1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Khmer bokator

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by fighter01, Oct 25, 2010.

1. fighter01

fighter01 White Belt

Khmer bokator, has anyone heard of this martial art, dont know much about it other than its from cambodia, and it's an all round martial art incoperating standup, some ground fighting and weapons, if anyone would know any good sites that would have information on khmer bokator, I would be grateful.

2. blizzarddj

blizzarddj White Belt

on human weapon season one they did an episode called "cambodian bloodsport" which featured bokotor

looked alot like muay boran

check it out if you haven't seen it man

3. NovaUniaoWesty

NovaUniaoWesty Yellow Belt

I found some pictures with google images, and I think there are a few youtube videos... My overall impression is that it's like thai boxing combined with silat and 5 animal kung-fu.

4. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

Not a bad summation of it. One of the best source I have found on it is the Human Weapon episode. If that is one the better source, then it should tell you how hard it is to find information. As it does not have a sporting organization, I don't think it has every really gotten much of a foothold out side of Cambodia.

5. Godhand13

Godhand13 White Belt

Tasmania, Australia. It's the little island at the
    Bokator, or more formally, labokatao (ល្បុក្កតោ) is a Cambodian martial art that includes close hand-to-hand combat, ground techniques and weapons. Possibly the oldest existing fighting system in Cambodia, oral tradition indicates that bokator or an early form thereof was the close quarter combat system used by the armies of Angkor 1000 years ago.[1] The term bokator translates as "pounding a lion" from the words bok meaning to pound and tor meaning lion. A common misunderstanding is that bokator refers to all Khmer martial arts while in reality it only represents one particular style.

Unlike kickboxing, which is a combat sport, bokator was designed to be used on the battlefield. It uses a diverse array of elbow and knee strikes, shin kicks, submissions and ground fighting.[2] Practitioners are trained to strike with knees, hands, elbows, feet, shins, and head. Even the shoulders, hip, jaw, and fingers can be used to fight an opponent to submission or death. Weapons are also used, primarily the bamboo staff and short sticks.
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

------------------------------
    Hope that helped mate:icon_chee

6. martiallist

martiallist White Belt

Antonio Graceffo has some videos on youtube on the art of Bokator. I believe he's a black belt in the style also.

7. CelebritySexist

CelebritySexist Foaming with much blood

The modern version is quite by influenced by Hapkido, since the guy who's trying to revive the art has a heavy past in that style. Some of the surviving old masters think this revivalist style is a joke; I'm pretty sure one said the new practitioners walk like crabs.

8. CelebritySexist

CelebritySexist Foaming with much blood

Also, it's in a state of recomposition, so if you're really after something of the ilk, go with Muay Boran.

9. NovaUniaoWesty

NovaUniaoWesty Yellow Belt

You say that like someone just opens the yellow pages and finds a real Muay Boran School

10. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

More likely to find it in the Yellow pages than Bokator I would think.