Kimura is a Strong Man's submission

You gotta be a Strong Man to finish the kimura from the bottom
Not necessarily. Strong grip for sure, but someone that is very technical on the ground can finish a strong person with a kimura from bottom. I'm a little surprised it's not a more sought after submission, because it has so many options off of it.

LMAO. this guy.

He's not entirely wrong. Jacare being much stronger than Marcelo is pretty much what allowed that submission to happen. Much like how Werdum was able to force Overeem's arm out for his kimura in the first fight.

Kimura from the bottom is incredibly hard to pull off, mostly because you simply don't have the leverage alot of the time. If someone stays heavy and doesn't give you any room to bring your hips into things it literally becomes one and a half arms against gravity, the weight of the opponent, the position, and the shoulder of the guy you're trying to execute on.

It's basically the exact opposite of most principles in jiu jitsu, because it more or less pits brute strength against the odds. Tehcnique is most certainly an element, but from the bottom it's not the biggest element in play by a long shot.

You gotta be a Strong Man to finish the kimura from the bottom
Agreed. I'm 5,9 155lbs. Bjj purple belt and I only ever faint a kimura attack and never try to actually finish, you really have to muscle them shits to make someone tap and it's very dangerous.

He's not entirely wrong. Jacare being much stronger than Marcelo is pretty much what allowed that submission to happen. Much like how Werdum was able to force Overeem's arm out for his kimura in the first fight.

Kimura from the bottom is incredibly hard to pull off, mostly because you simply don't have the leverage alot of the time. If someone stays heavy and doesn't give you any room to bring your hips into things it literally becomes one and a half arms against gravity, the weight of the opponent, the position, and the shoulder of the guy you're trying to execute on.

It's basically the exact opposite of most principles in jiu jitsu, because it more or less pits brute strength against the odds. Tehcnique is most certainly an element, but from the bottom it's not the biggest element in play by a long shot.
He made it seem like Marcelo is in another universe when comparing technique. He is entirely wrong in that regard. You can argue that Marcelo is better, but if he is, it's not by much. Jacare's technique is the elite of the elite. He didn't beat Garcia just because he's bigger and stronger. As if Marcelo is some sort of weakling.

And putting your hips into the right position to finish the kimura from bottom is the proper technique. If you're muscling it from a head on angle, yeah, you're muscling it. Jacare put his hips in the right position to get the kimura angle. It was beautiful technique.

QWO6GM.gif

I didn't say Marcelo was technically much superior, I just think he is a better technician overall...And the fight was basically for like 2 or 3 minutes Jacare with his closed guard using all his strengh to muscle out the kimura and break the grip of Marcelo.

Someone clearly didn't watch TUF 20. Rose Namajunas finished 2 opponents by kimuras from the bottom (she actually reversed Randa Markos and completed a submission from the top).

For some reason, all highlights or GIFs are absent. The only visual representation I found was this:

Thug.jpg

That's no surprise. Markos is a horribly overrated fighter.

Kimora/ Americana. My fave submission.
To me, it feels like the K.O. of the submission game.
There's no getting caught. Everyone involved knows exactly what's happening. There's a battle of strength. Either it's over or it's not.

I'm not a pro but at lower level at judo/bjj i used to submit stronger guys with good technique/positioning. I'm a weak guy

Not if you do it right.

Your whole body vs his shoulder? You don't need to be that physically strong

The nice thing is, is you don't even need the full kimura grip to hit the hip bump sweep. What I'll do is I'll bait hard that I'm going for the arm, and when the opponent is 100% in defending that, I'll hit the hip bump. Vice versa works too. Bait the sweep and they leave the arm open.

Not true. Im a skinny dude and its one of my best subs except from the triangle. Angle and hips.

As Rogan says. Using a kimura from side control top with leg over head? (mir-nog 2) sure. But trying to crank that son of a bitch from guard bottom against gravity? Good luck pal. I think Nover got one on tuf 8, but it is a rare sub from bottom

Yes. Kind of. It was against Roop. Roop tried to roll over but Nover stopped him half way so Roop was tucked in a ball and Nover got that last bit of push for the submission. But Nover was a strong mofo, so the concept is still kind of true.

I'd rather say that the Kimura is one where strength can compensate for lack in technique and positioning. If you get the ideal position you can certainly kimura guys stronger than yourself.

Uhhn, that's pretty much what I was saying
The point is double wrist lock is not a strong man's weapon, even from closed guard. Werdum vs Reem most obvious example. If you agree then your original comment was pointless and confusing.

He made it seem like Marcelo is in another universe when comparing technique. He is entirely wrong in that regard. You can argue that Marcelo is better, but if he is, it's not by much. Jacare's technique is the elite of the elite. He didn't beat Garcia just because he's bigger and stronger. As if Marcelo is some sort of weakling.

And putting your hips into the right position to finish the kimura from bottom is the proper technique. If you're muscling it from a head on angle, yeah, you're muscling it. Jacare put his hips in the right position to get the kimura angle. It was beautiful technique.

QWO6GM.gif

I don't think Marcelo is "worlds away" better than Jacare. He may very well be a more technical grappler but the margin isn't really wide enough for Jacare's size to not come into play.

But Jacare did just straight muscle that kimura in. His hips weren't in the right position, he didn't get any torque by shrimping out or creating space until it was already too late. He literally pulled Marcelo's hands apart by way of arm strength. He looked more like he wanted a sweep there than to complete the sub until he realized just how deep he had it. To that point he was just using grapevines to keep Marcelo from advancing while he figured out what to do with it.

But I agree that anyone acting like Marcelo is a god next to Jacare skill wise is just talking out of their ass.

Back