Kickboxing starting to turn into Boxing

J

Julius_Caesar

I miss the days where it was just K1 and all the best were at one place facing each other. Now days some of the best fighters are not in the same promotion. You have guys like Sittichai who's willing to fight anywhere against anyone then you have guys like Petrosyan who want to be a big fish in a small pond or guys like Roosmalen who would rather play it safe and stay with Glory because he gets jet lag in Asia (what he said in an interview) but yet will face Sittichai in Holland who's literally been in the country for 2 days and is willing to take that risk for money and legacy.

I don't care about these fighters fighting in a few different promotions but there should be at least one promotion where all the best compete. At the moment its all over the place with petrosyan in Bellator. Superbon, Yodsanklai and Jomthong in Kunlun. Marat and roosmalen in Glory. Kaew in K1. Qui Jianliang in Glory of Heroes. Kyshenko in Kunlun and etc.

The sport is starting to turn into boxing with all the different champs not facing each other which is one of the reasons why I went off boxing. I'm not s big MMA fan but I like how the UFC have all the best in the sport compete against each other for one belt for every weight division. Kickboxing needs to learn from them and start sorting this shit out.

Do you agree or not? If you disagree i can't see how you can be a true fan of the sport.

What answers do you expect? Of course it sucks.

Kunlun right now is doing the best thing. It has more champs and less protected champions like other promotions. But the thing is that unlike boxing these kickboxers do not get paid like boxers do. These promotions do it for money, some of the fighters do it for money too. Yes it sucks but its because of money, and for some promotions, nationalistic pride.

K-1 and Glory seemingly the ones restricting the competition. GoH fighters are "free" to fight elsewhere and Kunlun fighters are fighting elsewhere.

Glory might be a bit better if/when they actually do the 18 events in 2017. Could have room to bring in some more top guys and also maybe people don't have to sit around waiting for a fight so much.

If only there was a sport where the best fighters consistently fought each other every week.......

But yeah 70kg and to a lesser extent 65kg are frustrating to follow with everyone fighting in different organisations and cherry picking opponents. Don't think you can blame the fighters themselves for going for the smarter career moves though. Why would Buakaw fight the likes of Yodsanklai when he can maintain his brand by fighting mid tier chinese fighters?

I'm still dreaming of the day when some Chinese billionaire pays to put together a tournament with Kaew, Noiri, Yamazaki, van Roosmalen, QJL, Bulaid, Varga and Embree.

To be fair though, its still better than boxing. In 70 and 65 kg where there is the most separation we have two clear lineal champs in Superbon and Kaew.

No Chinese will pay to put that together. Get rid of one or two of the K-1 guys+Embree and put in some Chinese fighters and then it's dream probable, maybe :)

QJL-Kaew will happen as soon as K-1 let's it happen. Which is probably not anytime soon.

1-ꓘaew ducking QJL!!!1111

Last edited:
The sport has been fragmented since the fall of FEG, and they only had two weightclasses so these other weights were even more fragmented than they are today.

I miss the days where it was just K1 and all the best were at one place facing each other. Now days some of the best fighters are not in the same promotion. You have guys like Sittichai who's willing to fight anywhere against anyone then you have guys like Petrosyan who want to be a big fish in a small pond or guys like Roosmalen who would rather play it safe and stay with Glory because he gets jet lag in Asia (what he said in an interview) but yet will face Sittichai in Holland who's literally been in the country for 2 days and is willing to take that risk for money and legacy.

I don't care about these fighters fighting in a few different promotions but there should be at least one promotion where all the best compete. At the moment its all over the place with petrosyan in Bellator. Superbon, Yodsanklai and Jomthong in Kunlun. Marat and roosmalen in Glory. Kaew in K1. Qui Jianliang in Glory of Heroes. Kyshenko in Kunlun and etc.

The sport is starting to turn into boxing with all the different champs not facing each other which is one of the reasons why I went off boxing. I'm not s big MMA fan but I like how the UFC have all the best in the sport compete against each other for one belt for every weight division. Kickboxing needs to learn from them and start sorting this shit out.

Do you agree or not? If you disagree i can't see how you can be a true fan of the sport.

yes because in the days of k1 there were no other big promotions. your thread is spot on.
k1 had all the weight classes and all fighters locked up man.....there was no it's showtime or other promotions. there was k1 and that was it

i agree completely with your view.....you have been thoroughly thinking before you created this thread....good job

Back