Kid Hit By Car, Legal Question...

Joe Wong

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So my 8 year old step daughter just got hit by a car. Shes totally fine, it was at a stop sign so she got tapped while on her bike, with her friends around. I met the guy, he was very shaken up. I assured him that she was fine, which she is, and also assured him that there would be no surprises in terms of legal action etc. We traded phone numbers etc.

Now im sitting here thinking. Should I be the one worried about surprises? there was some dude there that was a witness to the whole thing so theres that. If There's any damage to his car etc. Should i file a police report?

Fuck im totally oblivious in a situation like this, but im more pissed off at her for not stopping at a fuckin stop sign.

shouldve got the witnesses numbers as well just in case. but it should be fine if ur not gonna file anythin

I'd file a police report. People are fucking scumbags and will take advantage of any situation given the opportunity. It's just about protecting yourself.

I think the guy would have a hard time going to his lawyer and saying a kid threw himself into his car and damaged it.

I think if anything, they guy is probably terrified and wants to forget it. I was tapped on a bike once too as a kid and had a similar situation. I was fine and just told the guy to forget it. You can tell he was a nervous wreck and you can definitely put yourself in their shoes.

Personally, I would let it go. It probably wouldn't hurt to fill out a police report but at the same time, that's escalating the issue.

I wouldn't sweat it.

What's the guy gonna claim? Your eight year old fucked up his bumper with her Huffy?

I think the guy would have a hard time going to his lawyer and saying a kid threw himself into his car and damaged it.

I think if anything, they guy is probably terrified and wants to forget it. I was tapped on a bike once too as a kid and had a similar situation. I was fine and just told the guy to forget it. You can tell he was a nervous wreck and you can definitely put yourself in their shoes.

Personally, I would let it go. It probably wouldn't hurt to fill out a police report but at the same time, that's escalating the issue.

He could easily file an insurance claim and say a child ran into his car and caused damage. I think you have to make a judgement call based on the person, but in my experience, people are pieces of shit like 90%+ of the time. I guess it depends on the damage too.

Maybe I'm paranoid because my girlfriend is in a dumb situation like this right now, and it would have been 100% avoided if she just called the police at the time of the accident.

You're over thinking it. I bet the guy is just relieved and happy no one was hurt and you won't be sueing him.

thats would b the normative reaction.

but after everythins thats happened so far, i wouldnt b surprised if there were scumbags in the world

There's only one thing you can do now, TS. I mean, there's no time machine to go back in time to correct the numerous, numerous mistakes you should have corrected before you made them.

You need to beat the shit out of your daughter. Preferably with dude's car. You traded contact info, right? Get on it.

I want to come out and say I'm not a lawyer or anything but I heard you aren't even supposed to file a police report if the damage is under $500.

His car got knicked and there was no damage to it and your girl is okay so what's the problem? Bygones be bygones and be happy everything turned out for the better.

There's only one thing you can do now, TS. I mean, there's no time machine to go back in time to correct the numerous, numerous mistakes you should have corrected before you made them.

You need to beat the shit out of your daughter. Preferably with dude's car. You traded contact info, right? Get on it.

giphy.gif

I agree with this. The guy would be a fool to start some shit with you, and would very likely lose his shirt if he did. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

California State Vehicle Code classifies any motor vehicle collision with a pedestrian, cyclist or a motorcyclist as an "injury" accident, regardless of outright, obvious injury or lack thereof. Call your local PD and request that the incident be documented. That's why they're there and that's what they get paid for.
Glad the little girl is OK.

Haha, thanks guys. My mind is somewhat at ease now.

He definitely was terrified and i know had i been in that situation i would be scared shitless.

It's extremely unlikely the guy would do anything. It would, however, be monetarily very beneficial for you to send your kid to the doctor a couple of times with complaints of soreness/pain from the injury. Any lawyer would get you several thousand minimum for a girl getting hit while riding a bike (assuming the guy was negligent)

Put it in her college fund. She'll thank you later.

I too hit a child with my car today TS. As long as you gave him a good smack to the face to bring him back to his senses, told him not to tell anybody or you'd fucking kill him and his entire family, then cut one of your hands each and swore a blood oath, finally sending him on his way with a freshly lit cigarette you should be fine.

Oh, your kid was hit by a car, well this is awkward..

Cops came by. I guess the guy probably sat in his car and made a sherdog thread and was advised to call the cops.

Now i probably look negligent for not doing so, lol. They got some information, cop said his car was fine and documented it. Checked on our daughter, she was fine. I feel better now....still just pissed off i was awoken from a nap for this stupid situation that should have been prevented.

So my 8 year old step daughter just got hit by a car. Shes totally fine, it was at a stop sign so she got tapped while on her bike, with her friends around. I met the guy, he was very shaken up. I assured him that she was fine, which she is, and also assured him that there would be no surprises in terms of legal action etc. We traded phone numbers etc.

Now im sitting here thinking. Should I be the one worried about surprises? there was some dude there that was a witness to the whole thing so theres that. If There's any damage to his car etc. Should i file a police report?

Fuck im totally oblivious in a situation like this, but im more pissed off at her for not stopping at a fuckin stop sign.

He'll probably let it go unless there's an unexpected amount of damage to his car that will cost a significant amount to repair. If your daughter ran the stop sign then I believe (about 90% sure) she's technically at fault for the accident so if he files a claim you'll likely be responsible.

Back