Kimchi - Did anyone tried Kimchi?

Panmisiek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Kimchi is a traditional Korean dish made of seasoned vegetables and salt. Koreans eat it at nearly every meal. It can be fresh, like a salad, or it can be fermented.

To be specific it is a nappa cabbage seasoned with paste made of chilli flakes/powder, minced garlic and ginger, spring onions, sugar or apple puree and other vegetables and then fermented in jars for couple days.

I ordered 2 jars on Amazon cant wait for delivery :D

KimchiNice-m-0128.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

I got inspired to try it by BisexualMMA favourite youtuber: Mark Wiens

I like it but wouldn't order any off Amazon. Just go to a Korean place.

I don't think it's actually Kimchi unless it's fermented. I like it a a lot but don't know why, the lactic acid gives it a pretty tart taste but for reason reason it's pretty good. Contrary to popular belief it has no real medicinal properties and the belief that Koreans need to eat it to substitute for an enzyme they lack is a myth.

Love me some kimchi. I've got a friend that regularly has some shipped in from Korea and she is always gracious enough to share with me :)

GOOD kimchi is awesome, but there's also a lot of mediocre kimchi out there. Tip for any korean bbq noobs, grilling some kimchi with the meat can add a new dimension of flavor.

I used to hate it then I liked it

I've even made it before. Gonna make it again when I get my sauerkraut crock back this fall.

I've never ate it, but years ago at a shop I use to work at the viets would always go "kim chi yum yum!". Going off what it looks like and how they always blew up the bathroom, it kinda makes sense.

I enjoy Kimchii. I think for most people it is an acquired taste. It certainly was for me.

If no one explained it to you and just handed it to you with your other food, you'd think "ummm, I think something is wrong with this robustly scented cabbage. It appears to have gone bad."

The flavor and scent is very powerful. Here are my recommendations:

1: like someone else mentioned, it's better to try at a Korean restaurant first. They will be pairing it with the flavors that best compliment it. Only people that have really acquired the taste for it tend to enjoy it straight from a jar. But if you're going to go that route....

2. Try a small bite by itself. I wouldn't be surprised if your initial reaction is "Nope! That's not good one bit!" But don't give up on it just yet. Your next bite should be paired with foods. Pair it with rice and Korean BBQd meats. But if where your from you don't have easy access to Korean BBQ, then just some good BBQd meat will do. I actually think it pairs well with American BBQ as well.

3. Wait. Most people don't walk away from their first experience loving Kimchi, which is the intensity of 1000 dill pickles. But a few days later, if it worked, you'll suddenly have a hankering for the stuff and you will officially be a guy that enjoys Kimchii. If not, it's not for you.

Also, it's great in mission style burritos.

I had it a few times when I visted Korea.

It was all right but I don't find myself craving it or anything.

It's pretty good. Don't eat it on its own tho as the taste can be initially overwhelming, grab small forkfulls every other bite I'd say.

Also, it's great in mission style burritos.

I much prefer kimchi cooked. I once put kimchi with sour cream and salami between two slices of toasted rye bread and it was surprisingly good. There's one noodle place near my work that has the best kimchi I've ever had. I don't know what they put in it but it is leagues above other kimchi I've had.

I don't think it's actually Kimchi unless it's fermented. I like it a a lot but don't know why, the lactic acid gives it a pretty tart taste but for reason reason it's pretty good. Contrary to popular belief it has no real medicinal properties and the belief that Koreans need to eat it to substitute for an enzyme they lack is a myth.

There are certain kinds of kimchi that isn't fermented and people still call it kimchi though. I don't know at what point you can call it kimchi, but there are different degrees of fermentation (some not at all) and some types don't even use cabbage. I don't think most koreans take the claims of kimchi having disease curing, medicinal properties seriously. At least the ones I know anyway.

I'll take "things white people are eating in 2016" for $300 Alex

True story: I once ordered 10lbs of Kimchi in bulk from a wholesaler, then forgot about it in my fridge downstairs. The gasses from the fermentation ended up popping the lid off the jar over time, and it leaked everywhere. The smell was so rancid, I ended up having to toss the fridge.

Still love it though - great for gut health.

Why bother with Kimchi,when you can eat Bulgogi?

I'm a straight from the jar Kimchi guy so that being said I've sat stoned in front of the fridge looking to create kimchi combos many times.

It might sound weird but spicy hot Dorito's with a few chunks of kimchi on top is fucking delightful.

Back