Kid Yamamoto had one of the GOAT peaks P4P ever

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ExitLUPin, Nov 6, 2020.

1. ExitLUPin K

This guy was a BW and knocking out ranked LWs. He was never the same after 2007 w/ injuries/surgeries but his last 2 wins still held up for the past couple years as Yahya was 7-1 in the UFC recently and is still competitive with good fighters. He's been one of the best submission fighters for a while and one of the most underrated fighters in general. Bibiano has been one of the best BWs for years and was even a very good FW with a FW GP win and win over a borderline gureat LW in Hellboy. He's been one of the better P4P fighters of the lighter weight classes for about a decade now. Only lost to Kid and Faber which was as anticipated a superfight as almost any back in the mid 2000s. Kid was a top 10 ranked P4P fighter in his purime along with Faber. Outside of Fedor, Wand, Shogun after GP, Saku (altho getting washed at that point), maybe Gomi/Penn but they had their detractors, hardcores there wasn't a more beloved or highly regarded guy in mid 2000s

He has an NC to Josh Thomson because of a nut shot but Kid was dominating him before that. Think about that. This BW was dominating Josh fucken Thomson. A world class LW that was Strike force LW champ with wins over Kajan,Razor Rob, Bang, Franca, Noons, JZ, Healy, Giblert, who most thought got robbed against purime Benson Henderson and who head kick TKOd Nate Diaz.....was getting dominated by a bantamweight....

He wasn't the only LW. Royler, Uno and Genki all got finished by him in a LW tourney.

Then afterwards he did this which is basically tied with Masvidal for fastest KO ever

Overall wins over

Katsuta
    Curran
    Miyata
    Jadamba (had a really solid career specially FW career after, prolly GOAT Mongolian fighter in MMA, had a gureat tooth and nail fight with Gafurov, one of the best FWs outside UFC , at their peaks)
    Royler
    Uno
    Genki
    Bibiano
    Yahya

Not many fighters have beaten quality opponents at 3 weights. Anderson, Hendo, Pettis, Saku, Penn, arguably Conor....Not much else. And Kid is the only one from BW-FW-LW

He had a controversial personality due to how conflicting it was with Japan norms.

He also had the GOAT fighter ink and shorts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In an age where almost everyone's tattoos sucks specially fighters he stood out in a good way. If there was ever one azn fighter who would've been a superstar in UFC even in WME era it was Kid. With his personality, ridiculous explosiveness/athleticism, KO ability, weight jumping, all-around skills and flair/style. IMO a peak Kid could've been a 2 weight champion in today's era. 3 is prolly too far with how much weight LWs cut now unless he got a really favorable matchup or if he could make 125 which I don't think so. But at 135 to 145 he would've been a nightmare for anyone

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    kidkia, Afroken, king_mische and 37 others like this.
  2. HHJ Fedor and Khabib Supremacist

never liked him.
    Never forgot or forgave
    [​IMG]

Moonwalker95, Olir and Masturbin like this.
  3. dracul Green Belt

still cant believe he is gone

rip

4. dracul Green Belt

friend

*insert ronda punching gif

5. HHJ Fedor and Khabib Supremacist

UL!

dont worry i wont tell anyone its you,UL

6. ExitLUPin K

I'm not saying I agree but I understand. At least he apologized and Katsuta shouldn't have been talking trash to family member specially sisters. Some guys don't handle that well

Moonwalker95, TR1, Xavier and 4 others like this.
  7. Travis Alexander Amateur Fighter

Killa fuckin Bee!

Whiteasdana likes this.
  8. HHJ Fedor and Khabib Supremacist

I hear that,I didnt know any context,but fuck man. If ya gotta do that take it outside the ring. Aint nobody trying to see that.

9. Ownaging White Belt

If that's the only person he did that to, it might be excusable, but he was prone to late hits after fights had been stopped. Was never a fan b/c of that.

Moonwalker95 likes this.
  10. CalvilloRay Brown Belt

He died shortly after Mac Miller. I was crushed by both. Was a shitty September. RIP Kid.

11. HHJ Fedor and Khabib Supremacist

Yeah...neither am I..

Like when Gomi snapped on Alvaredo,I figured OK,he kinda lost it there for a second, He didnt seem to do it out of sadistic tendencies like Kid was...but the way he acted immediatley after put a bad taste in my mouth about Gomi. Here you had a dude you beat on while he was unconcious,and had several people need to pull you off...and you...go up and celebrate on the top rope?? while Chute boxe all want your fuckin head? It didnt make sense. Gomi is a head case. Anyway..we didnt see him do anything like that again. Maybe he got humbled. Other stuff he did pissed me off but nothing like that.

loyalyolayal and sampuncher like this.
  12. dracul Green Belt

;)

HHJ likes this.
  13. pankrat Black Belt

I think he could have made 125, which makes all you said even more impressive. No way Kid was bigger than Figueiredo

14. ExitLUPin K

Good point. I never thought I'd see BJ @ FW.........or Aldo @ BW......or Barboza @ FW........ Depends on Kid tho I don't think he would've wanted to make that cut

15. decideonsuicide Blue Belt

He's a legend.

But that Sudo fight was definitely an early stoppage.

16. Goatenstein Yellow Card Yellow Card

He would certainly be a GOAT if he had been five years younger. Unfortunately he'll never get the respect he deserves outside Japan.

Haj01, cmw43 and stinkynecklace like this.
  17. Substance Abuse Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

Hell yeah he did. RIP.

ch1584 likes this.
  18. pankrat Black Belt

He would have needed to work extensively on his ground game to be a GOAT imo.

Seso likes this.
  19. stinkynecklace Blue Belt

Great thread, Kid is so underrated. A prime Kid would be a handful for any of the ATGs at flw or bw.

ch1584 and SomniumRabidum like this.
  20. Danespina Gold Belt

Crazy that we got the dream fight in Kid Yamamoto vs. Demetrious Johnson. I remember when that fight started they stood so far from each other because they knew they could close the gap that quickly.

DJ Kid 2.png

Haj01, ch1584 and FEDORFAN44 like this.