Killer Instinct

jiujitsujayhawk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do you either have it or you don't????
I notice in training that I am often the least aggressive of the two. In tournaments, I focused on being aggressive but did so in a way where I compromised control of my game.
How do you train yourself to go for the kill in a controlled, but Silva-esque manner?

Honestly I think you either have that touch of sadism ... enjoying crushing the other guy ... or you don't. It's not something you can really develop, you can just lessen its repression.

yeah i dont, i guess im to nice.

I think you have to be molested, or your parents had to have beaten you.. something along those lines.

Me too... I'm too nice a guy.

However, there is a difference between being aggressive and from being a jerk.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out the proper balance between killer agression and a controlled attack.
Where's David Carradine when you need him?

its hard to use a killer instinct in grappling. mma is another story

I am not a naturally aggressive guy.

Before I fight, I train to control the opponent as much as possible, pushing the action constantly. This isn't the same as being an animal, but it gets me close.

Right before I go, I picture this guy about to violate my woman, I say: " If I don't stop him, he will violate my woman. " Then I fight him. I usually get my girl to slap me hard in the back of the head too.

Maybe this is why I do better in full-contact, I'm all nice guy and shit untill he rings my bell, then it's like I "wake-up" in the ring.

I don't go for the killer aggressive mode on newer guys or less inexperienced guys themselves cause I feel liek a jackass...nor do i go crazy on my sparring partners if they asked to go light.

But when its time to spar hard I usually try to be the aggressor even if it means me taking the brunt of the abuse, thats just cause I'm stupid tho and see it as a challenge as "hey u hit me now im gonna try to hit you" until i get dropped or i gass...even tho more than half the time i will get my ass beat cause i only spar hard against the better or bigger & better opponent.

As far as grappling goes, grappling is more like a chess match....calm and relaxed is the best way to do it if it involves no strikes.

Dedicado said:
Maybe this is why I do better in full-contact, I'm all nice guy and shit untill he rings my bell, then it's like I "wake-up" in the ring.

me too. i dont think u can really have a 'killer instinct' in grapplin like u can in striking sports cuz u cant really daze ur opponent , u can only control position. and i think that killer instinct specifically refers 2 the amount of time it takes for you to know when u have put ur opponent in a bad way and pounced on em for the ko.

as some1 else said , jus work on constantly being active and let stuff happen.

I agree that "killer instinct" doesn't have much to do with grappling. Agressiveness however, does apply, mainly to the standup portion. This is probably what you're talking about. Maybe you are just uncomfortable fighting for takedowns. I have the same problem, but I've made a lot of progress. No matter who you roll with in practice, no matter how good your guard, fight for takedowns (of course, you still need technique) until you either get it or get taken down, you will improve.

I'm into the controlled and tactical game, with a dash of trickery and intellect thrown in. I get in trouble because of it every now and then, but more often than not super aggresive people end up in a very bad spot with me...

killer instinct is a blessing and a curse. It often translates into the use of power and strength during your game. This will make you gas FAST in most cases. Knowing when to use it, is what some of the better pro's have figured out. You will notice, in some MMA matches, when a guy goes for "the kill" but doesn't quite finish his opponent, often the opponent will come back and win b/c the guy is now gassed out. Numerous examples of this could easily be made. It's more important to know WHEN to drop the hammer, and when to play the set up, and defensive games.

Honestly, I think I dont have the "killer instict". I think I'm just to nice of a guy

training?....Im nice....very nice....too nice.

coaches, and people who I consider to be much better than me have told me in the past that I need to work on this, because you fight how you train, but the truth is I just dont feel that way....I am in two completely different frames of mind....when training, I want to work on my technique, I want to get a good workout in, and I dont want to hurt anyone....when Ive been in actual fights, there are two things on my mind, one is, "This guy wants to hurt me", and two, "Im going to make him pay for wanting to hurt me."

something Ill never understand is a fighter who hits a guy once or twice, really good, has him on the run, on the way out, and he STILL hangs back....I dont do that....if I hit you once, and youre rocked, fuck the gas tank, Im going to jump on your ass and Im going to finish you.

a shark is a perfect killing machine....if there is blood in the water, it doesnt just swim around in circles and continue to nip at you, it fucking tears you to shreds.

When I was in high school I thought I didn't have the "Killer instinct' ("You gotta get angry son!" Dodgeball/Wrestling coach comes into my mind so many times) then I had my first wrestling match, then for some reason I just went psycho.

i have it when i compete ... the difference is in practice i always take my time with subs to make sure i give my training partners enough time to tap in competition though i'll crank their shit as hard as i can right away i guess thats what killer instinct equals in grappling as being too agressive is often a weakness

alexgncw said:
in competition though i'll crank their shit as hard as i can right away
i dont think so bro. its one thing to lock up a sub till the ,say , the arm is fulling extended (and very difficult to escape) and its another to crank the shit out of it with bad intentions.

Back