Kimura Breaking

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by JungleKungFu, Jul 25, 2010.

1. JungleKungFu

JungleKungFu Bullwinkle Belt

So i roll with my friend who is bigger the me im about 5 ft 6 130 hes 6 ft 190 and i'm always able to sweep him from guard or half guard the only problem is as soon as im on top he always locks my wrist due to him having very long arms and i try to roll and escape or break his wrist control but it never seems to work any tips please?

2. dataws6

dataws6 Blue Belt

Your title says Kimura Break...
    if your on top in half guard or mount a good defense is to straighten your arm and sit up this will wrist lock the person doing the kimura.

3. FuneralPyre

FuneralPyre Purple Belt

If I'm in top half guard and he tries to kimura, I put my hand near my chest/stomach and punch outward and upward almost like I want to bring my hand above my head and wave. I've seen people lock their hands and sit up but I never found that to be necessary. If you're slow and it's a desperate situation, you can put your hand inside your leg. That grip is really hard to break from half guard.

4. JungleKungFu

Yeah i meant like breaking out of a Kimura sorry it does sound strange but thanks for the ideas

5. war path

war path White Belt

you can actually reverse the kimura and kimura him if you are on top and in your opponent's half guard.

6. JoshGrrrr

JoshGrrrr Blue Belt

The advanced guys always shoulder lock me if I try kimura from half guard. I don't know exactly how they do it. I've never really asked.

I do know that you need to keep your keep your hands palms up when on top in half guard and someone is trying to kimura you. Resisting with your palm up is MUCH stronger than resisting the sub attempt palm down.

BTW, he's not getting it because he has long arms. He's getting it because you are a little sloppy with your arms.

7. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Is this two trained people rolling in an academy or club? Or is it two untrained people grappling in their house somewhere.

I guess what I'm asking is whether you're trying to learn to grapple, or whether you want to know how to beat your friend in your living room.

Are you on top in guard or half guard? Gi or no gi? The appropriate defenses/counters depend on this.

8. JungleKungFu

yeah we train at Relson Gracie academy and its no gi

9. SuperSuperRambo

Glad to hear it. Half or full guard?

You can put pressure on him with your shoulder and head, reach through and grab your own hand, then crank it up and out. Either he lets go or he's shoulder locking himself. Key to this is using your head to put the pressure on him. And don't reach around his body or arms or legs or anything. Try it out, you'll see what I mean.

But if you have good positioning in the first place he shouldn't be able to get the lock in the first place.

10. war path

war path White Belt

they do this by leaning back and actually going through the kimura motion. they pull your arm up and across.

11. Knuckles69

Knuckles69 Purple Belt

Why not ask your instructor?

It's a little strange to me when people pay good money to train at a reputable BJJ school and then come on an internet forum and ask people they don't know questions about technique.

At my school our Head Instructor or any of the Brown Belts would be happy to go over those techniques with you to solidify your game. Do you just not feel comfortable asking your instructors or coaches?

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, just curious.

12. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

I guess some people are a little shy or nervous to ask their instructor.

13. Thalion

Thalion Green Belt

It really depends on how strong/skilled is the guy that try the kimura

If he isn't that strong or skilled, I usually let him having the Kimura, then switch the hips like the halfguard pass were you face his legs ( like this guard pass YouTube - Judo - niju garami (halfguard) pass - Kashiwazaki)

From there he didn't have the space and leverage to use the kimura, so you can either:

- take with the other hand his wrist, pull the arm up and apply a kimura on him (I don't so much since i'm very weak and do not like to use strenght against strenght)

- Let him have the kimura since it's no real danger, and work to free your leg and then spin to the jujigatame armbar

14. SuperSuperRambo

Not only that, but if you're inexperienced, you probably have a ton of questions. You don't want to be that white belt kid asking your instructor a million questions when he has things to do.