Killme's training log - becoming a cagefighter

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Killme, May 12, 2014.

1. Killme

Killme The NoGi Bear

Hi, im Killme real name James. im 6ft and 180lbs

Hey guys, my dream is to fight in ufc one day, maybe i will go in the ultiate fighter first or work my way up like frankie edgar or maybe become a star elsewhere first like Hector Lombard or Nick Diaz.

So far i have done karate and tkd but i started an mma gym last week, it was mostly kickboxing though, im going today as well. Having the experience of TKD is good though, it should prepare me even though i can't really punch very well yet.

I think the todays class is mostly ground fighting, im not sure though. it just says "mma" but on other days it says kickboxing and circuits, i will just go down there and find out then.

I bought some mma gloves, 16 oz boxing glove (hopefully that is the right size) gumshield and shorts. I will keep you updated on the journey to the UFC (hopefully)

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. Vampire2

Vampire2 Blue Belt

Write your real name, date of birth and address, that way we can all follow your progress by stalking you.... oh.... we woudl also need your credit card details and your pin number to prove it's actually you.

3. Killme

Killme The NoGi Bear

check you pm

anyway, im really tired today, woke up at 6 am, still gonna go though it would be bad to bitch out already.

4. Ethan

Ethan Green Belt

^^^He wasn't serious.

5. Pro Killer

Pro Killer Black Belt

Lulz

6. Killme

Killme The NoGi Bear

Neither was i....

Anyways, day 1.

So it was most the ground game, mostly how to escape shit, first we were doing some escapes from side control, one where you pull there should, get an under-hook then like..shival out the side, its kind of hard to explain honestly.

then we were doing some mount escapes, to half guard then one that i reallt struggled to pull of, it was slick when the instructor did it though, he bumped his hips, put his foot on the other guys hips then caught a heel hook like it was nothing.

we then got onto some rolling, i was paired with another newish guy, he had been before but wasn't super skilled, he was really really strong looking though, i did ok at first but ended up tapping 3 times near the end.

Im not sure if i was just being a bitch, but i was tapping quick. annoying!

Overall it was a good session, im quite tired now... so bed time for me.

7. Killme

Killme The NoGi Bear

Kickboxing tonight, should be fun. with my background i do pretty well in a straight stand up fight, my hands have never been all that great, so thats where i need most of the work.

8. Killme

Killme The NoGi Bear

Ok...

So, got there... warmed up with skipping then medicine balls to the gut, followed by some... i cant remember what there called... you jump to the floor, do a sprawl then pressup then jump back up.

then we started drilling some kicks, which quickly gave away that i knew what the fuck i was doing with my tkd background :D we started with roundhouses to the legs and moved up from body to head.

we then did some sidekicks... which i am a boss at btw. then spinning side kicks. then we moved on to hands, we did some pretty complicated combos tbh, started simple with jabs and right hands onto jab-right-keft hook.

the we did allsorts of long combos with ducking and countering, its pretty hard for me to remember all of the punches, but what ever.

then we sparred, i said i sparred before so they were cool with it. first i went with what i thought was a new guy, but in actual fact he had been coming for about 3 years as i found out at the end... i dropped him 4 times in one round.

with the exact same kick everytime...

i wasnt even kicking hard, just lifting the leg and driving through.

what he would do was lunge in with a big right hand with no set up and everytime i would set to the side... and lift my front leg (left) and plant it across his stomach... 6 times and he was pretty hurt by the two that did not drop him.

first few times i was just stepping back and watching it miss, but he just kept going for it... funny really, how a few front kicks, inside leg kicks and such can get a guy just outright lunging at you.

Then i sparred the guy from last night, turns out he was a boxer for 4 years, he was tough as hell, just walking in on me and kept it on the inside, he beat me up quite a bit, i didnt bitch out or anything, just got tagged a lot.

lastly i sparred a smaller guy, like i said, i weight around 180, he fights at 145 and seemed about 160 right now, he was quick as fuck, but i was strong and by the end my size advantage tired him out and i started working him over.

all in all, fun. but honestly, ive been striking for years in karate and tkd... so as far as learning... not great, but the kind of sparring they do is a lot more... intense than tkd or karate, its more non stop... less about mainting distance and waiting to strike.

Well, that was a long ass post, its because i am more enthusiastic about stand up than i am ground fighting, is anyone even reading this?

9. Killme

Killme The NoGi Bear

kickboxing again,

started out with some simple padwork but soon got the thai pads out and did some combos, 1-2, grab head land knee. flicking the inside left kick and landing the right, that sort of stuff. Then some bag work with a partner, 30mins on, 30 mins off, full pelt.

it was mostly sparring though, there seemed to be a lot of actual fighter here tonight and the whole session was pretty unstructured. Did 4 rounds, started out with a newbie, didnt go to hard, just chipped away. then went in with this relentless slugger, he hit me with many many leg kicks right to the leg.

then i thought a more laid back guy, he didnt seem all that insterested and was most defending. Then i move on to this 6ft 7 skinny guy, quickly chopped the fucker to the floor with leg kicks.

i also landed a knee on the laid back guy, but i was told no knees... i wonder when they allow them in sparring... if at all.

10. Killme

Killme The NoGi Bear

All kickboxing again... again, less people this time, most kickboxingguys.

this session was a pure kickboxing type session, almost tkd honestly. loads of spinning kicks, side kicks, cresents, front kicks.

sparring came along, i put on a clinic this time, people are just not ready for world class tkd, dropped one guy with a leg kick, one with a kick left into the liver... and one guy with a really pretty inside leg kick-light head kick, turning side to the body, this guy was done for a while after that one.

My legs really hurt though, not usual for me, is it normal for this type of intense type of training? Or do i just need to toughen up?

seems to be a lot of stand up here, maybe its just this week... or they are not very ground focused.

Last edited: May 15, 2014