kicking with flat feet

Captain_Dammitt

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So my trainer says I have flat feet and I have a really, really hard time throwing roundhouse kicks because I can't get the pivot for the snap. Any suggestions?

Work on staying on the balls of your feet. Keep it in mind everytime your doing anything involved with striking. Just keep reminding yourself to stay on the balls of your feet until it eventually becomes natural.

I can stay on the balls of my feet for the most part when only using hands but once I start kicking my feet feel glued to the ground.

I have extremely flat feet, my friends give me lip for it constantly. It's nothing really, don't limit yourself for something that's so miniscule to the rest of your training. Learn to adapt and practice, practice, practice. Nothing says practice more than 1000 kicks on a bag. Just force yourself to get on that ball man, trust me it'll happen. Took me a while, but I'm here, I can headkick fine with both legs and am constantly on my balls :).

It's not an issue. I had flat feet to the point that I had to have built up shoes as a kid, I kick just fine. It's your technique or muscle balance problems. Saying you can't kick because of flat feet is like the saying that you can't walk or run very far with flat feet, it's a myth.

It's not an issue. I had flat feet to the point that I had to have built up shoes as a kid, I kick just fine. It's your technique or muscle balance problems. Saying you can't kick because of flat feet is like the saying that you can't walk or run very far with flat feet, it's a myth.

Yes, it is an issue. It doesn't mean you "can't" kick, but it does make it harder - something that's apparent when you're training with other people without the same issue.

TS, I've got the same problem, like TheFinerDetails says, you can get there. It's a combination of adjusting your technique, putting in the practice, and patience. Accept that this one thing will be difficult for you and take your time. Work on other things to compensate.

Either learn to pivot on the ball through practice,

Or, do what Bas suggests in his videos and step the foot out, opening the hips before you throw. That way the pivot is already done.

There are very few correct ways to throw things, mostly it's different approaches.

Yes, it is an issue. It doesn't mean you "can't" kick, but it does make it harder - something that's apparent when you're training with other people without the same issue.

TS, I've got the same problem, like TheFinerDetails says, you can get there. It's a combination of adjusting your technique, putting in the practice, and patience. Accept that this one thing will be difficult for you and take your time. Work on other things to compensate.

TS said that his trainer said he has flat feet. If TS hasn't been diagnosed with flat feet before the age of age of 10 or 12 as having foot problems, it is almost certain that he has flexible flat feet as opposed to rigid flat feet.

Studies have been done by various military organization and non of them have shown decreased strength or increased chance of injury. The arch in the foot works as a shock absorber, so it is preferable to have but doesn't limit performance.

I had to wear built up insteps in my shoes as a child until my early teens. My archs have fallen again due to training Muay Thai with no shoes and wearing unsupportive shoes too much. I can categorically state that beside some pain under my foot in the beginning, it has had no impact what so ever on how I strike. There was not reason to "adjust my technique". It's a myth that people start to believe themselves, then use as a crutch for lazy technique.

Skip more. Strong calves make it easier to move on the ball of your feet.

Back