Kim Couture wins by pretty slick choke

Are you sure the arm is in?

On Braulio Estima's choke of Garcia, yes. On Kim's now that I really look at it, I think it's not provable from the camera angle.

Drew - I know exactly what you're talking about. I've been training for a good amount of time (4+ years), but due to injuries/school, am still a blue belt with a loooong way to go. But between helping teach children's classes and spending a lot of time around the sport, I have a semi-decent ability to break down concepts and help others. I always joke about how my "theoretical jiu-jitsu" is far superior to my actual jiu-jitsu.

At least I'm not alone LOL.

On Braulio Estima's choke of Garcia, yes. On Kim's now that I really look at it, I think it's not provable from the camera angle.

Im talking about the one Kim did, i don't see how the arm is in, but maybe.:icon_neut

Either way, good for her!

I was pretty sure I typed Braulio Estima. I linked the match one the first page. Drysdale did a Brabo/Darce sprawling off Marcelo's single leg.

Maybe you disagree, but I wouldn't really call the Braulio/Kim choke a Darce.

didn't braulio get marcelo with a normal rnc?

didn't braulio get marcelo with a normal rnc?

I thought so on the live stream, but I just popped in the DVD last night in my hotel room upon watching this thread. He definitely has Marcelo's back but finishes with an arm triangle while staying chest-to-back.

I like this choke, but I never thought of it as an arm triangle. To me it's a no-gi Ezekiel choke. With the gi you grab your sleeve, but without it you you need to grab your own bicep. I like to be off to the side a little and that may help to keep their arm in place, but I never really thought of the mechanics of it as an arm triangle. The other thing I found that helped was bringing up the choking arm while pushing their head down with the opposite arm. The only thing you have to worry about is the person reaching towards their feet with their trapped arm. Luckily most people's instinct is to try to pull on you arm instead which doesn't relieve the pressure in time if you have a tight squeeze.

Back