Killing the King:JDS - TheStrikingGuy

Brilliant analysis. It's a bummer he doesn't post here anymore.

Well, risking writing silly shit :p :

As far as the point about level legs goes, wouldn't it be possible for JDS to throw damn heavy hooks anyway while having his feet level, kinda like that:

ig7NImblO1RxK.gif

JDS is really can throw a lot of his hips motion into the uppercuts etc. with seemingly slight shift on his legs, AFAIR.

He threw a lot of nasty shots in the middle of the 1rst round against Big Country, while standing pretty still.

I would have Cain leg kick the hell out of JDS for the first round...Pat Barry style.

I would have Cain leg kick the hell out of JDS for the first round...Pat Barry style.

I touched on it briefly in Cain Velasquez: Easy to Hit, but Cain stands right in front of guys when he kicks.

CV_2_medium.png

He did this three times in a row against Rothwell and finally got nailed for it. He tried to kick against JDS too and JDS came back with the same right straights that he used to drop Mir.

CV_4_medium.png

I like Cain's striking and he has the potential to be a very good striker, but this rematch was so rushed and he's not had to strike against anyone since JDS. He's best to just be a blanket in this one.

If anyone cares the body jab is how Dos Santos finished Velasquez the 1st time. Velasquez tried to jab a lowering JDS and JDS swung the overhand right. In the slo mo replay you can see that Velasquez saw it at the last moment but couldn't do anything about it.

It would be interesting to me if Velasquez falls for the same trick twice. Velasquez would be wise to bull through and shoot on body shots. Mixing in kicks high or low would also be a good start...

Sherdog (in particular the heavies board) has an aversion to intelligent posters. The mods do everything they can to drive them out, so they can keep the drooling masses under control. The mods are kind of like communists in that way.

i guess i'm safe for a while :icon_lol:

Great breakdown Jack.

I recently read your two part article on the Hari/Overeem feud. Awesome stuff!

I like jack, I tend to think he can be a bit bias and it takes away from his writing but it was a good read.

I like his new format and he is learning to stop writing with his emotions.

I touched on it briefly in Cain Velasquez: Easy to Hit, but Cain stands right in front of guys when he kicks.

CV_2_medium.png

He did this three times in a row against Rothwell and finally got nailed for it. He tried to kick against JDS too and JDS came back with the same right straights that he used to drop Mir.

CV_4_medium.png

I like Cain's striking and he has the potential to be a very good striker, but this rematch was so rushed and he's not had to strike against anyone since JDS. He's best to just be a blanket in this one.

I think Cain's build also limits what he can do kicking wise. Hes kinda stubby compared to most HWs.

Great analysis!

Can't wait for the JDS vs Reem analysis when they eventually fight. Did you get to prepare one when they were scheduled to face each other on UFC 146?

CV_2_medium.png

CV_4_medium.png

Very good analysis. I was thinking if Cain can work a Randy Couture style game plan and grind JDS against the cage this would be his best bet to avoid JDS

CV_2_medium.png

CV_4_medium.png

Hmmmm...maybe some new kicking techniques would help the situation? I don't know. It's like you said in your article, all I see is that lead leg of JDS just sitting their. He tends to rock on it a lot. If the kick could be timed at the same time he plants that lead leg, that will hurt.

The vast majority of MMA guys drop one or both hands when they throw a leg kick with any power. I feel JDS's fight IQ is beyond letting that slide. I'd be very impressed if someone made a legkick-centric strategy work.

Look how Gonzaga got KOed during a kick:

Dos-Santos-KO-Gonzaga.gif

Kicks are dangerous against JDS. Crocop, Velasquez, Gonzaga, Mir kicked him a lot and ultimately didn't work. I think Cain's best chance is to go straight for TD's (a la Fitch/Silva).

Back