Kicks...

xbourquex

White Belt
Reaction score
Something really weird happened friday, I had a fight and everytime I threw kicks they seemed in slow motion and my opponent caught them everytime. I just saw the video today and realized that my kicks were like at 25% of my capacity.. Has this ever happened to someone else? (was my first fight in my hometown, was pretty stressed out) Could it have been just the nerves or ? I really don't get it, I felt like I was kicking at my max, but the results sucked..

p.s: only my 3'rd fight.

The way you're moving in the ring with all that adrenaline is probably not the same. Like your feet are probably alot heavier and that would hinder your kicks for sure.

If you're tense, you'll kick slower

Hardly comparable and i haven't yet had a fight BUT......................

When doing bagwork, sometimes I feel like my kicks really lack snap, and so I concentrate on the technique for a few kicks, rather than jus putting the leg across, make sure you are 'aiming' up so you turn/roll your hips over. This obv creates the snap and follow through that you want when kicking, and I can usually feel an instant improvement... This is probably a moot point for you being more experienced n fighting, but I spose anything can happen when the adrenaline is flowing.

Speed is king

When fighting though yeah, you will be slower due to putting your all into every kick and when you're a rookie, that means you'll be loading them up instead of relaxing

ahh nvm guys, I just found my answer! Nah, but on a serious note, shouldn't the adrenaline help me kick harder?

What a big amount of adrenaline does to a person is not predictable. Some people lose all concentration, for some everything runs in slow mo, some get in a rage, some just freeze and can hardly move. With more experience you'll get more control in your actions, just give it time.

Back