMA are and while there are common themes across a lot (No GnP to the head, no heel hooks, shorter rounds etc) anyone talking as if there are one set of rules and regulations is being deliberately obtuse.

well i compete with kickinternational and usa boxing they both are really reputable organisations to have events sanctioned in

well i compete with kickinternational and usa boxing they both are really reputable organisations to have events sanctioned in

I'm not denying that... USA Boxing is the sanctioning body for Olympic-style amateur boxing in the US and from my understanding kickinternational is just as you say... a very reputable group.

But calling kickinternational a sanctioning group that sets the rules for amateur MMA is akin to calling Shoota a sanctioning group that sets the rules for professional MMA. Yes Shooto sanctions events and has its own rules... but those rules are bound by the real sanctioning body, the state/country in question.

It's similar to how the ABC sanctioning groups in Pro-boxing mandate certain rules (open scoring, differing rules regarding to cut stoppages etc etc) but the fighters chose to take part in contests under those rules... the rules they are mandated to take come from the state.

Back