Kick exchange/kick counter technique video

that first block is asking for your arm to be shattered in two. Outside that, some cool exchanges.

that first block is asking for your arm to be shattered in two. Outside that, some cool exchanges.

That's a pretty common block. She's using her entire left arm as well as the palm of her right hand. Plenty of successful kickfighters use that.

The male student looks very stiff with his kicks, though, like he needs to open up his hips more.

[YT]D0xmru9a76c[/YT]

A kick exchange video that we worked the other day. The accompanying article with it.

http://whatsgoodwithwill.com/dont-kick-win-kick-exchanges-get-last-shot/

You seem like a nice guy and I have seen some of your training vids that I thought were decent. That said, do you train anybody that is competing? I don't ask that to pick on you, just curious as some of these drills theoretically make sense, but applicability (in an actual match) are painfully lacking. I don't know how the rest of your training regime goes beyond these drills I have seen. So my opinion is based solely on what I have seen.

So here is my biggest issue with this drill:

- No upper body engagement in a drill that focuses on "balance", that's not only unrealistic it'll ingrain dangerous habits defensively. The fact You're allowing them to focus solely on whats happening with their legs isn't my issue, it the complete lack of attention (on both your part and theirs) of what's happening with the remainder of their bodies and posture/position. Both your students are looking straight down at one another's legs and dropping there hands, going in-out in straight lines (not so advantageous when a real opponent can also punch/kick/knee/elbow you in the head too). Simply checking one of those kicks and simultaneously sticking a glove in the middle of the kickers chest (a common method for kick checking) would drastically change the dynamic of that drill and several times would of had one of those two stumbling backwards off balance. Further, you never want to allow a student to look down at their opponents legs when attacking or defending (unless it's a feint/bait). It's an "easy tell" and results in their guard dropping (following the focus of eyes) the second a reasonably competent opponent noticed that it's gonna result in one of your students having their head taken off. All an opponent need do is look low (feint) and strike high.......... good night!

- Cross checking a rear leg body kick and returning with an inside leg kick absent a lateral step is a mortal sin in MT, it is begging to eat a straight right hand or left hook (by kicker not stepping laterally they turn right back into the opponents cross off their kick retraction, or right into the left hook during their kick). You either need to make that a body/high kick off that cross check (keeps opponent from ranging right hand and/or pulls head back away from lead hook) or a rear leg kick, in which case you'd add a left hook (i.e: cross check, lead hook high, rear leg low kick.)

Last edited:

It's a standard block, she just isn't proforming it great. The impact should be taken on the upper left arm, outside left forearm and right forearm. She should also have her head tucked behind her left shoulder and glove incase the kick slips up. It's generally used when the opponent is kicking to shoulder or head level and you can't sway out of the way.

Like Sully said I wouldn't go for an inside leg from there, your left shoulder should be cocked all the way back and your weight is braced against the left side. It's the perfect set up for a huge left hook, or on the other side a straight right.

Back