Kill Bill: Vol 1 vs Vol 2

?

• Total voters

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Which part of Kill Bill do you like better?

I've always liked Vol 2 better. Vol 1 is great and all, but Vol 2 feels more well thought out and polished. In particular some of the musical cues in Vol 1 feel a little heavy handed on repeat viewings - like when Uma nd Lucy Lui are staring each other down, and there's a 70's funk song playing, it just feels emotionally irrelevant to the scene and trying a little hard to be cool. Vol 2 has less of that, feels more well considered the type of music and things that he used to emotionally tell the story.

That being said, I wish they'd officially release The Whole Bloody Affair.

Tbh since the release of v2 i ever considered the whole thing one single piece

Not really worth comparing because it is essentially one single movie that became a product of compromise between Tarantino who doesn't want to cut down the minutes, and the studio that won't release a 4 hour behemoth of a movie.

Kill Bill ''1'' was so bad, I've never been anywhere near ''2''

Not really worth comparing because it is essentially one single movie that became a product of compromise between Tarantino who doesn't want to cut down the minutes, and the studio that won't release a 4 hour behemoth of a movie.

It certainly doesn't feel like the two halves are fundamentally different to me, if you were picking and choosing it would make more sense to look at the different sub sections which shift around more in influence/style.

"The Man from Okinowa" section would be my favourite, great mix of comedy and drama with a excellent performance by Chiba.

It certainly doesn't feel like the two halves are fundamentally different to me, if you were picking and choosing it would make more sense to look at the different sub sections which shift around more in influence/style.

"The Man from Okinowa" section would be my favourite, great mix of comedy and drama with a excellent performance by Chiba.
I’ve always thought they were pretty different. The colors, the way they were filmed, choices of music, etc. seem pretty different. Vol 2 has more of an emphasis on dialogue IMO. Vol 1 has extended fight scenes, where Vol 2 doesn’t really (other than Bride vs Elle, which has a diff style to what we see in vol 1). I’ve always thought that if it were released as one film, the shift from one to the other would be kind of jarring.

I’ve always thought they were pretty different. The colors, the way they were filmed, choices of music, etc. seem pretty different. Vol 2 has more of an emphasis on dialogue IMO. Vol 1 has extended fight scenes, where Vol 2 doesn’t really (other than Bride vs Elle, which has a diff style to what we see in vol 1). I’ve always thought that if it were released as one film, the shift from one to the other would be kind of jarring.

They are different but I think more so because the subsections are different rather than the films as a whole having totally different ideas to them.

They are different but I think more so because the subsections are different rather than the films as a whole having totally different ideas to them.
The overarching plot is still the same of course. But I’ve always thought vol 1 is kind of slick, bright colors, RZA music, extended martial arts fight scenes. It’s a Tarantino Kung fu flick. But Vol 2 is subdued color-wise, desert-y, spaghetti western style music by Morricone. When the Bride encounters Bud or Bill, we don’t see the extended fight sequences like we do when she encounters Vernita or O-Ren. I’ve always thought that they were pretty different style-wise, and I prefer vol 1.

Volume 1, although I enjoyed both.

The inclusion of an anime segment to flesh out O'ren's backstory, won me over hugely. I was locked in at that point, and left the theater hyped for the next volume.

The overarching plot is still the same of course. But I’ve always thought vol 1 is kind of slick, bright colors, RZA music, extended martial arts fight scenes. It’s a Tarantino Kung fu flick. But Vol 2 is subdued color-wise, desert-y, spaghetti western style music by Morricone. When the Bride encounters Bud or Bill, we don’t see the extended fight sequences like we do when she encounters Vernita or O-Ren. I’ve always thought that they were pretty different style-wise, and I prefer vol 1.

The Bud section does have a westernish atmosphere to it which wasn't as obviously in the first film beyond perhaps the sheriff in the opening but it also has a kung fu influence elsewhere and indeed it does have a long fight scene with Elle Driver. I think its moreso that the film being spilt in two means that the second half ends up with a bit more character substance.

I suspect if the spilt had an effect it was in playing up O-rens character more as the main antagonist in the first half.

I've always liked Vol 2 better. Vol 1 is great and all, but Vol 2 feels more well thought out and polished. In particular some of the musical cues in Vol 1 feel a little heavy handed on repeat viewings - like when Uma nd Lucy Lui are staring each other down, and there's a 70's funk song playing, it just feels emotionally irrelevant to the scene and trying a little hard to be cool. Vol 2 has less of that, feels more well considered the type of music and things that he used to emotionally tell the story.

Did you make this thread for me, since I mentioned its my most liked QT movies?

I liked Vol. 2 better, as the fight scenes are shorter but still super cool.

I have to revisit these. I saw them when they first came out and didn't like them. But I wanted his gangster shit back then.

They need each other to really work, & it’s all one thing anyway.

I vote for the whole bloody affair.

Have you watched the Whole Bloody Affair? If so is there much difference other than full colour?

The only difference I knew of is the ending of vol 1 is changed so that they flow more seamlessly. Any other details Im not sure about.

The only difference I knew of is the ending of vol 1 is changed so that they flow more seamlessly. Any other details Im not sure about.
I think all the black and white scenes are now in colour, they only did it to get around the sensor with all the blood. Not sure what else there is though

Its one story
Was only split because no one would sit in a cinema for that long

Therefore the Whole Bloody Affair

Back