King Mo: "Sherdog y'all knew I won"

It's not about striking, it's about fighting. Wrestlers still need to do some damage or go for submissions or something. This bullshit where a guy like Mo thinks he can just land takedowns and nothing else for a win has got to stop.

If we look at the fight as a whole, it's completely disingenuous to say that Mo just wrestled, full stop. What should have won him the third round was almost exclusively grappling, though, you're right. That made for a shitty fight. It also should have won him the fight under the scoring critiera.

People have gotten too accustomed to scoring a takedown more than a punch...

"Control" only means something if something is able to be done with it... We don't reward the boxer for running circles around the opponent if he NEVER throws a punch while doing it. Infact, we likely penalize him for avoiding combat, no?. Lets call a spade a spade...

Chandler and Mo were a real wake-up call to MMA, I hope.

This sums up the situation very well, he didn't control Rampage on the ground well because Rampage got up each time and Mo backed up and ran away whenever the fight was on the feet.

I am glad the judges decided to give it to Rampage, even though neither guy really won that fight, because it conveys the message that you have to push the pace and try to hurt your opponent and can't coast using only one aspect of MMA.

Mo did nothing but control Jackon against the cage... For all the holding he did, nothing ever came of it. Every time they separated Jackson was the only one landing, and Mo looked lost. Jackson did more damage in any given minute of that fight than Mo did in the entirety of the bout. Mo controlled, but didn't advance position or do anything meaningful. Jackson made use of every moment Mo wasn't glued to him.

Tito's speech at the beginning sounds like a whole bunch of Journey songs.
Hearing Tito talk is the worst. He tries to be motivational these days but he sucks at speaking so he just kinda ends up sounding like an idiot and like he's trying to live off of his past achievements. He just doesn't stfu and tries to take over everything.

Also, Fuckin' Bjorn during the Mo Rampage back and forth lol

I thought rampage won lay and pray shoudnt be awarded that many points rampage was backing him up most of the fight had him wobbled all Mo did was take him down Rampage won in my eyes.

He was talking about the media scores, as well. Essentially every media outlet gave the fight to Mo. It was shit judging.

And a shit performance by Mo. They let Askren go, but keep giving Mo main event fights despite him putting on horrible performances.

If we look at the fight as a whole, it's completely disingenuous to say that Mo just wrestled, full stop. What should have won him the third round was almost exclusively grappling, though, you're right. That made for a shitty fight. It also should have won him the fight under the scoring critiera.

I watched the whole fight and I'll be damned if I can see anything significant that Mo did in terms of offense, outside of just getting top control.

I like Mo's response to all this bullshit about standing and banging. It was a shit fight, granted, but if you only want to watch striking, go watch talented strikers in striking sports.
It's not as cut-and-dry as all promoters having the mindset of "striking >>>>> grappling" though. I'm pretty sure that even casuals can appreciate at least the visual effect of wild, back-and-forth scrambling. It's that having a guy failing to pass while laying in the other dude's guard isn't impressive or really even interesting for anyone, except those with the technical knowledge to discern what the bottom guy is doing to nullify passes, etc. Not all grappling is created equally.

I would need to rewatch the fight to actually score it, but on principal I would only award a round to Mo where he spent at least 10 seconds in side control (presuming that nothing else of note happened in that round, because I do remember him passing once or twice).

The problem overall is that judges see top guard as "top position", when that is fallacious: top position is mount, side control, N/S etc. because top control (see: pressure) does not come into play until you have the passed the guard.
JayElectra said:
Under the criteria, the worst Mo deserved was a draw.
Probably, yeah.

I love ya Mo, but you tried to point out the decision instead of fight. You didn't do any damage. You didn't control him well. And when you were standing you looked loopy and lost.

I still root for ya, but I calls'm as I sees'm and that looked like a loss to me.

I agree, however; if this was in the UFC he would of won. Ya, get got takedowns, but he didn't do anything with it and that's how it should be.

*runs away from opponent the entire fight and threatens punches with feints but never actually lands anything*

*gets into clinches for just under half the fight and looses them all clearly, but spends the other half of the fight running and not punching again*

*proceeds to claim controlling the distance and ring/cage generalship*

*claims that if you want to see grappling, go watch a wrestling/bjj competition, as this is MMA and he controlled the fight*

The logic of wrestlers, flipped...

I love how posters talk about "control" so much and don't even realize what it is.

So we just consider holding on to an opponent control? What about Rampage controlling the entire fight outside of the time Mo was holding on for dear life?
If Mo is on top of Rampage he's winning the fight, but if Rampage is stalking MO and controlling the stand up it counts for nothing.

If Mo is going to get credit for having control of Rampage with doing absolutely no damage, then Rampage should get credit for controlling the stand up when he wasn't dealing out the damage. If Rampage gets no credit for controlling the stand up when he wasn't doing damage, then Mo shouldn't get credit for controlling the grappling when he wasn't doing damage.

Can't go both ways.

Drives me crazy how MMA is scored based more as a game, then an actual fight. MMA fans have gotten so used to terrible judging, they now judge that way themselves. It's fucking embarrassing. Winning the actual fight counts less than winning the game now a days.

For reference: you have absolutely not accrued one second of time spent in top position until after you have passed the guard. Not before. Forward pressure from top guard is basically asking to get armbarred. The whole reason it's called top control is because, SURPRISE: from mount, side control, etc., you have the ability to control their whole body by distributing your weight. But, you cannot establish top control without first passing guard because, from guard, it is really only possible to pressure via distributing your weight over their hips (aka PASSING GUARD).

Those inane UFC "time spent in top position" counters, when really the guy has spent NO time in top position, have all fooled you.

Crap judges-- that award 10-9s to whoever was in top guard for 2 minutes because they don't know shit about grappling-- do not invalidate truth.

Last edited:
Drives me crazy how MMA is scored based more as a game, then an actual fight. MMA fans have gotten so used to terrible judging, they now judge that way themselves. It's fucking embarrassing. Winning the actual fight counts less than winning the game now a days.

BINGO!

The psychology of many MMA fans is sad :(

Lol at people calling bullshit on Rebney's decision. 14:08

Last edited:
If Mo is going to get credit for having control of Rampage with doing absolutely no damage, then Rampage should get credit for controlling the stand up when he wasn't dealing out the damage. If Rampage gets no credit for controlling the stand up when he wasn't doing damage, then Mo shouldn't get credit for controlling the grappling when he wasn't doing damage.

Can't go both ways.

I essentially, like, wanna have sex with this post.

A++++ nail, head, etc.

Rampage took it and looked much fresher at the end also.

What's with everybody not liking fighters that are good wrestler that attempt to grapple their opponents? You guys should've watched JMM vs Alvarado last night instead if you only like standup fighting.

What's with everybody not liking fighters that are good wrestler that attempt to grapple their opponents? You guys should've watched JMM vs Alvarado last night instead if you only like standup fighting.

And if you complain about a striker running in circles specifically to avoiding engagement, should I then point you to a BJJ or Wrestling competition?

Back