Kindergarten teacher gets physical and grabs 6-year old's face

Child talks smack at school you expect the teacher to put up with it? It's a good lesson for the clamlett.

so if your kid was a piece of shit, you'd totally be ok with a teacher getting physical with him/her?

Yes, I'm reading things like this

And this

And trying to tell you that it wasn't about her making herself feel better. She was trying to get the kid to fall in line. I guess if having a less disruptive child in class makes her feel better, then fine, that's why she did it.

But what I'm saying is her ultimate motivation was not "to make herself feel better", it was to correct the kid's behavior.

Look, we agree she should not have done that and I think she should probably get fired. Some of your rants though, about her as a person and why she did that, seemed out of touch to me.

You said I said she did it to feel better ABOUT HERSELF? Which I never said. "Feel better" and "feel better about herself" are two very different things.

This old bag clearly got frustrated to the point that she needed a physical release, and she did that by picking him up, pushing him against a wall, grabbing him by the face and shirt, and threatening him. The same way a child hits another kid or a drunk in a bar hits someone who is pissing him off.

She didn't do it to correct his behaviour, because no kindergarten teacher is going to consider that a useful strategy, she did it because she was mad at him.

It looks like we agree overall, but do not misinterpret what I said.

The inbred variety we need a separate continent for all the mental retards of the world to develop .................................slowly. :icon_lol: You do not grab anyone living in the face unless you are an alien or bounty hunter.

Yes, I'm reading things like this

And this

And trying to tell you that it wasn't about her making herself feel better. She was trying to get the kid to fall in line. I guess if having a less disruptive child in class makes her feel better, then fine, that's why she did it.

But what I'm saying is her ultimate motivation was not "to make herself feel better", it was to correct the kid's behavior.

Look, we agree she should not have done that and I think she should probably get fired. Some of your rants though, about her as a person and why she did that, seemed out of touch to me.

There is a huge difference between trying to get a kid to fall into line and grabbing them by the shirt and smacking them off the wall and threatening to rip them apart.

There is a huge difference between trying to get a kid to fall into line and grabbing them by the shirt and smacking them off the wall and threatening to rip them apart.

No, not really. In fact not at all, that's what it is, a desperate, misguided attempt to get the kid to act how you want him to, i.e., fall into line.

What about all the Catholic schools over the years that don't even hide the fact that they smack their kids when they get out of line? Is there some other motivation there, other than to get the kid to behave the way they want him to?

You need a kid to fall into line, you have a variety of measures at your disposal...physically intimidating and threatening them is hardly a novel one. It's not generally accepted at public schools today - which I agree with - but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist as a method of behavior correction, or that any time it's employed it means that the person carrying it out has a bloodlust or something.

Look at the "in my day crowd".. Your day sucked.

This is the new day where we don't allow sociopaths to abuse children and where you won't get away with justifying unleashing your rage on children with "discipline" excuse.

Some kids need/deserve a whooping.

lol this is nothing. I remember many years ago as a child in a 3ed world country when I ran away from school and the teacher gave the whole class permission to chase after me and get me back in class. When I was brought back, the teacher gave be an ass whopping. I didnt tell my parents, because I know they would do the same if they found out what I did. Little bit of discipline aint gonna hurt anyone

Sounds third world to me.

No, not really.

You don't have children do you? Yes, there is a huge difference between objectively trying to correct an incorrect behavior via appropriate consequences and smacking around a 6 year old because you're tired of him. They aren't even comparable.

What about all the Catholic schools over the years that don't even hide the fact that they smack their kids when they get out of line? Is there some other motivation there, other than to get the kid to behave the way they want him to?

I grew up Catholic. Don't try to tell me about all the right the Catholic Church has done over the years.

You need a kid to fall into line, you have a variety of measures at your disposal...physically intimidating and threatening them is hardly a novel one. It's not generally accepted at public schools today - which I agree with - but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist as a method of behavior correction, or that any time it's employed it means that the person carrying it out has a bloodlust or something

Agian, there is a difference between punishment, even physical punishment, and just outright losing your cool and crossing the line with a kid.

Which should be administered by their legal guardian, NOT a teacher,

This is my take on it. I have an 8 yr old and a 10 yr old. Punishment for misbehaving is perfectly acceptable. What that teacher did is not an acceptable form of punishment for a teacher to hand out. A teacher grabbing my kid by his face/shirt or whatever and pushing him against the wall would create a serious issue with me.

You don't have children do you? Yes, there is a huge difference between objectively trying to correct an incorrect behavior via appropriate consequences and smacking around a 6 year old because you're tired of him. They aren't even comparable.

Yes I do, 2 of them, the oldest which is the same age as the kid in the video.

And I never punish them physically, but to say that what this teacher did is in some different galaxy from the discipline methods I imply is simply not true. She didn't smack him around. She lost her cool and it was entirely inappropriate for the school setting, but in the end she was trying to get him to listen, that's all.

I've felt like doing that many times to my kids...when they are testing the fuck out of you, it's not such a leap to want to grab them like that to get their attention. This is why I can say it's not something that isn't even comparable...it's right there next to yelling. You yell, you are effectively doing the same thing this teacher did - intimidating the kid into compliance...often after having lost your cool to some degree.

Agian, there is a difference between punishment, even physical punishment, and just outright losing your cool and crossing the line with a kid.

Now you're honing your message and making sense. I agree her physicality wasn't a calculated system of punishment meant to correct behavior. She lost her shit and crossed the line, and I recognize the difference, but it was meant to correct behavior.

You've changed your message a bit from simply saying

I mean, read that post again. Grabbing him by the shirt and smacking him and threatening to rip him apart IS precisely "trying to get him to fall into line." So there's not a huge difference, one is meant to result in the other.

This is my take on it. I have an 8 yr old and a 10 yr old. Punishment for misbehaving is perfectly acceptable. What that teacher did is not an acceptable form of punishment for a teacher to hand out. A teacher grabbing my kid by his face/shirt or whatever and pushing him against the wall would create a serious issue with me.

Personally, I don't agree with corporeal punishment for the fact that every study ever done on it shows that it has no benefit over any other type of punishment, and some even show it has negative consequences. However, if parents feel they can raise a good kid by giving them some physical punishment, that is up to them.

It is NOT up to the teacher. They do not know how the parent is raising the child. The only people arguing for this are the people who got the shit beaten out of them by their teachers and can't disconnect themselves from it.

If that teacher was a man he'd be crucified by now.

Back