Killer instinct during a brawl

Thunderstruck91

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been in a brawl with other unknown guy for personal reasons that I'm not going to tell them, and I've noticed that I don't have that killer instinct needed to "rush" and kick off the guy's ass. And I've even cant use my fighting skills.

In tournaments it's ok, but in situations like this, it's like a turn off.

I've been practicing Karate Shotokan for 8 years (brown belt) and actually I'm orange belt in Kosho-Ryu Kenpo.

Sorry if I posted in a wrong section.

Thank you

What exactly do you want people here to tell you? "Get more killer instinct"?

I presume that your Shotokan competitions aren't full contact. Try doing some hard continuous sparring, like you are preparing for a full contact competition.

The adrenaline dump you are going to experience in tippy tappy karate comps is no where near the adrenaline dump when somebody wants to take your head off.

First of all, you shouldnt be fighting. It's stupid and immature. I almost got into a fight at a Forever 21 (yes, they have a men's section, suprisingly. I was visiting a friend who works there, dont judge me) the other day, and i looked like an asshole.

Secondly, it's just nerves, that's just how your body reacts, It's raw, invested emotion.

I presume that your Shotokan competitions aren't full contact. Try doing some hard continuous sparring, like you are preparing for a full contact competition.

The adrenaline dump you are going to experience in tippy tappy karate comps is no where near the adrenaline dump when somebody wants to take your head off.

couldn't have said it better.. you can also spar full contact on the street more often with almost no rules.. the more you fight, the more comfortable you get.

I am a bit similar to this ... i simply don't fire until I am mad as hell and it can be a bit dangerous... Once i get mad its a little different... i tend to look back and think wow i didnt really remember planning that as in throwing strikes or bodying... it just comes out ... both sparring comp, and the odd bar scuffle...

I no longer practice Karate, and in Kenpo I fight in full contact. It's exactly like Kickboxing, but low kicks aren't legal.

And It was a serious reason for me to fight, I'm not immature and my long martial arts years made me a disciplined person.

I don't get it why I'm ok in my full contact competitions, but in a brawl I feel an asshole and can't use my learning...

I am a bit similar to this ... i simply don't fire until I am mad as hell and it can be a bit dangerous... Once i get mad its a little different... i tend to look back and think wow i didnt really remember planning that as in throwing strikes or bodying... it just comes out ... both sparring comp, and the odd bar scuffle...

Yh Im like that, when i had a fight were i tried to think i ended up gettting a baseball bat round the back, but when i go in angry or when ive "Switched" i tend to do better??

i can hardly throw pinches with my left hand as i feel its useless no technique or nuttin, but when ive lost it i seem to get better technically, tho usually i used to walk through the punches untill i was close enough for headbutts but i knocked a guy down with a overhand right that i had only seen and just tried like 30 mins before on the punch machine, i KOd somebody after duckin n weavin givin em a few jabs then a side kick to the head, this was shit i had never done but had only seen. Its crazy but it kinda worries me that i have to "switch" to be willing to fight.

First of all, you shouldnt be fighting. It's stupid and immature. I almost got into a fight at a Forever 21 (yes, they have a men's section, suprisingly. I was visiting a friend who works there, dont judge me) the other day, and i looked like an asshole.

Secondly, it's just nerves, that's just how your body reacts, It's raw, invested emotion.

Your honesty leaves me speachless. Inspiring.

I no longer practice Karate, and in Kenpo I fight in full contact. It's exactly like Kickboxing, but low kicks aren't legal.

And It was a serious reason for me to fight, I'm not immature and my long martial arts years made me a disciplined person.

I don't get it why I'm ok in my full contact competitions, but in a brawl I feel an asshole and can't use my learning...

I'm happy to hear that you left tennis or shotokan or whatever you were doing for some full kontakt art.

It's the whole context. Brawls are mostly about intimidation. The guy who scares the other one the most will likely win. The most aggressive will also most likely win. You can be a very good full-contact fighter and not have what it takes psychologically to fight on the streets. There's no shame in it.
It takes much more courage and also a bit of crazyness to fight on the streets.

I'm happy to hear that you left tennis or shotokan or whatever you were doing for some full kontakt art.

It's the whole context. Brawls are mostly about intimidation. The guy who scares the other one the most will likely win. The most aggressive will also most likely win. You can be a very good full-contact fighter and not have what it takes psychologically to fight on the streets. There's no shame in it.
It takes much more courage and also a bit of crazyness to fight on the streets.

That's my point of view :wink:

Full Contact = under the protection of rules/regulations and a referee and corner men all looking out for your well being, the fight can also be ended at any time.

Street Fight = No rules, no regulations, nobody to protect you and if the opponent has the upper hand he is in control when it ends, which can be to the point of death. Not to mention in Full Contact you know what to expect, punches, kicks, maybe knees but in a street fight there can be eye gouging, groin shots and headbutts + weapons.

Fight or Flight kicks in, you chose to be in a Full Contact tournament so there is less fear than a random and unknown street fight.

My 2 cents.

i don't really have it either cause fights outside sport are stupid to me, but even without being in the "mode" I still am good enough to kick an untrained idiots ass, if he attacks you just punch him to his chin or kick him in the head (but don't break his neck ;).

This is the best comment I've seen on Sherdog.

I've been in a brawl with other unknown guy for personal reasons that I'm not going to tell them, and I've noticed that I don't have that killer instinct needed to "rush" and kick off the guy's ass. And I've even cant use my fighting skills.

In tournaments it's ok, but in situations like this, it's like a turn off.

I've been practicing Karate Shotokan for 8 years (brown belt) and actually I'm orange belt in Kosho-Ryu Kenpo.

Sorry if I posted in a wrong section.

Thank you

It sounds to me like your "problem" is that you have ethics, integrity, and common sense. There is probably a psychological disconnect that will not let you engage in fighting conduct outside the gym, (because of the consequences), unless you or someone you care about is in immediate danger of serious bodily injury or death.

You may actually surprise yourself concerning how much aggression you are capable of, if someone pushes the right buttons, under the right circumstances. More than a few people have left posts about the foolishness of engaging in "unnecessary" street fights, and I would have to agree.

I am a little longer in the tooth "age wise" than most people who post here, and can tell you for a fact, that most of the really good street fighters that I have "personally" known are either in the penitentiary or dead. Trust me, it is not as glamorous as some people make it out to be. It only takes one incident of unbridled stupidity, to change the course of the rest of your life. So, choose your physical altercations outside the gym wisely.

:icon_chee

It sounds to me like your "problem" is that you have ethics, integrity, and common sense. There is probably a psychological disconnect that will not let you engage in fighting conduct outside the gym, (because of the consequences), unless you or someone you care about is in immediate danger of serious bodily injury or death.

You may actually surprise yourself concerning how much aggression you are capable of, if someone pushes the right buttons, under the right circumstances. More than a few people have left posts about the foolishness of engaging in "unnecessary" street fights, and I would have to agree.

I am a little longer in the tooth "age wise" than most people who post here, and can tell you for a fact, that most of the really good street fighters that I have "personally" known are either in the penitentiary or dead. Trust me, it is not as glamorous as some people make it out to be. It only takes one incident of unbridled stupidity, to change the course of the rest of your life. So, choose your physical altercations outside the gym wisely.

:icon_chee

That's what I think too, exactly the same.

A nice post. Thanks, mate :wink:

Out of curiosity- how'd the fight go? Because it doesn't seem like you'd be asking this unless you were somehow dissapointed in your performance...

That said, I think you have to take into account the fact that when you're competing, especially in a specific ruleset like full- contact Karate where everyone has recognizable/ familiar styles, you get used to seeing people move like that. Maybe an uneducated brawler threw you off, because of his lack of form/ technique.

I haven't been in a fight since I was in grade school, and "killer instinct" wasn't really a problem for me... I was in judo at the time, and I just tripped the other kid, sat on him and started beating his face like Ralphy in 'A Christmas Story'. Ironic part is that the other kid was a redhead just like Scott Farkus (minus the yellow eyes).

I don't know what to tell you, man... personally, I feel like Muay Thai sparring is much more brutal and about effective aggression, which is what street fighting seems to be heavily based on.

Back