Kicking with the foot

And what do you suggest for ankle injuries? I've never had a problem with pain on the instep or much damage there. I get it in the ankles.

If your ankle hurts you might be kicking wrong. A lot of guys turn the shin over too much thinking it'll protect them from kicking someone's elbow and just end up twisting the hell our of their ankles because of the new angle of attack. But if you're just landing ankle to elbow, well that is going to suck anyway you put it. But conditioning that part of your leg to take abuse will help.

I'll take a faster kick that lands (at extended range) over a slightly more powerful kick that, in the case of MMA, everyone throws, knows and rarely lands clean...

1. Of course Muay Thai is a TMA. I never said otherwise.

2. Power in a kick has everything to do with the practitioner. Even if the MT roundhouse tech is different, that doesn't automatically mean it's superior or inferior with regards to power or speed. While I agree most TKD guys are in the group you mentioned (fast, varied, weaker), that doesn't mean they're doing the technique correctly, (or the correct tech for that matter) for a power kick.

i disagree. Biophysics and biomechanics still obey the laws of physics. If you take two idenitcial people and teach one a tkd kick and another a muay thai kick you will have different results.

If you take two idenitcial people and teach one a tkd kick and another a muay thai kick you will have different results.

A long long time ago I sparred with a copule of my friends, one of which is a decent TKD competition fighter (or was). (I had only done a month or so of MT training, so aside from putting the low roundhouse in a few times I had nothing to offer). His kicks were CRAZY lol. So fast and direct yet still pretty powerful. (mostly side and hi low/low hi kicks). Spent most of my time watching or blocking his foot with my face, or I would of been if he was actually making hard contact. But watching him and his other TKD practicioner train was like watching moving art. You train up a Tkd guy and an MT guy for a year, the style in which they fight will be hella different. I agree with ninjakiller in that I haven't met anyone from a TKD bg who can throw a low roundhouse like a MT trained guy, tho I'm sure if you gave that guy a lot of MT training he would be a hell of an MT fighter, but as someone else said, it would require learning to kick 'out of the norm' to how hed been kicking and been taught to kick for YEARS. I was very surprised at just how powerful side + axe kicks can be tho.

Also, here in the UK, (this again from my TKD friends I only went to one session with them) competitions at the heavier weights basically involve power and gradually descend into more brawling, with both just tryina knock the block off the other.

To stray a bit mor eoff topic - I have a couple of friends who train MT that trained karate when they were younger. One became a decnt level karatea and this has helped him stupidly, hes a big guy and yet stil very, very fast, I think mostly because of his previous karate work.

2. Power in a kick has everything to do with the practitioner. .

No.

If you take 100 fighters and train all of them the throw the left jab and right cross, every one of them will end up with a more powerful cross than jab. This is true even if their left arm is equally as strong as their right because the cross derives power from the legs/hips and body twist/shoulder whip. Meanwhile, the jab is just an arm punch.

If you take 100 fighters and teach them all the MT style roundhouse and TKD style roundhouse, their MT roundhouse will be more powerful. This because the MT kick uses hip rotation and centrifugal force and the TKD/Karate style "chambered" roundhouse relies on the muscles in the quadriceps to power it. The chambered style TKD/Karate kick is more deceptive and faster. It allows for things like Brazilian kicks and double kicks. It isn't remotely as powerful as the MT kick.

They are two different techniques with their own pro's and cons.

If you haven't studied both techniques you don't have a basis from which to make a comparison. This is an MMA forum. You might actually try MIXING your MA up a little rather than just coming here and defending your TMA on the basis that "X million Koreans can't be wrong."

No.

If you take 100 fighters and train all of them the throw the left jab and right cross, every one of them will end up with a more powerful cross than jab. This is true even if their left arm is equally as strong as their right because the cross derives power from the legs/hips and body twist/shoulder whip. Meanwhile, the jab is just an arm punch.

If you take 100 fighters and teach them all the MT style roundhouse and TKD style roundhouse, their MT roundhouse will be more powerful. This because the MT kick uses hip rotation and centrifugal force and the TKD/Karate style "chambered" roundhouse relies on the muscles in the quadriceps to power it. The chambered style TKD/Karate kick is more deceptive and faster. It allows for things like Brazilian kicks and double kicks. It isn't remotely as powerful as the MT kick.

They are two different techniques with their own pro's and cons.

If you haven't studied both techniques you don't have a basis from which to make a comparison. This is an MMA forum. You might actually try MIXING your MA up a little rather than just coming here and defending your TMA on the basis that "X million Koreans can't be wrong."

Make all the assumptions you want about me, but stop putting words in my mouth. I know what kind of forum it is (i've been here longer than you Mr. Five posts a day) and I train in more than TKD. That's not relevant to the thread you happen to know so much about.

Your description of the "TKD style roundhouse" leads me to believe we've talking about two different TKD kicks. There's a snapping one that I think you're talking about as well as a thrusting one, the one i've been referring to.

Staying on topic I still say kicking with the foot is fine if you do it right.

If you condition your feet like you condition your hands it won't hurt at all. It actually make the bones denser and stronger

Make all the assumptions you want about me, but stop putting words in my mouth. I know what kind of forum it is (i've been here longer than you Mr. Five posts a day) and I train in more than TKD. That's not relevant to the thread you happen to know so much about.

Your description of the "TKD style roundhouse" leads me to believe we've talking about two different TKD kicks. There's a snapping one that I think you're talking about as well as a thrusting one, the one i've been referring to.

Staying on topic I still say kicking with the foot is fine if you do it right.

I am speaking very specifically about roundhouse kicks. You can't very well use the shin as the impact area on a side or back kick and you have to get really deep to use one on a front kick and only if the target is the groin.

You said .[/quote]And to stop this myth right now, properly taught Tae Kwon Do guys kick just as hard as properly taught MT guys. Tae Kwon Do isn't just pansy point sparring. There's a reason it's a style of fighting favored by an entire nation..[/quote]

I didn't put any words in your mouth, nor did I turn the conversation to the relative kicking power of anything. And, moreso, never said anything negative about TKD kicks in general or TKD roundhouse kicks more specifically. Its just a different technique. The jab is less powerful than the cross, its still one the the best techniques in boxing. There's a time and a place for both.

Don't be so goddamned sensitive.

Kicking with the foot is retarded and should be made illegal in all countries.

Back