Kickboxing stand for outdoors/Shin Strengthing techniques

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by TigerStrike, Jul 12, 2010.

1. TigerStrike Orange Belt

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew a great way to make something for kickboxing. I have a bag, but there isn't any room in my house. I would like to put the bag outside but I have no idea what I would use for a stand. I've seen the ones were they hang and it comes with steel portable stand but the height seems to be to small and I kinda want to be able to circle the bag so I can hit it on all sides. Im willing to build one out of materials from lowes,menards,etc.

Also I would like to know some great techniques the strengthening my shins besides hitting bags and pads all day.

2. Mooney Blue Belt

Find a tree with a low enough hanging branch, the heavier the bag the more effective this is, otherwise youd wanna find a way to stop it swinging like crazy (just personal experience)

3. CONQUERER23 Orange Belt

I don't think medically there's any proof of strengthening the shin bone. I believe you're simply increasing its tolerance to pain the more you hit things with it.

4. Gelocoster White Belt

there is..they once was speaking about it on National Geographic Channel, about Wolv's law or something like that...its when u hit something, particles of your bone crack..when its recovers,it recovers with more intense

5. roundkick Yellow Belt

Either bury and cement a 4x4 and wrap it in garden hose or get some fire hose and fill it with sand. After this you obviously kick it... You could also repack your bag using paper, cardboard, rice and ripped up t shirts

6. DannyT Orange Belt

Yeah, wolf's law basically says when you hit something, it causes fractures in your bone on a microscopic level. Once it recovers, the bone heals together thicker and denser.

7. CONQUERER23 Orange Belt

If Wolfs law is accurate then wouldn't getting hit on the chin and jaw make them stronger? Doesn't appear that theory is true, just ask Chucky Liddell.

8. DannyT Orange Belt

Well, taking huge shots on your chin and jaw won't help. That's like throwing a brick on your shin LOL.

9. SAAMAG San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

1. Wolff's law / Mechanostat / Cortical remodeling are medical facts.

2. Chuck Liddell's and anyone else's ability to take a punch has nothing to do with the density of the chin or jaw bone...and more to do with the relationship between his bone structure, neck muscles, and the nerve ganglions in his head and neck areas.

Here's a little something I found for you guys:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/15/sports/othersports/15chins.html

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  10. xilliun Brown Belt

I'm gonna take the bait here...

If your analogy is correct, everytime a KO occurred the recipient would receive a broken jaw. A KO happens when there is a sufficient enough transfer of force to the brain to enable a knock out. The chin and jaw have nothing to do with it.

11. euroclydon** Orange Belt

OK let me try to clear up some misconceptions here.

1. Repeated stress on any bone WILL indeed make it stronger over time. That is a fact you can easily research if you take the time.

2. The problem with Chuck Liddell getting knocked out was not because his jaw bone was weak. Notice the bone did not get broken. Getting KO'ed when getting hit in the chin happens when the jaw bone gets pushed back in relation to the rest of the face shocking the nerves that reside at the base of the jaw - resulting in unconciousness if the impact is great enough.

So if anything, the problem when someone talks about a "weak chin" is weak jaw muscles that don't lock the jaw in place enough - not a weak jaw BONE.

12. Bennosuke Blue Belt

@TS- Hanging heavy bag stands are plenty high. However, you they will inhibit you from walking around them. You could try to build a contraption to hold the bag up, but I would assume it would have to be very very big. I have imagined building a large three sided frame with heavy supports at the legs.

If you are practicing kicks, a standing bag is not such a bad alternative and can probably be bough cheaply on craigslist. (It also seems that wherever I go, I have a neighbor who has one just sitting in their back yard, and who will sell it to me for cheap :icon_chee). These bags don't mimic the swaying of the bag when punching but can be good for shin conditioning as they have plastic in the middle and often aren't very padded.

On the topic of Cortical remodeling, I'm sure it does occur in the shin with training (although there is probably minor deformation due to where the stress is placed). However, most of shin conditioning revolves around training the nerves, skin and soft tissue in the anterior part of the shin to absorbing and withstanding shin to shin contact. Most of the time a checked shin kick will just hurt like hell, and the goal is to be able to shrug it off.

13. Rado Blue Belt

For shins, just hit thai pads and they will eventually thicken. No need for drastic measures in my opinion. But if you really want one, just kick a palm tree. :)

14. Hezig White Belt

just get yourself one of these :icon_chee

[​IMG]

And go EASY the first few weeks, 2 days rest in between.

Easy as in no visible pain is in your face, remember you're causing trauma and fractures at a microscopic level to bones that have never received that kind of treatment, so they need time to rest and get accustomed to.

After a month or so increase pressure and repeat, then after a few months reduce resting to 1 days. And NEVER roll them before any hard sparring, or when heavy pad/bag work is done, that's just asking to get injured. best roll them lightly after if your really have to in case you have knots or bumps in them. (thats another topic, just try to keep your shins bump free as much as you can)

This is like a year long process so don't go kicking 2x2 after a month lol :redface: (yeah wish I knew this a few years back...)

just my 2 cents.

-Hezig-