Kindergarten teacher gets physical and grabs 6-year old's face

I worked in classrooms with very difficult children. What was the most frustrating was that usually by the end of the week the kids were starting to behave better because they had a full 5 days of being at school and spending less time at home. Then the weekend would come and they spent the weekend out of school and exclusively with their parents and they would be back to square one on Monday. Things would get even worse if there was an extended holiday.

If those kids could be completely taken out of their environment or their parents made some changes, its very possible the kids could change their behavior. The problem is that the kids will normally go back to the same living environment so it feels like all the effort put into trying to change their behavior is a waste of time. It's like Sisyphus rolling the boulder up the hill only to have it roll down again.

Unless you can change the child's home environment, its extremely difficult to change their behavior.

You were a teacher? Which province or city did you work? Public schools?

You were a teacher? Which province or city did you work? Public schools?

I was a teacher assistant in mainly high needs classes in public schools. I also worked in group homes and with some other special needs groups to supplement my income because TA's don't make much money.

I worked in the province of Alberta, which has incredible funding for special needs persons and programs relative to many places in the world.

I couldn't take it anymore after 10 years, mostly because of the politics involved and the severe lack of income, so I decided to move on to something else.

I was a teacher assistant in mainly high needs classes in public schools. I also worked in group homes and with some other special needs groups to supplement my income because TA's don't make much money.

I worked in the province of Alberta, which has incredible funding for special needs persons and programs relative to many places in the world.

I couldn't take it anymore after 10 years, mostly because of the politics involved and the severe lack of income, so I decided to move on to something else.

High needs is that troubled youth or poor, or handicapped...? If so then you probably saw a side most of us havent seen. And worked with best of the worst and the worst of fhe worse to put it bluntly... tough gig.

This teacher crossed a line with someone else's kid and should be charged. If a man were to do that to a woman out in public, he would be arrested.

Yes, it's certainly possible that spanking him in the past contributed to his behavior, if that what you are asking.

That's not really what I was getting at. While I don't generally think spanking is a great idea, I don't think it probably has anything to do with the trouble your son was getting into at school.

If you are asking "hey you just said you'd be the crap out of the teacher"; is your own behavior towards others contributing to his behavior? I'd say no, as he doesn't read sherdog :)...neither my wife or i present ourselves as angry retaliatory people to our children.

This is more along the lines of what I was getting at. Kids completely soak in the emotions of their parents...even if they don't even know what that word means, probably more than anything we consciously do or say as parents, our "aura" for lack of a better word, is soaked in by our children every day and it contributes to who they are. The way we carry ourselves, treat other people, talk to them and our spouses, react to situations, etc. I'm not saying that kids always mirror the attitudes of their parents, but that those attitudes affect the kids one way or another.

So I read your post about your physically and verbally aggressive son, then see your comment about wanting to beat the shit out of a teacher and couldn't help but connect a couple dots. I really don't mean to come off as a keyboard warrior parent that is lecturing you, judging you or blaming you for your son's behavior...I think the rest of your post is evidence that you're probably level-headed, and as you say, you don't present yourself as angry or retaliatory to the kids. That's great, just be aware that things that we never intend to be seen, felt or "soaked in" by our kids, definitely are. I'm glad to hear things are going better for him lately.

This teacher crossed a line with someone else's kid and should be charged. If a man were to do that to a woman out in public, he would be arrested.

If its wrong for someone to hit another person's child, what makes it acceptable for parents to hit their own kids?

If its the act of hitting children is wrong in itself what makes it acceptable for parents to hit their children?

If its wrong for someone to hit another person's child, what makes it acceptable for parents to hit their own kids?

If its the act of hitting children is wrong in itself what makes it acceptable for parents to hit their children?

These questions could make for a thread of their own....

I have stated multiple times in this thread that what the teacher did was unacceptable and should face consequences for her actions.

I was responding to the many posters in this thread who seem to have a naively idealistic view of children. If I have learned anything in the 10 years I spent working in schools it is that children are not the sweet, mild-mannered angels people believe them to be. Children can be taught to behave in a civil manner but if they are not raised properly they can be brutally vicious, self-entitled, out of control animals. Though, there are children with mental and developmental disorders where there isn't much that can be done.

The way the schools are these days the teachers really can't do much. They can send the kid out of the classroom but he will be back within an hour to raise hell after the principal gives him a typical lecture on how to behave properly. There are kids who will go to the principal's office 4-5 times a day and then go back to class.

Schools are ruled by thugs and bullies. An extreme example of this is the kids who kill themselves after years of being severely bullied. Parents call to get the bullying stopped and all the teachers do is tell the kids to shake hands and say they are sorry.

There should be strict zero tolerance policies on violence for both teachers and students. Kids who are hitting and bullying should be out of the classroom and placed into special classrooms until they can prove they are ready to act properly in a regular classroom.

What is the purpose of going on this rant about horrible kids and bullies? Do you know this kid? He can be the nicest kid in the world. For all we know the teacher is a child molester and runs a sweatshop. Now should I go on a rant about pedophiles and forced child labor?? Smh

In Mexico, teachers are allow to punish kids how they see fit. Growing up, I got my fingers hit with a ruler on multiple occasions.

Back