Kickboxing still can be save

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by strebitel86, Jul 14, 2020.

1. strebitel86 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Now that Glory is on the brink of collapse and bankruptcy, I see only 2 things on how to save it.

1. Edwin van Os of Enfusion buys, combine it with Enfusion and acquire all it's fighters.

2. Hire Simon Rutz of It's Showtime to manage the promotion, Kickboxing is on the highest stage in Europe under his management and It's Showtime is a respected promotion.

- I don't think Bellator and ONE are capable of resurrecting the Kickboxing scene, and there's no way K-1 being a regional promotion now can fix it.

2. strebitel86 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

To be honest I'm not a fan of the Glory brand and how they managed the promotion,

Kickboxing is for Europe and Asia only.

No one cares about it in North America,
    Glory never learned their lesson.

Loriquero likes this.
  3. strebitel86 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I hope they bring back the It's Showtime brand, the ring girls, the ring entrance, the ring announcer and the commentators.

wtu85 likes this.
  4. strebitel86 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Glory forcing to break the US market was probably the worst thing they've ever done.

5. strebitel86 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I forgot to mentioned that Glory is in huge debt, there's no reason to buy it.

Just get all the talents.

6. wtu85 White Belt

Well, in 2012 it seemed an obvious business decision. MMA (UFC) was there but it was not evident that it will be the only big fighting organisation. If challenged, the US market would have been even bigger than the European market. As far as I know, the Americans liked K-1, therefore it was considered that there is genuine interest in kickboxing there.

In my view, they failed to:

1) bring some stars/top fighters from MMA . I don`t know if they tried it, but it certainly did not work out. It would have helped to attract the attention of the crowds from UFC to Glory.

2) to create a US top fighter. The only talented guy, Joe Schilling left Gory after some disagreements. It was mistake to let him go. He was a good and aggressive fighter. Solid kickboxer.

3) Focus more on heavyweights. One punch KO`s are what people are after. The average viewer does not know/appreciate technique and strategy, they want to see big punches. In this regard K-1 did very good. The show was all about heavyweights. Yes, there was K-1 Max but it was not so spectacular. What Glory did, is to focus on smaller wights and people from Muay Thay background. MT is all about technique, KO`s are very rare. Kickboxing is also about power. I was falling asleep while watching some fights. Also, defensive/evasive style fighters did not help either. Doumbee style...

4) Bring good fighters on board. There were several fighters who came and went which were not top level material. As someone noted above, it seemed a Golden Glory Gym sparring. They let important people go: Saki, Holzken, Schilling, Spong and others. Saki was robbed bit time in his match against Rico, he was pissed so much... He left shortly to UFC. The irony is that all those fighters did not made it afterward.... Saki is doing nothing in UFC, Spong is fighting bums in the boxing ring in the US... It is a waste of good fighters.. it`s a shame.

Freakzeek likes this.
  7. strebitel86 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I agree with, on how Saki, Spong, Ghita, Levin and Cavalari are treated really sucks.

8. strebitel86 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I still have high hope for kickboxing, even at this point.

9. Shadess ...

If Glory actually went away, would be nice to see the Dutchies come together a bit more in some form, don't know if Edwin van Os or Simon Rutz are any answer to save kickboxing though. Hopefully the girls/dancing bs, announcers and commentators are a thing of the past.

10. strebitel86 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Well that's what makes European kickboxing unique and more entertaining.

wtu85 likes this.