Kimura throw, endless possibilities with limited defense?

Can't you counter a single leg with one as well? I'm sure Schultz did something like that.

I go for throws like harai goshi and uchi mata with the kimura lock. Pretty simple to do, and I have an easier time throwing and taking a good side mount since there is no space between your bodies.

I have a hard time going to grab the kimura from standing though, especially against a decent judoka. I have had success in BJJ class against guys who rarely see judo takedowns though. Other than passing your lapel gripping hand over the head and under the arm, does anyone have any decent setups? I like to be sneaky, but there isnt anything subtle about how I go for the kimura grip standing. I can see a cross collar grip being switched over pretty easily, anyone do that?

I'd be interested in hearing some setups as well.

The guy who did it on my had wrist control and immediately (I thought) went to hit kata guruma. When I defended he sprang up and took the kimura grip. Sort of brute force but it seemed to work

Can't you counter a single leg with one as well? I'm sure Schultz did something like that.

yeah for an outside single you are in a good angle, even if the guy has your leg high up

I'd be interested in hearing some setups as well.

The guy who did it on my had wrist control and immediately (I thought) went to hit kata guruma. When I defended he sprang up and took the kimura grip. Sort of brute force but it seemed to work

you intercept the hand if they try to go for your back for a hip throw and come over the top to clear the head(the going up also works to break the grip the guy has got on your sleeve (may have to do a circular thing with your hand to break it aswell)

But most often the setup is them trying to double/single or bodylock you

there should be a gif of karo using it against gsp to sweep him

a setup I am gonna try is to work it if a failed armdrag, if he defends by yanking back I am going for it

there should be a gif of karo using it against gsp to sweep him

karokimuraattempt.gif

:icon_chee

awesome. that sweep was sick, but I'm more impressed by the escape/reversal

I love this move and I always try to pull it off during training. Gotta couple of questions though:

- When my opponent has my back, I often find myself surrendering hooks or getting crossfaced with the free hand with this grip. I know it used to be Sakuraba's go to move in such situations. What am I doing wrong here?

- How is using to counter an inside single different from an outside single?

I love this move and I always try to pull it off during training. Gotta couple of questions though:

- When my opponent has my back, I often find myself surrendering hooks or getting crossfaced with the free hand with this grip. I know it used to be Sakuraba's go to move in such situations. What am I doing wrong here?

- How is using to counter an inside single different from an outside single?

if anyone has an answer I would love to know as well. I was told, getting a kimura in whatever position is like holding that arm hostage ie. they have to defend or break that grip first, but the other day someone had my back and I locked in the kimura, but they one armed RNC'd me.....it sucked...lol

I go for throws like harai goshi and uchi mata with the kimura lock. Pretty simple to do, and I have an easier time throwing and taking a good side mount since there is no space between your bodies.

I have a hard time going to grab the kimura from standing though, especially against a decent judoka. I have had success in BJJ class against guys who rarely see judo takedowns though. Other than passing your lapel gripping hand over the head and under the arm, does anyone have any decent setups? I like to be sneaky, but there isnt anything subtle about how I go for the kimura grip standing. I can see a cross collar grip being switched over pretty easily, anyone do that?

what do you specifically do when it hits the mat, as easy as just shifting your hips and going for the same side kimura?

in the Nate Highlight we see that even when you get the throw you are practically landing ontop of them and it seems easy for them to get hooks in

ttt for being the craziest shit I've seen in a while. I've been trying this lately, and it's great. I approve of this. I approve of the kimura throw.

Here's what I was talking about. Schultz defending the single.

Back