Kickboxing heavybag workout

Misfit1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I recorded part of today's workout. I usually do the Bas Rutten workout but he calls off combinations so quickly the only kicking techniques I have time to use are front & round house kicks (I'm 43 so I'm getting slow).

:icon_sad:

Working regular rounds allowed me some different choices.

[YT]9FjYXcs-bT4[/YT]

Need to stretch more. You look incredibly tight like if you kicked above your chest you would tear 19 muscles. And keep your left hand up, dropping it way too often.

+1 for choice of music though :D

Damn, i want a bag in my house like that.

But the posts on the side don't look safe for if you miss a full speed kick. Some broken toes right there.

Need to stretch more. You look incredibly tight like if you kicked above your chest you would tear 19 muscles. And keep your left hand up, dropping it way too often.

+1 for choice of music though :D

You're absolutely right on both accounts!

:icon_lol:

Stop throwing hook kicks. Those require great flexibility to be useful. You don't have great flexibility.

The good: Your jab is actually not that horrible, although it is slow. Your front kicks could be worse. Your spinning back kick coudl be worse, although it looks dangerous with your setup.

The bad: your cross needs a lot of work

The ugly: You drop your hands on your "combinations", which are very slow. your left hook is bad.

The ugliest: Your roundhouses are simply put, awful. You practically stand square when you're throwing them. Try to practice by turning your plant leg so that it's facing the opposite direction of the bag.

The good: Your jab is actually not that horrible, although it is slow. Your front kicks could be worse. Your spinning back kick coudl be worse, although it looks dangerous with your setup.

Not much worse. He literally isn't using his hips in those front kicks. When you thrust out your hips, your body is going to lean back a bit-- his body is literally leaning forward. It is all thigh. And instead of rechambering and bringing his foot back into a battle stance, he's just dropping the foot.

Last edited:
Good stuff. One thing I noticed was that you lean a bit with your punches. You get your head a bit forward on your front foot, it takes away your snap in your shots and also would be troublesome for you is you sparred a counter puncher.

EDIT: sweet song! Will have to bring that back into my rotation.

You need to work on your hip mobility as a priority for your kicking. And you don't 'open' your hips at all when you kick. Turn your support foot out at a 45 degree angle. You'll gain a huge amount of power just by doing that one thing.

Congrats on being 43 and being able to throw down like that. Good on you!

Its hard to maintain flexibility as you get older. He is 43. I'm only 35 and I have noticed a massive deteriation in my ability to maintain my flexibility and to recover from training sessions without my whole body tightening up. I assume this is happening to TS.

Maybe at this stage in his training the advice shouldn't be to open up the hips more on the higher kicks but to focus more on the lower kicks and make sure the hips are still being pushed through?? You don't need to kick high to be a good fighter. Sometimes you need to change the way you fight because your body no longer responds like it did at 21.

Good stuff. One thing I noticed was that you lean a bit with your punches. You get your head a bit forward on your front foot, it takes away your snap in your shots and also would be troublesome for you is you sparred a counter puncher.

EDIT: sweet song! Will have to bring that back into my rotation.

Thank you, I'm taking everyone

Turn over the hip more when you kick.

Back