Kicks in Khabib/Conor

On the flip side what is one way to beat a puncher?

Kicks -- Round house to conor's head (following up with a straight right on occasion). Just over and over - throw one to the body here and there. conor has to block it or get knocked out and it occupies the left hand.

On the flip side what is one way to beat a puncher?

Kicks -- Round house to conor's head (following up with a straight right on occasion). Just over and over - throw one to the body here and there. conor has to block it or get knocked out and it occupies the left hand.
That would be true if we were talking about Lee or Barboza. But khabib is not known for his kicks. They are average IMO. I think khabibs best way to beat a puncher is to get take downs. If he can use head movement against Conor and hit his takedowns he should be successful IMO. If he stays in front of Conor he’s a dead man.

That would be true if we were talking about Lee or Barboza. But khabib is not known for his kicks. They are average IMO. I think khabibs best way to beat a puncher is to get take downs. If he can use head movement against Conor and hit his takedowns he should be successful IMO. If he stays in front of Conor he’s a dead man.
Just and example and yeah I know khabib does not have that roundhouse to threaten conor.

Honestly, I think a modified crossover arm placement (off the top of my head think Joe Frazier, Ken Frasier or 2nd career George Foreman) is a perfect way to close the distance in MMA. Yoel Romero does it and I saw a modified version that TJ used

It is a way to protect your chin (head) and close the distance. And if you've got a good hook a great way to get in close while protecting yourself then throwing when you've stifled conor's range and then being in range for your clinch.

He probably won’t throw them. He never threw them fast and they just give Khabib an easy setup for a takedown. Like others have said, he has changed his style. Honestly, he’d probably be better off throwing those spinning kicks and mixing it up in this fight. Waiting to throw his counter left isn’t a good strategy against someone that isn’t looking to stand and bang.

Then again, people get in the cage with Conor and do dumb shit. All of a sudden they want to prove they’re the better striker and not the better fighter. A lot of Aldo’s game was countering, but he couldn’t wait 10 seconds to lunge at Conor. Mendes caught a knee right at the beginning and dumped him, but then looked hesitant. He got the timing down on those front kicks in the first minute and caught one and chose not to do anything with it. Alvarez even said after the fight that he doesn’t know why, but he got in the cage and abandoned the game plan and tried to stand with him.

I think if Khabib fights smart, then it is an easy fight for him. I think if he decides to try to prove he doesn’t have poor striking, then Conor embarrasses him. Either way, I think it ends up being a pretty short fight.

Conor uses the oblique kick to the knee pretty well and is somewhat safe to throw because if he misses he wont be out of balance or position. He could try body kicks which Khabib will have an opening on the right side of his body (liver) if he keeps orthodox stance.

Khabib could easily throw inside kicks to Conor's lead leg which Conor needs to generate power for his left hand. McGregor's right knee is toast. And fighters have knocked him down with leg kicks.

Conor often tries to use front kicks and teep kicks to try and control the distance. Will he use them vs. Khabib or will he be too worried about the takedowns? Kicks would definitely help Conor set up a big punch for the stoppage but I don't feel they are necessary. I also don't think Khabib needs to catch a kick in order to take down McGregor, he is fully capable of that in any circumstance. Do you all think Conor tries to strictly box Khabib on the feet or will he risk those front kicks and spinning attacks he seems to love?

For the record I think this fight is 50/50... I don't have a favorite.
Khabib will be just fine taking Conor down. If he sticks to the game plan of closing distance learn to keep the chin down try and attack the single leg AWAY from Conors left hand it shouldnt be a hard fight. Chad Mendes on 12 days notice was able to take Conor down with typical American style wrestling when Khabib has a completely different style you cant mimic.

Khabib I feel will get it to the ground, against the cage (just as Nate was able to clinch with Conor against the cage) take Conor down use his legs to wrap up Conors legs, in the mean time controlling Conors right wrist which he likes to do with HIS left pulling it across the belly or to the side of Conor. This leaves Khabib able to throw big strikes to Conors face and all McGregor can do is use that one arm Khabib doesnt have ahold of to block punches (which wont be intelligently defending himself) OR do what we see most fighters Khabib has down they use that one arm to post up in order to try and skoot their body out and get up if they can which fails since they take more shots to the face.

Thats a setup for when the opponent in this case (Conor) has no choice but to fall down to his back to continue to stop more relentless shots to the head/face with that one free hand...which allows Khabib to MOVE to mount.... Khabib then frees McGregors controlled arm at that point like he always does so he rain down shots with both fists. EVEN IF Conor makes it out of the first his gas is running on empty by round 2.

As we have seen time and time again, Conor on bottom will panic give up has back or just get saved by the referee. Khabib is not your ordinary wrestler/grappler.

^^^^^ the tight tucked chin and forearm/elbow, shoulder of the rear (and top of your head) protect your chin. the lead hand protects your body and can be used to catch or parry kicks.

Last edited:
This

Talking shit about Jose being basic. Everybody was fucking basic till Diaz choked him out. Comes out in the rematch with his guard up throwing low kicks <YeahOKJen>

Besides, all the kicks and the other shananigans are just smoke and mirrors to set up the most lethal left hand in the sport
Conor's teep kicks are hardly "smoke and mirrors" and have a real effect on his opponents body and cardio.

that one landed on khabib's neck barely missing the jaw
Crazy to think that Barboza was that close to flushing khabib
Yeah, it was calf meat on neck and forearm. A flush land would have ended that fight. That was NOT a flush kick by any stretch of the imagination. You can hear the slap of meat, instead of the thud of bone to bone

He's got underrated kicks in general.
Some people unironically say he's only a mediocre boxer with a weird stance
Yea well half this site never saw aldo fight besides highlight videos of aldo getting koed. Most of think nate is a scrub, not knowing hes a cesar gracie bb tied with maia for the 3rd most sub in ufc history. At best their 1st fight seeing nate was MJ getting dismantled so nate is top levek pro boxer. They dont get diaz is a lanky guy with a decent 1-2 and check hook that uses his chin and cardio to drown guys into getting subbed.

there is also this

Unfortunately, khabib is not the guy to make use of this or have the necessary skills to pull it off.

I'll do better when i have my new keyboard ..lol

typing with a mouse truly kills the creative mind

Nothing is ever that simple though, It's a waste of time entertaining that level of analysis

You have been using that excuse since the Floyd fight lol.

Kicks thrown properly help defend takedowns

To be fair I’m high more than I am drunk lol @Arm Barbarian and @MescalineDreams may get a little testy when they are drunk but usually stay consistent and drop knowledge with their late night posts! Respect to both of you fools!
weed and mma brings me places

you might catch me the odd time breakin shit down high af lol

it's rare, blue moon type shit but that's when I'm at my best

weed analysis Is next level

You have been using that excuse since the Floyd fight lol.
excuse? this has happened 3 times now. It's no excuse It's called 3 busted keyboards'

i type essay's usually bruh, It's pretty easy to tell

It would be epic to see Conor finally finish someone with a spinning roundhouse kick. He's never done so before; in fact, he rarely even lands one.

Khabib will be so focused on Conor's hands (especially the lethal left) that maybe McGregor will sense the right moment to catch him off guard with a brutal head kick.

Conor often tries to use front kicks and teep kicks to try and control the distance. Will he use them vs. Khabib or will he be too worried about the takedowns? Kicks would definitely help Conor set up a big punch for the stoppage but I don't feel they are necessary. I also don't think Khabib needs to catch a kick in order to take down McGregor, he is fully capable of that in any circumstance. Do you all think Conor tries to strictly box Khabib on the feet or will he risk those front kicks and spinning attacks he seems to love?

For the record I think this fight is 50/50... I don't have a favorite.
He had great success in the 2nd Diaz fight with kicks. I think he definetly uses them again

Back