Kids' BJJ Curriculum

SoSexy

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I was recently offered a chance to start a kids' class at our academy's newest location. My instructor is giving me our team's official curriculum and asked me to just tailor it towards' kids' tournament rules.

However, if possible, I'm looking for something specifically made for kids. I will likely have very few students to start with but the goal is to grow the program and give these kids something to look forward to every week (program is only on Saturdays for now).

With this, it'd be really awesome if any of you guys can refer me to any existing kid-specific curriculums online, or any resource that will help me formulate one of my own? Really hoping it'll be something cheap or most preferably free.

Thank you very much in advance!

How old are the kids?
If they are young, I would suggest Gracie bully proof program.
Tell him to buy it because it is worth it .

heel hooks and neck cranks only

you need to instil confidence in these kids and there is no better way of doing it then taking there partners knee home

How old are the kids?
If they are young, I would suggest Gracie bully proof program.
Tell him to buy it because it is worth it .

I was thinking 6-12 and then possibly a separate teens class if there's enough interest. Yeah I was looking into Gracy Bullyproof as well. Seems to get really good feedback online.

I'd stick to the classic basics - one or two subs, escapes, reversals from each position and have them doing the same things most weeks. Kids learn from repetition and don't really get concepts IMO. The best kids judo instructor I've seen had the kids building up to a core of say 20-30 techniques and drilled them every single week once they'd got to that point, he only introduced new stuff very occasionally once they'd been through the basics class but preferred to refine the basics.

In fact I wish the adult classes were taught like this rather than the random selection of moves you tend to get each class.

However with kids you have to make it fun or they give up so plenty of games and mini competitive bits seem to work (from watching my kid's classes). I think that is the biggest challenge for the younger ones - to balance the fun with the learning.

I was thinking 6-12 and then possibly a separate teens class if there's enough interest. Yeah I was looking into Gracy Bullyproof as well. Seems to get really good feedback online.

If you cannot afford the Gracie Bullyproof, I suggest the following system.

1 takedown for 4 classes.

1 topic per class and situational rolling.

Mount
Back
Side control
KOB
guard subs
guard pass
guard sweeps
top 1/2 guard
bottom 1/2 guard
turtle
Q & A.

Back