Kickboxing Global Awards with Michael Stets, John Joe O

mr107

White Belt
Reaction score
MMA Plus have dropped their kickboxing awards with John Joe O

JJ, you and none of the people in that group would blur the lines and select a Thai stadium fight as fight of the year for kickboxing awards, so why do it on a fighter who didn't kickbox?

Also, Petboonchu was fighter of the year in 2013 for just a publication of some kind. The actual current fighter of the year voted by writers in March was Panpayak Jitmuangnon. As for year end awards I believe Yodwicha won a big won in 2013 and Superbank won it this year.

Really i just shoehorned that in there to give the guy a shoutout because i thought his efforts this year deserved a mention, he's from the UK and so am i and it was the UK fighter category.

are you sure about Petboonchu? http://www.muayfarang.com/en/petboonchu-borplaaboonchu-vince-il-premio-fighter-of-the-year-2013/

thanks for the long rambling comment on my Nieky Holzken article by the way, very helpful to have more of your "muay thai is better than kickboxing" comments repeated again.

Maybe in 2015 you can get your head around the fact that thai language broadcasts, 'funny' thai names and extensive clinching plus not easily understood/logical scoring criteria means that it doesnt have much appeal for non-thai audiences and it wont ever be anything other than what it is?

I mean, surely you dont intend to spend all of 2015, 2016 etc etc repeating yourself over and over? Please?

Dave Walsh's name should be in the thread title really, he's by far the senior kickboxing writer out of all of us

Last edited:
FOTY for me is Ristie Kiria even though it was upsetting
Agree with Schilling as US fighter of the year
Reece and Jauncey are good prospects. would be interesting if they fight each other.
If including muay thai fighters as well I would say that Dan Mcgowan is also a prospect of the year and maybe even UK fighter of the year

FOTY for me is Ristie Kiria even though it was upsetting
Agree with Schilling as US fighter of the year
Reece and Jauncey are good prospects. would be interesting if they fight each other.
If including muay thai fighters as well I would say that Dan Mcgowan is also a prospect of the year and maybe even UK fighter of the year

for me it wasnt FOTY because Kiria got his ass panned for three and a half rounds then switched it, to me that was Comeback of the Year but not FOTY; the brutal back and forth of Marcus/Schilling did it for me. I also liked Marat/RvR for its high pace and technicality.

It's still not wrong what JJ said. There are plenty of fighter of the year awards, some more prestigious than the others.

for me it wasnt FOTY because Kiria got his ass panned for three and a half rounds then switched it, to me that was Comeback of the Year but not FOTY; the brutal back and forth of Marcus/Schilling did it for me. I also liked Marat/RvR for its high pace and technicality.

To me that made it fight of the yar the way he came back and looked like he was on the verge of getting stopped.

Schilling v Marcus was an excellent fight too.

Forgot about RVR and Marat. RVR is always in great fights. I liked his fight ith Kiria too.

It's still not wrong what JJ said. There are plenty of fighter of the year awards, some more prestigious than the others.
Ya and Ramon Dekkers was fighter of the year as well.

Stop it.

When someone is saying Muay Thai Fighter of the Year the general perception is that it's referring to the Sports Writer Award, not some random publication.

When someone is saying Muay Thai Fighter of the Year the general perception is that it's referring to the Sports Writer Award, not some random publication.

Siam Keela is the biggest mt newspaper and not some random publication. The sports authority award is also up there with the sports writers award.

Nothing wrong with what he said.

Last edited:
Siam Keela is the biggest mt newspaper and not some random publication. The sports authority award is also up there with sports writers award.

Nothing wrong with what he said.
I know we're splitting hairs at this point but saying he is THE current fighter of the year isn't the same as saying he is A fighter of the year.

THE current fighter of the year is the one that won the biggest accolade and that's Panpayak.

Really i just shoehorned that in there to give the guy a shoutout because i thought his efforts this year deserved a mention, he's from the UK and so am i and it was the UK fighter category.

are you sure about Petboonchu? http://www.muayfarang.com/en/petboonchu-borplaaboonchu-vince-il-premio-fighter-of-the-year-2013/

thanks for the long rambling comment on my Nieky Holzken article by the way, very helpful to have more of your "muay thai is better than kickboxing" comments repeated again.

Maybe in 2015 you can get your head around the fact that thai language broadcasts, 'funny' thai names and extensive clinching plus not easily understood/logical scoring criteria means that it doesnt have much appeal for non-thai audiences and it wont ever be anything other than what it is?

I mean, surely you dont intend to spend all of 2015, 2016 etc etc repeating yourself over and over? Please?

Dave Walsh's name should be in the thread title really, he's by far the senior kickboxing writer out of all of us

All those names listed are the winners of the "sports writers fighter of the year." Panpayak Jitmuangnon won it for 2013. Petboonchu has never won that. The muay farang people mixed things up obviously.

Lol, just checked that out and "Cocakillbana fan" is not me. But ok.

Last edited:
OK well i stand corrected on the FOTY year comment then. Whilst the award of FOTY was from a prestigious publication it wasn't from the sports writers body, which is what is generally considered "THE fighter of the year".

Last edited:
All those names listed are the winners of the "sports writers fighter of the year." Panpayak Jitmuangnon won it for 2013. Petboonchu has never won that. The muay farang people mixed things up obviously.

Lol, just checked that out and "Cocakillbana fan" is not me. But ok.

hahaha if that really isn't you and someone has chosen the name Cocakillbana Fan that's amazing. The start of a movement :icon_chee

Q - what is a Cocakillbana ?

hahaha if that really isn't you and someone has chosen the name Cocakillbana Fan that's amazing. The start of a movement :icon_chee

Q - what is a Cocakillbana ?

Nothing

I started typing and that's what came out.

lol amazing coincidence - i mention something from the comments section on one of these articles and suddenly after that the comment section fills with comments from different people all suddenly wanting to say how muay thai is better than kickboxing yadda yadda zzzzzz

please take your medication cocakillbana; this obsessive-compulsive obsession is not healthy. It's clearly you because nobody else is sad enough to bother or has the same obsession with the topic.

All comments, good or bad, add to the article's clicks and SEO weight though so please do continue. The comments themselves are clearly the rantings of an obsessed madman so its not like anyone is actually reading them and taking them seriously. It sounds somewhere between "criminally deranged" and "obsessed ex girlfriend".

lol amazing coincidence - i mention something from the comments section on one of these articles and suddenly after that the comment section fills with comments from different people all suddenly wanting to say how muay thai is better than kickboxing yadda yadda zzzzzz

please take your medication cocakillbana; this obsessive-compulsive obsession is not healthy. It's clearly you because nobody else is sad enough to bother or has the same obsession with the topic.

All comments, good or bad, add to the article's clicks and SEO weight though so please do continue. The comments themselves are clearly the rantings of an obsessed madman so its not like anyone is actually reading them and taking them seriously. It sounds somewhere between "criminally deranged" and "obsessed ex girlfriend".

The only way that is me is if I have some strange sleep disorder. I swear to God that is not me.

I can see how it would appear to be me. Whoever it is, the person knows my postings quite well.

If it was me I'd just say it was.

Wow, that is crazy.

One person acting as a bunch of people and even replying. Haha

It's clearly an active poster who is doing it, or Brocktirement.

Whoever you are please come forward so I can genuflect to you.

LOL I was about to say it's probably Brocktirement...

Back