Kimura form halfguard/kneeshield

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Belseblubb, May 16, 2014.

1. Belseblubb

Belseblubb White Belt

Hi guys!

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a question regarding Kimura from halfguard/kneeshield.

Lately I have been working on the halfguard/kneeshield and been trying to set up loopchokes or kimuras

I usually get the kneeshield on my oponents left side, which leaves his right arm open for a kimura if im able to break his posture and force him to put the right arm on the mat.

The problem is, when I get they Kimura grip the just grip their hands and block my kimura with the knee.

My question is (finally) In what way can i still get the kimura? or do I just release my grips and start over for something else? What do you guys do from this position?

Thanks in advance!

2. joeytriangles

joeytriangles Orange Belt

Back take if they hide their arm:

[YT]gvKee6ZKw_o[/YT]

To get their arm free:

[YT]QeBNImPOMNQ[/YT]

If you can't get their arm free with the previous technique:

[YT]WtB23AoF8KI[/YT]

3. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

Get a Butterfly Hook in and sweep them with it. It's much easier to finish a Kimura from the top - it's just mechanically superior, better leverage, more space to move, et cetera.

4. Title Fight Productions

Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

I like to get the hook in and sweep also, but it can be hard. I also like to loosen or even open my half guard and bait them to pass. As they pass I keep the Kimura grip tight and on my chest, bench press and bridge at the same time and roll them over, know your In top side, with a strong Kimura/DWL grip.

You need to keep your hips close as they pass to keep that Kimura over your chest for the bench press motion. The thing that kills this move is if they keep there hips very low or far away. But usually they are so excited about the pass and up coming farside armbar they are going to get on you that there hips get a bit high........and they next thing they know they are effortlessly rolling onto there back.....

More risk=more reward!

5. Belseblubb

Belseblubb White Belt

Thanks alot guys, have to try this out!