Kids of BJJ Today and What They Are Not Learning or Maybe They Are?

I've heard rumours that top BJJ blackbelts are sending their kids to learn judo rather than jiujitsu...

From the tone here I get the impression you think that to incentivize takedowns you would need to go to great lengths. On the contrary, I would say the pendulum is already swung in the other direction; it requires much more arbitrary scoring criteria to *remove* the incentive for takedowns than it does other wise.

All you would need to do is apply basic logic to the current ruleset (if sweeping is worth points because it puts you on top, then...) and make so that gaining top position, however it happens, is worth points. Then people will naturally gravitate to the most expedient methods of satisfying this criteria while denying their opponent, which would be takedowns from neutral.

Personally I think cribbing from the takedown rules in folkstyle would work good; one point escape, two point takedown, three point reversal. A nice seamless encapsulation.
I think a big thing that would help is taking out advantages and forcing control to be established on sweeps/reversals

I thought my little league coach was a psycho! WTF was that all about???

Looks like one kid was getting hammerlocked? And the kids dad went full on rage mode. I find it kinda funny, but agree with other people that if it were my kid, I would pepper that man with teh jabz.

I thought my little league coach was a psycho! WTF was that all about???
White trash gonna white trash. Nothing more annoying than white trash that pretends just because they don't live in the trailer park anymore, they aren't white trash anymore

I guess I did not communicate myself well. I'm not criticizing the rules, its up to the competitor/school/teacher to know whats allowed and what is not for that specific event. For me as long as the kids are having fun and learning. The "style," taught to kids is meaningless, because they will grow and evolve and use everything they have learned. If my post made some think I was slamming anyone that was not my intent, and the fault of me as the poster.........

^ true, but neglecting takedowns and takedown defense = injury. At the least, it should be taught competently enough to void this as much as possible. Hell, i've injured adults with simple take downs in tournaments. Kids who can't take a fall get hurt, and more so than the adult does as their body is still developing.

White trash gonna white trash. Nothing more annoying than white trash that pretends just because they don't live in the trailer park anymore, they aren't white trash anymore
Come on, man. I'm not annoying!

Lol

I'm not being elitist, I grew up in the trailer park too lol. But that's also the same reason I have a low tolerance for trashy behavior
Just read some European history... Royalty fucking sisters, fighting neighbors.... We're all white trash ;)

Just read some European history... Royalty fucking sisters, fighting neighbors.... We're all white trash ;)
Eh I'm a firm believer behavior makes you trashy lol. Not where you're from. I know plenty of people from good backgrounds who act trashy and vice versa lol

Isn't that basically a kimura that kid applied on him, or an aoki/mr wonderful? That's legal to crank it like that? I understand neck cranks and the like are done so your opponent basically pins himself out of pain, but a shoulder lock doesn't seem as safe

I've heard rumors that top BJJ black belts are sending their kids to learn judo rather than jiujitsu...
i think that is the way to go. self defense judo/sambo/hapkido/traditional ju jitsu,wrestling/catch wrestling, and a striking art. everything start standing.

From the tone here I get the impression you think that to incentivize takedowns you would need to go to great lengths. On the contrary, I would say the pendulum is already swung in the other direction; it requires much more arbitrary scoring criteria to *remove* the incentive for takedowns than it does other wise.

All you would need to do is apply basic logic to the current ruleset (if sweeping is worth points because it puts you on top, then...) and make so that gaining top position, however it happens, is worth points. Then people will naturally gravitate to the most expedient methods of satisfying this criteria while denying their opponent, which would be takedowns from neutral.

Personally I think cribbing from the takedown rules in folkstyle would work good; one point escape, two point takedown, three point reversal. A nice seamless encapsulation.

Sweeping points are not scored because you end up on top but because you reverse a position and end up in a "dominant" position. The idea behind it is that if you pull guard, then you choose to be in that position and thus your opponent should not score. If your opponent puts you there he should be awarded points due to forcing you. If you were to always award points for getting on top you would lose a big part of jiu-jitsu IMO. Suddenly you will get these boring matches where people who can't throw or wrestle try to anyway and it's a 10 minute affair of nothing and wrestlers could come in straight of the street and smash even more because pulling guard is "bad". The reason why jiu-jitsu is so dynamic is BECAUSE we allow the game to go almost anywhere the players choose. Be it throws, 50/50 or closed guard.

What I feel most people are getting worked up about (not you in this case) is their idea of jiu-jitsu as self-defence. As a sport the rules should only cater to practicioners of the sport and nothing else. There are no strikes allowed, ergo it's completely irrelevant whether or not the opponent can rain hammerfist on my face in deep-half. Jiu-jitsu is so appealing to me because it is free. I can play however I like, almost, and my opponent can do the same.

I do not feel you should incentivize any game more than another.

I do not feel you should incentivize any game more than another.
Cool, my game is to pull bottom mount so I can try and escape straight to an ankle lock and I also focus on giving my back to go for kimuras. Not sure why BJJ rules are player-hating me, though.

Cool, my game is to pull bottom mount so I can try and escape straight to an ankle lock and I also focus on giving my back to go for kimuras. Not sure why BJJ rules are player-hating me, though.
And you are free to do just that- if you can manage to get a submission during those 5-10 minutes. There are also plenty of sub-only competitions tailor-made for the likes of you.

P.S. I've once witnessed a successful leglock finish from the bottom mount during a competition.

Anyhow, I'm just curious, is it true their parents took them out of school to train BJJ full time?

Aren't they home schooling them rather then having them skip classes? The will just learn the same things in 1/10th the time and just drill berimbolos rather than get stupid smoking weed with some morons they met at school.

The idea behind it is that if you pull guard, then you choose to be in that position and thus your opponent should not score.

The problem is that this is myopic relativism.

If you really want what you say you want, then don't award points at all. That way everyone can be a winner.

(or just do sub only).

Aren't they home schooling them rather then having them skip classes? The will just learn the same things in 1/10th the time and just drill berimbolos rather than get stupid smoking weed with some morons they met at school.
I have no idea, which is why I asked.

Anyhow, if that is what they like doing then more power to them.

Back