Killer instinct

im doing my first comp in a few months so i dont know what to expect (other than what ive seen on youtube)

im just gonna go all out and see what happens.

Really? That's interesting, man. Could you elaborate?

My first competition is coming up soon, and I wann go in there friendly, smiling, ready to roll hard, but I was also thinking I'm gonna have to be a bit meaner. Rolling, I don't cross face too hard, and I rarely dig elbows in or anything like that, but in a competition I assume that's par for the course-- things like the "rape" choke (can someone please give me a better name for that, really?), butterknife choke, etc.-- things I don't ordinarily do in rolling, I feel like those are definite.

Also, if I throw or sweep someone real hard, or they give some indication of an unusually painful thing occuring, I check and see if they're okay.

"Homer Simpson choke"

huh?? the game is kill or be killed, but its just a game. In muay thai the more relaxed (experienced) fighter usually wins, the same can be said about bjj. You just have to have the skills & confidence to execute. I smile & have a good time & usually win, its fun.

I messed up my last fight. There was a delay to the start of the match so I got talking to my opponent, making conversation... Anyway, got armbarred in about a minute.

My mistake (not to say I would've won by any stretch cos I just plain got sloppy and got caught), but the guy seriously looked like he was gonna puke on the mat before the fight he looked so nervous. I think I calmed him down during the delay

I dont think getting angry or being friendly are good options. It should more or less be a state of Zen, or no mind. You go in there knowing you are prepared and have encountered everything you are about to see in practice already. You relax, use your set ups and seize opportunities to score or finish with explosiveness.

I completely agree! I think it is best to be in the state of no mind. If you're thinking about, "This guy killed my family." or "I'm gonna rip him apart!", etc., you're then slightly distracted from what you need to do to "rip him apart". Like you said knowpx, it's just best to be relaxed and to react with your techniques.

Back